1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sam Adams: Now (finally) in a can

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Stormfield, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaKur likes this.
  2. What a great idea, LOL.
  3. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

This isn't the first time Boston Beer Company has canned. I used to buy their canned beer for the UK market when I lived there in the early 90s. It was called "Samuel Adams Boston Beer" in a nitro/widget can; like Guinness or Boddingtons.

Here's a pic (of the old can) I took the last time I was in their offices:

[​IMG]
  4. Woohoo! More camping beer variety!
    MilkManX likes this.
  5. I remember hearing that they used a nitro widget like Guinness uses in their cans. Is that true?
  6. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yes. I just updated my post with a pic I took.
  7. Ariz

Ariz Aficionado (110) Alabama May 2, 2009

This is what I've been telling people about modern cans. Pour it in a glass and you'll never know it was stored in a can. I think most people drinking straight from the can get a nose full of the outside of it affects their perception of the beer inside it.
    BogleHill and Stormfield like this.
  8. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

The same could be said for drinking from a bottle, really. I just think that any good beverage deserves to be poured.
    beerme411 likes this.
  9. Old beer can collection in a Taunton basement?
    That's weird. I live in Taunton and would love to see said collection......another fellow BA perhaps?

And yes, SA in tallboys is great news!
  10. I asked a Boston Beer Rep once when Sam Adams would do cans? He said they were not going to be taking part in that gimmick. I told him I thought it was funny that a company that once advertised about the tall cardboard sixers they used to protect the beer from light would find canning to be a "gimmick".
    Ranbot likes this.
  11. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I saw this on Facebook and people repeatedly commented, "No good beer comes from a can!"

I absolutely love beer ignorance.
    BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  12. There's a very simple response to that when anyone makes this statement. The highest rated beer in the world is from a can.
    klaybie and BlackBelt5112203 like this.
  13. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

The more canned beer the better. Harpoon had a number of canned beers readily available last summer and it was awesome. It makes tailgating (or any kind of drinking outdoors with a cooler) much better
  14. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

That's why I like canned beer. Convenience. Also, I don't know. I prefer drinking from a can. Seems easier/better to drink (when compared to a bottle, of course). And now I'm interested in starting a thread... so I will.
  15. Was it brewed and canned in the US or over in the UK?
  16. Brewed in the UK by Whitbread. (BBC would also brew Whitbread Ale and Mackeson Stout for the US market at their Cincinnati brewery).
    [​IMG]
    Todd and Chaz like this.
  17. yup ISO this can!!!!!!
  18. Shout out for Taunton! - Yup, it's just some dude with a hobby.... umm, obsession!
    fearfactory likes this.
  19. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

More like "highest rated on beeradvocate". Ratebeer has it at #33 - for good reason.
    johnhenryconway likes this.
  20. I've never looked at their list before. Quite an odd list with Dark Lord at number 6 and Speedway Stout at number 7 for example. Almost looks like it's an old list.
  21. Norica

Norica Savant (315) Massachusetts Feb 2, 2006

Wow, talk about some serious marketing BS. Anyone who mocks the BMC's for vortex bottles and smooth flow cans should be automatically directed to that article.
  22. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

Why? This article mentions scientifically backed reasoning behind design changes. The Vortex bottle's claim to fame is...well...I'm not sure, actually, as I've never bought one and don't pay attention to commercials.
  23. I'm indifferent on this, but I can see his point. The point of the Vortex bottle though was to drink it faster, same as their "punch top" can for shotgunning. The Sam Adams can is meant to improve taste (like their perfect pint glass) by allowing more aroma to be smelled and direct the beer towards specific parts of the tongue.
  24. The Vortex bottle, which was designed by bottle mfg. Owens-Illinois (with MillerCoors now having exclusive right to the design), has those grooves in the neck to affect aeration and flow when pouring. Not much different in theory than the ridges in the base section of the new Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head IPA glass.
    5thOhio likes this.
  25. What's wrong with speedway stout?
  26. Nothing, but I was surprised to see it in the top ten for ALL beers, and to see it ahead of Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Canadian Breakfast Stout, Bourbon County....etc.
    Mgm54 likes this.
  27. Effects aeration/flow when pouring how?
  28. Really? The Ratebeer list I'm looking at ranks Heady Topper at #11. Is any of that even relevant to this discussion? We can argue the merits of plenty of those rankings. So what? The point is that great beer can come from a can.
    Bluecane and Mgm54 like this.
  29. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Canned beer > bottled beer. Stays fresher longer, no light, no chance of oxygen. To argue those points shows an ignorance of facts.
  30. I don't necessarily think those beers are any better. But I think lists are silly.
    5thOhio likes this.
  31. priwen

priwen Savant (380) Arkansas Apr 1, 2007

I think this is a good move for SA. I would love to see their Double Agent IPL offered in cans.
    Stormfield likes this.
  32. Meh. Doesn't matter to me. I don't take beers along while in the field, so I don't care much about portability, and I'm a simple guy with an unsophisticated palate, so the difference in taste between can & bottle is minimal to me.
  33. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Sammy in a can would go nicely in my golf bag.
  34. If they can Sam Summer they will make some serious money. That being said, Noble Pils in a can would be AWESOME.
  35. I should have specified I was speaking to the beer drinking community in general, rather than my own personal opinion. Dark Lord has been slammed on here, so that was a better fit than Speedway I suppose. Moreover, I only read the forums on beeradvocate, which basically makes all of my statements moot. Maybe the hyped beers (KBS, CBS, BCBCS) aren't as hyped on ratebeer.

I just found it interesting and curious that Heady Topper is so highly regarded here, and number 33 there. Their site's top beers appear to be more imperial stout heavy with minimal double IPAs in their top 20. Lists can be silly, but they can also be fascinating.
  36. Boom goes the dynamite!
  37. Ratebeer has a lot of more international users while BA is American-centric. I'm sure their list is generated differently too. Lots of variables involved.
  38. Ahh ok, that makes sense then. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Stormfield likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.