1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sam Adams: Now (finally) in a can

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Stormfield, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Yep - both sites are equally as useful - they do have different usership. The one thing that's common across the two is that really bad beers will end up at the bottom of the heap on both places.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  2. you've apparently never read the description printed on a can of heady topper ;)

(i'm just joking around, for any onlookers who misunderstood. and for the record, i totally disagree with the reasons stated on the can, re: "hop resins" being the main component of the sediment and the supposed "concentration" or "preservation" of hop aroma by never pouring it out. it's obviously mostly yeast and protein floaties, and they knew it looked unattractive when poured into a glass, but came up with this hackneyed explanation. if the beer smells and tastes great in a glass, as HT certainly does, appearance is of minimal concern to me.)

3. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

The original claim was:
    AlcahueteJ said:
    There's a very simple response to that when anyone makes this statement. The highest rated beer in the world is from a can.​

While this website might to be "the world" to some of you, other people feel differently and place Heady Topper lower than the pinnacle, including me. If you would have applied the reading comprehension you were supposed to have mastered in the 2nd grade, you would have noticed that I didn't try refuting the possibility of finding great beer in a can.

teal likes this.
  4. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Isn't this old news?

5. I hope they can Noble Pils!

Stormfield likes this.
  6. Grrr...

7. Checking the various beer news websites, general media websites and the reactions here and on other beer-related sites, it seems to be "news" for most people. Do you have a link or source of an earlier citation?

Koch has in the recent past mentioned considering canning, and he usually cited the BPA liner problem (which goes unmentioned here?) as a stumbling block for BBC. Go further back to only 2005, and his Beer Drinkers Bill of Rights included:

Stormfield likes this.
  8. You'll have to excuse me. I was absent the day they taught reading comprehension in the second grade. I accidentally thought the title of this discussion was "Sam Adams: Now (finally) in a can". Apparently, the real title is "Sam Adams: Now (finally) in a can (and Heady Topper isn't very good)." Sorry about that folks. I totally blew that, and I feel really stupid about it. And on top of that, I'm ashamed to say that my palate is US-centric and not nearly as worldly as it should be.

9. crosamich

crosamich Savant (260) Florida Nov 28, 2007

This is a bit of a fluff piece. There is some science referenced but also some "science". But essentially what Koch is saying to all the packaging engineers is that he, as a businessman with no science training, knows more than they do.

10. I'm really hoping that if can production is ramped up, that this makes importing to Canada more cost effective (due to ease of shipping lighter and more compact cans) and we then get a wider variety of SA products up here.

11. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

i hope they have those nifty color changing labels so i can tell if its at the optimum temperature for my enjoyment.

12. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.