Sam Adams Winter Classics Pack 2013?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by eagles7251, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Was just wondering if there was anything new in it this year?

thanks.

2. madmanjf

madmanjf Savant (390) New York Sep 18, 2005

it's out already?

3. I havent seen it yet.

4. I figured since Xmas beers have been coming out already shouldnt we be seeing this soon also?

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  5. madmanjf

madmanjf Savant (390) New York Sep 18, 2005

The harvest collection formally runs through October, so look for an update over the next week or so

6. Perfect. Thanks!

7. This year's lineup: [now called "Winter Favorites" btw] Boston Lager, Winter Lager, Cherry Chocolate Bock, Old Fezziwig, White Christmas, & Juniper IPA.

8. matedog

matedog Aficionado (185) California Jan 25, 2010

No Holiday Porter? Damn.

9. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

I thought the Juniper IPA was a decent beer but I would have wanted the holiday porter in this pack.

Zorro, Beefytits4 and kyle86 like this.
  10. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (510) New Jersey May 23, 2012

I like Boston Lager and all, but I really wish they'd stop putting that in their seasonal packs. I'd rather have 6 unique seasonals.

Oh and no holiday porter is weak sauce

11. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

No complaints. I'll give both of the new beers a chance when it comes out. I'm actually somewhat intrigued by them, to be honest.

12. yeah I liked the Holiday Porter also. A sign of the times it's replaced by an IPA? The Cherry Chocolate Bock is new this year (I think), they used to have a chocolate something else, but I found it tasted like someone poured hot chocolate mix into my beer - very artificial and didn't integrate. I think they also used to put in their light lager, glad that's gone.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  13. That was Chocolate Bock. I'm assuming that this will be a variant of that same beer made with cherries.

14. I had the Chocolate Cherry Bock at the brewery during Boston Beer Week and it was really good, my friends and I all wanted more of it, sadly we only got one or two small pours of it. It wasn't overpowering on both the chocolate and the cherry but it was sweet, kind of dessert like but still good

checktherhyme likes this.
  15. Anybody know what's in the New Belgium Winter mix pack?
    Please be Old Cherry!

16. I'll take that cherry chocolate bock all day!

17. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Maybe I'll pick it up. The bock seems interesting as long as it doesn't seem artificial (I'm concerned). It's been several years since I had Old Fezzi and I recall liking it and wishing they just put out a 6-pack of that during the holoday. The juniper IPA and the White Christmas will be new for me, although neither really excite me. The spicing of the winter lager was not to my liking the last I tried it, a couple years back. And Boston lager? I'd prefer Boston ale, just because I never see it in my market.

Spikester likes this.
  18. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

No not my Holiday Porter?! :(

Would rather kept that one...

19. Get the fucking White Christmas and IPA out of the mix pack. An IPA replacing a porter and especially a witbier in a WINTER mix pack makes no sense.

20. Should have brought back the Maple Pecan Porter. That beer was too good to not brew anymore.

21. Im guessing the Juniper IPA is in it because it will taste like a Christmas tree, Id rather something else than a big piney ipa

johnnybgood1999 and claytri like this.
  22. BBAVUSO21

BBAVUSO21 Savant (375) New York Jan 25, 2013

[​IMG]

Opened my buddies fridge Saturday night and found this. it has begun. I refuse to buy the pack until the weather changes a bit. Couldn't help trying the cherry chocolate bock though. Was pretty good

TwoTrees and rkentb like this.
  23. That was in the Spring Thaw variety pack. I liked that as well. It seemed to be popular so it may return. If I had to guess, the 2014 Spring Thaw variety pack would be:
    Boston Lager
    Cold Snap [new seasonal, white ale]
    Escape Route [new secondary seasonal, K├Âlsch]
    Rebel IPA [new year-round IPA]
    Maple Pecan Porter
    Irish Red

24. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

When else would you buy it?

25. Bummed that there's no holiday porter. I wonder if it will be available in sixers?

White Christmas is nasty. Old Fezziwig is good stuff though, not sure if it warrants me buying a 12 pack though.

26. Chiefy770

Chiefy770 Savant (260) Illinois Aug 20, 2011

I think Sam Adam's puts pretty good seasonal packs out. You get a variety of pretty good brews for an affordable price. By default I usually dislike at least one of the beers in the packs though. This looks like it could be a great pack. Chocolate Bock was pretty good, I do not like cherry flavored things so it will be interesting to see how the Cherry Chocolate Bock goes over. Can't wait to get this in my fridge!

27. Can they just put the holiday porter label on one of these new beers atleast. That label is fucking classic.

Atleast theres still Old Fezziwig.

28. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

The coffee stout a few years ago was a really good addition too. I enjoy IPAs, but I'm not thrilled with seeing one in the winter mix pack. The wit has more business in there than that one in my opinion.

29. fds

fds Aficionado (145) Nebraska Aug 17, 2013

Bought it last Friday. Only had the Juniper and CCB so far. Juniper is a decent IPA, the CCB was pretty tasty, although I didn't have much as my girlfriend loved it and drank most of it.

30. I think they will surprise and do the Holiday in 6 packs. If not, take a dollar less and go purchase a sixer of Founders porter, an even better Porter and screams a perfect cold weather treat.

31. WVUbrew

WVUbrew Savant (380) West Virginia Oct 12, 2013

At least they left out the atrocious Cranberry Lambic.

psnydez86, FCal79, coronajm and 3 others like this.
  32. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (510) New Jersey May 23, 2012

On the occasions that I get a random craving for it. Same as I do now.

My main point is that I just don't get the benefit of putting it in the seasonal mix packs. I'm assuming their logic is along the lines of "If someone buys the winter pack, tries the Boston Lager and likes it, they'll be more likely to buy Boston Lager at other points throughout the year." I would disagree with that though, because I think 99% of people who are buying these winter favorites packs, have already had and formulated an opinion on Boston Lager, so I don't think you're getting a lot of newbies trying it for the first time. It comes off more like they didn't want to brew a 6th beer, so lets throw some BL in there.

If I wanted Boston Lager, I'd buy Boston Lager.

33. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

When I get a Folly Pack I'm reminded that Fat Tire is a great beer, I never buy a 6er of it so I look at it like a bonus. Don't look at it like they owe you 2 different beers, look at it like you got a bonus 2 beers.

Eriktheipaman and Mediczod like this.
  34. Like every year, I'll bring a 12-pack to Christmas dinner and that's about it. Hard to break away from my rotation of SN Celebration and more SN Celebration during November and December.

John1985 and Brewsky29 like this.
  35. king75

king75 Savant (455) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

I usually get the holiday pack from sam adams and am looking forward to the new additions minus white Christmas. If it is anything like the white ale from the holiday packs of the past I will be giving them away.

36. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

Funny this thread is popping up, as I was just thinking about this and what their lineup was going to be this year. White Christmas, meh. Not sure how I will feel about the Cherry Chocolate Bock but since it is getting favorable reviews, I may like it too (although I agree with the others who said that the Chocolate Bock was a bit artificial tasting and I found it to be a little too chocolate syrupy). I love Winter Lager and the Boston Lager and Old Fezziwig are always good (although I agree, time for something else besides the BL and I too have said that the Boston Ale would be an awesome addition to any of their mixed packs). Juniper IPA? Meh, probably one I will end up taking or leaving but another hoppy addition being added by SA for the craft beer masses, I suppose.

And how can a mixed pack be called "Winter Favorites" when some of the beers are new?!?

Flashy likes this.
  37. SSSBR1509

SSSBR1509 Zealot (75) Florida Jan 12, 2013

JimboHD2005 likes this.
  38. If New Belgium sticks to the release schedule they announced with the addition of Revival beers to their Folly Packs, the winter pack should be Fat Tire, Ranger, 1554, Rampant and 2 Below.

claytri likes this.
  39. I'll tell you one beer that absolute SHOULD be in it but absolutely WONT be:
    Frambozen.

Love that beer beyond words.

djsmith1174 and claytri like this.