1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sam Adams Winter Classics Pack 2013?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by eagles7251, Oct 21, 2013.

1. atomic

atomic Member

Can someone tell me why Sam Adams only puts their good stuff in 12packs with a bunch of crummy beers? I mean sure the variety packs are great and all, and I've found many a good beer in them, but why don't they sell those individually? My gf loved Chocolate Bock but no way in hell would I buy another 12pk just for 2 more of those beers.
  2. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Member

Grocery store by me breaks it up and sells as singles, think that might be illegal. However, 6-pack of Old Fezziwig here I come.
  3. MilkManX

MilkManX Member

I would buy 12's of Old Fezziwig any day.
    claytri and randal like this.
  4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Member

Does anyone remember what was in the original?

Was it Boston Lager, Holiday Porter, Old Fezziwig, Winter Lager, Cranberry Lambic, and Cream Stout?

If so, I'd take that any day over this one. Everyone complained about the Cranberry Lambic....but all in all that's not bad.

I think my favorite was a few years ago, I believe it was Boston Lager, Holiday Porter, Old Fezziwig, Winter Lager, Cappucino Stout, and Chocolate Bock.
    claytri likes this.
  5. BasterdInABasket

BasterdInABasket Member

I haven't seen twelve packs yet but I have seen winter cases: 12 Fat Tire, 6 Ranger, 6 Accumulation.. So much for variety.
    HeislerGold likes this.
  6. HeislerGold

HeislerGold Member

Yikes. That is an unappealing selection to say the least.
  7. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Member

I forgot Maple Pecan Porter was in the spring pack. That doesnt scream "spring beer" to me.
  8. jzlyo

jzlyo Member

I wish they would've left off White Christmas and gone with Holiday Porter instead, didn't really care for the spices in WC.
  9. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

I was happy to see Cranberry Lambic removed from this pack..but then they had the balls to release it in 6 packs last year. I would have loved to see the sales figures on that move.

Since they can put that crap in 6 packs, Where is Chocolate Bock in 6 packs???..they could sell a boatload of this.
    admobeer34 likes this.
  10. JimboHD2005

JimboHD2005 Member

Tidesox28 and JKIRBY like this.
  11. rkentb

rkentb Member

I love the winter lager.
    claytri and Tidesox28 like this.
  12. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Member

Bought the Sam Adams mixed 24 winter variety pack. A mixed 24 case for $22.49? Sam Adams continues to impress.

Here in Chicago mother nature finally threw in the towel and decided to align her seasons with the brewers. Its about damn time. Its been cold here all week, already scraped ice off the windshield and saw some flurries.

It says on the case "Samuel Adams Winter Lager *Ale in Texas". What does this mean? If Texans are getting some sort of winter version of the Boston Ale I'm gonna be pissed. Must be some stupid law. Does that mean that they cannot call it a lager in Texas, or do they actually ship an Ale to Texas?

I only got 4 Old Fezziwigs but I am going to start hording these. All I have to do is buy one of these cases every week, hide the Fezziwigs, and have my friends over for football. The Juniper IPA isn't bad. Haven't tried the cherry chocolate bock yet but I like every other beer in this case.
    Gorillahead and buddha5050 like this.
  13. JG-90

JG-90 Member

It is. As far as I remember, there are ABV limits by different states depending on what a beer is labeled as.

I'm sure others will be able to shed some more light but like you guessed it is just some stupid law.
    azorie likes this.
  14. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Member

Old Fezziwig and the Holiday Porter are my favorite SA brews! I always look forward to the Winter Variety Pack!
  15. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Member

No Holiday Porter this year unfortunately.
  16. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Member

Old label law here in Texas. Anything over 5.5 or something like that had to be referred to as ale. No longer required though.
  17. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Member

Are you going to wait until you have a massive stockpile of fezzywigs and then just pick a day and totally go for the big one? Just asking, no one is judging just curious.
  18. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Member

Cherry chocolate bock? That sounds great.
    darky likes this.
  19. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Member

Your damn right
    Uniobrew31 likes this.
  20. DoubleORepresenter

DoubleORepresenter Member

Why haven't I seen this yet... I miss Ol' Fezzi!
    randal likes this.
  21. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Member

Are you serious? That better be because they decided to put it in 6-packs this year. That's half the reason to get the mix.
  22. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Member

And the other half is for Fezzi!?!
  23. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Member

Damn straight. Both are true holiday classics. This is probably why they changed the name to "Winter Favorites"...
    SpdKilz, DrStiffington and Local_Yeti like this.
  24. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Member

They used to label higher ABV stuff as "malt liquor" in TX which was because of our antiquated laws. Fun story-One night in college I drank way too much including a Sam Adams seasonal when I saw the malt liquor thing. Drunk me and my friends called the Sam Adams 800 number and slurred this ridiculous message about how it's BS that they are trying to pass cheap malt liquor off as real beer and I demanded a response. I slurred my email address, hung up, passed out and forgot about the whole affair. Two weeks later I got a really nice email about how it wasn't really malt liquor and they had to label it as such due to our laws. They even offered to send me stickers and other swag if I emailed them my address. I was equal parts impressed and embarrassed so I never responded...
  25. darky

darky Member

Oh, it is.

The Juniper IPA needs to be made year-round as well. They knocked it out of the park with this years Winter sampler. The taste/$ ratio is stellar. This household will be buying more than a couple of these 12 packs.
  26. baconman91

baconman91 Member

Be nice if they wld include some of the "O.G" brews that were in Holiday packs, ie..Scotch Ale (no need for Boston Lager..EVERYONE pretty much knows what your Flagship beer taste like nowadays). I used to be a big Sam Adams guy, a handful of yrs ago when I was 1st getting into the "craft" scene. Meh, not Real into any of them much anymore..graduated to some bttr offerings. ;)
    - still dwn w/ them kinda, just dont buy much of their stuff..a cpl I like from the Holidays. I think I've had almost everything they make. Hell, their brand is Really what Started me. I always rep them to "Newbies" who ask me for beer advice. Its a Great way to train that Palate..they make so many diff kinds now, if u cant find something u like (2 start u on your way dwn the craft road) you really just Dont appreciate the taste of a good beer or maybe even know what that means.
    Gorillahead, admobeer34 and tzieser like this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Member

How long before the "winter" mix pack is all IPAs?
    johnnybgood1999 and Tidesox28 like this.
  28. baconman91

baconman91 Member

Booooo..dont know why they do stuff likes this. Boston Lager still make the cut?! Lol..everyone knows what it taste like & its around all yr. I get the "marketing" thing but Come on!
    Local_Yeti likes this.
  29. baconman91

baconman91 Member

I'd be More interested in That tho..maybe ;)
  30. Local_Yeti

Local_Yeti Member

I've never understood the theories behind what stays and what goes at Sam Adams. Some of the very best beers they've made, are no longer on the brew bill. Everybody knows Sam Adams for Boston Lager, but truth be told, it can't hold a candle to many of their other brews.

I'd personally reach for the Old Fezziwig or Holiday Porter any day, over a boston lager!
  31. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Member

I like Holiday Porter but I can live without it. I can't believe they put White Shitmas in the pack again this year though. It's almost as nasty as Cranberry Lambic. I drank my second bottle last year just after the best by date and it wasn't quite as bad because the spices had faded a bit. If I end up getting the Winter pack this year I'll probably hold off on that one for awhile.
  32. azorie

azorie Member

Its a OLD Texas law, I am sure Jess has posted about this a 100 times.

BTW I HATE OLD fizzlewig, yuck yuck yuck......
  33. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Member

WHAT!?!
    azorie likes this.
  34. azorie

azorie Member

THE SA website says its not even being currently brewed.:eek:
  35. ESHBG

ESHBG Member

When Sierra Nevada's entire lineup is nothing but IPAs, so very soon.
  36. ESHBG

ESHBG Member

That's your prices and you're lucky, but I am sure here in PA it is going to be the usual $34+ at most places. Which is amazing considering some of the stuff is brewed here! :confused:
  37. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Member

This is horse shit.

It's not the best porter out there, but it's a winter/christmas staple!
  38. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Member

I'm bummed about the exclusion of the Holiday Porter. Isn't that the label with the colonial guy carrying the barrel into a pub on a snowy day? Love that label. I'm sure I'll still be getting the mix pack nonetheless. It's a Christmas tradition so I must be drinking some of those on Christmas Eve as we host our usual giant family gathering. Of course, Celebration and some other beloved brews will make their appearances as well. This thread is actually getting me jacked up for the holidays!
    Givemebeer likes this.
  39. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

The first 5 were annual staples for the longest time, and then they'd rotate the 6th. Cream Stout, Black Lager, Scotch Ale, etc, etc...

Can't believe they're not including Holiday Porter this year. That was such a fan favorite - I can only hope it's going into 6-packs...
    claytri likes this.
  40. beerme411

beerme411 Member

My favorite pack to date was the 2011 with holiday porter, old fezzi, chocolate bock, and black and brew. (plus Boston lager and winter lager)