1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sam Adams TV ads question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheFunGuy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

I was watching TV and saw another in the series of ads for Sam Adams. You likely know them, a crowded small brewery with some working stiff brewers, and one of them with a huge unkempt beard.

Is that an actual Sam Adams pilot brewery, or do they rent out a small brewer somewhere for the ads? Who is grizzly adams guy (actor, actual employee)?

2. I've been on the tour. That guy is real.

3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Sounds like a brewer to me.

Never trust a skinny chef, never trust a brewer without a beard.

4. I'm not positive, but that's probably the actual Boston brewery, which is quite small relative to Sam Adams' larger production facilities.

5. Go to the web site and check out the brew crew section - Bob Cannon? They have the pilot brewery in Boston.
    Dan Gordon's tag line is never trust a skinny brewery, and he is clean shaven.
    Kevin - lets see, Vinnie Cilurzo, Sam Caligone, and John Mallet are usually clean shaven, and skinny.

6. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

I don't get the brewer beard thing. Getting to be laughable now with all these new brewers and their Amish looking beards.
    "Dan Gordon's tag line is never trust a skinny brewery, and he is clean shaven. Kevin - lets see, Vinnie Cilurzo, Sam Caligone, and John Mallet are usually clean shaven, and skinny." Add Sean Lawson to that list too.

7. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Yes it is Bob Cannon, Brewer in the R&D Dept I believe.

8. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I know this is a joke, but both these stereotypes are such bs. Most great chefs are not fat and most great brewers are beardless.

9. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

And speaking of Sam Adams commercials...WHAT is the deal with the talking about ingredients, passion for brewing, educating the consumer, seeing the actual guys behind the scenes? Where are the bros, babes, and partying that I am supposed to associate beer with? My consumer-associations are messed up. We are not supposed to link beer with taste but to fun, buddies, hanging out, and sexy babes. The beer, despite its taste, is just the vehicle that gets us there. Right?

10. I met Bob Cannon at a PHL Beer Week event last spring and both he and his beard are real. I CANnot speak for others or brewers in particular (as I am not one), but I have my beard and moustache because I had to shave every day for 15.25 years while on active duty in the US Navy and the opportunity NOT to have to shave is too good to pass up. I like that consumers are better informed about beer and that beer is being taken seriously.

Eastside151 and evoljetta like this.
  11. Went there a few years back and the large-bearded man kept popping his head into different windows to mess with the tour guide. You just have to believe in him otherwise you can't see him.

acevenom and BedetheVenerable like this.
  12. Yeah, unless they're shooting on location once in a while, it's usually always been at the Boston Brewery(in Jamaica Plain) which is basically just a small R&D brewery where they do their Boston Brewery Tours.

We used to do the tour in college whenever anyone turned 21, so I think I've been there a good dozen times. :) I used to see him all time, he actually used to talk during the tour when you got to the section with the fermentation tanks.

13. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

What's with the super depressing song during their newer ads?

14. Ive liked most of the Sam Adams commercials over the years but my one problem is that they want people to buy into the fact that Jim Koch just walked away from his job and risked it all to start a brewery and his love for the beer made his beer great. They fail to share the fact he was a Harvard Grad with a great job and that his family had already operated a brewery in the past , kind of makes it feel like sham to me , just a little anyhow. I know the information is out there to be seen , but some of the commercials have been misleading or at least not told the whole truth

15. kzoobrew

Sam was nominated for a James Beard award, that is close enough. Its kinda like the ZZ Top exception.

16. drevim

drevim Aficionado (190) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

I heard they will have Spuds MacKenzie and Alex in their next commercial. That will bring the party back!!!

Brunite likes this.
  17. its the small brewery in boston, where they run test brews and special batches. the bar you always see behind Jim koch when he talks is in the tasting lounge. i got hammered on oktoberfest last time i was there in 08 or 09. and the big bald bearded brewer guy talked during the fermentation portion of the tour. my tour guide also down a cup of coffee and a pint of beer at the begining of our tour first thing in the am.

they were handing out free pints of vixen out side when the beer was still in R&D i guess it was phenominal!

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  18. You know that the guy with the last name of Beard in ZZ Top only had a mustache?

19. kzoobrew

That is what I was basing my ZZ Top exception theory off of.

20. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

You spelled the word 'some' wrong twice in that post.