1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sam Adams Utopia 2012

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by shueyy, Nov 4, 2012.

1. shueyy

shueyy Aficionado (170) New York Nov 28, 2010

Has anybody had it yet? How hard will it be to get this year? I've already heard $300 a bottle the last few I bought were in the $200 range. Any sightings yet? I travel the East Coast from Philly to Portland so I might be able to travel to get it.

2. Plenty of sightings. Check out the thread about it in the Beer Release section. I have seen it for $160.

3. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Redstone said they had some in. Not sure if it's still there or how much, but that's a start.

4. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (355) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

As of Saturday morning, Redstone was out. The guy said the Friday batch that came in was "gone in like 5 minutes" and also commented that he didn't expect anymore in. Still worth a call though.

5. gordons on moody st in waltham has some for sure just ask one of the guys and they will get you one

6. The $300 price tag was a mistake by a distributor I was told. I picked up a bottle at that price and was later tracked down by the shop I bought it from and was given a refund. The shop was Colonial Spirits in Acton if that helps.

7. Good to know. Colonial in Stow had it marked up in the ~$260 range two weeks ago

8. Tried it the other day at Sunset Grill and Tap with a few friends. Perhaps my favorite back in quite a few years.

9. Found a bottle at Greenwood Liquors in Wakefield for $170. I believe they had a few others in stock.

10. batch* I meant

11. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

I have 1btl at The Vin Bin in Marlborough.

12. I have been hunting it all day it looks like most stores are getting 3 bottles. I got One in Greenwood wakefield for 169 and one from Boscy liquors in saugus for $199 they have two left but are only selling one per person. I also called blanchards in allston but they wanted $279 no thanks

13. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Utopias hoarding. I have officially seen it all.

JxExM, crushedvol and AdamP like this.
  14. jonneh

jonneh Aficionado (100) Connecticut Feb 20, 2006

I'm not sure it's quite the right place but I've still got a 2003 set aside for a rainy day. Almost 10yrs on here I haven't found that day. It's been stored the same place just about that whole time, temperature fairly consistent. Any chance it's still good?

15. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Chances are that it's far better than "good".

jedwards and woosterbill like this.
  16. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

The stores that are selling it for as much at 280-300 should be ashamed of themselves.

17. Gasbarros in North Attleboro had some for $199 as of a day ago.

18. jonneh

good to know, I mean I know it's sealed and very unlikely to go bad on it's own. is it likely to just continue to improve with age? how long is too much? I'm sure that's a matter of opinion but hey any info is helpful.

19. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

I can't say for sure as I've never had the 2003, but the way that this beer is designed makes the possibility of it going "bad" very slim. Even once you open it, the beer still has a considerably extended lifespan. I've had my 2009 open for a year next week.....and to me, it's tasting better than ever.

But keep in mind, the idea of a beer actually improving over time is entirely subjective. Yes, it'll certainly change, but you would need to have enjoyed it fresh to truly determine whether you feel that it has improved.

20. jonneh

true, I guess I spoke without considering what I'm talking about here. that is entirely subjective. and it changing over time is certainly a given. cool thanks.

21. I saw it for $175 at Bottles (corner of Gano and Pitman) in Providence.

22. Why? They're in the business of selling alcohol for profit, and there are clearly people willing to fork over that amount of money for a bottle of Utopias.

jedwards likes this.
  23. shueyy

shueyy Aficionado (170) New York Nov 28, 2010

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it I was able to score a bottle for $200 which I think is inline with all the comments on this thread. I haven't open it yet but look forward to trying it around the Holidays with friends.