Same beer, different taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by juankzas, Aug 22, 2012.

1. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

If a new beer just released tastes different in two places who/what would you blame of??

The complete story;

A brewery releases on thursday a new beer, a friend goes on friday to try it and told us is awful, a friend and I go to the same place to try it with the same experience. Two days after, another group of friends go to a different place to try the same beer and they all said the beer wouldn't win medals in a contest but neither is as we described it.

We all thought the lines of the first place were dirty/contaminated. Today the guy who tried the beer in the first place went again to the first place and ordered a beer telling the staff about the difference in taste with the other place and our guess about the dirty lines, he received a beer that is clearly different from the friday's beer and a tour to the facilities showing him all the system which apears to be clean.

Knowing there's only one batch of the beer and that the barrel was delivered the day before we tried it, who/what would you blame??

2. 'Awful" and "wouldn't win medals" aren't very helpful descriptions of a beer's defect.

Your buddy has microscopic X-ray vision?

While it may have come from the same batch, the differences could also result from conditions at the brewery, the kegs, during racking, etc.

3. Beer goblins.

4. Ive had Lake Erie Monster in multiple locations, and some places just taste way off. There was one place that had a Belgian yeast heavy feel too it. Then my bottles were astringent and heavy on the bitter. But early on in the season, it was the same as ever. The bottles of it I had in like July were spot on.

5. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

It could also have to do with what you ate that day. I've had two pours of my homebrew Berliner Weisse in the same night that taste different from each other because of what I was eating while I was drinking them.

jzeilinger likes this.
  6. Agree with robinsmv. It could also be the glass and how it was cleaned. (Reaching I know, but stranger things have happened.)