1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Samichlaus

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Cenosillicaphobe, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

So...I can get a 4-pack bottled in 2009 for $18.99...not too familiar with this beer other than seeing the name pop up here from time to time...not too familiar with the style for that matter...reviews seem interesting...so should I do it...or no...and why? Thoughts?

2. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

The older, the better. That stuff is like... Pure gasoline fresh. I've heard it's incredible with 4+ years on it, though.

corby112 likes this.
  3. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (275) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

its a really sweet beer and high abv. I enjoy it, it gets sweeter with age. I currently have a 2007-2010 vertical. They started with bombers in 2007, 2008 they moved to 4 packs. $18.99 is reasonable, seen it as high as $21.99.

4. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

If you like sweet beer, this is a good one.

5. Cenosillicaphobe

Sweet how? I enjoy the sweetness in some barleywines, imperial stouts, etc...but I dislike cloying sweetness...like say a fresh 120 or Dark Lord.

6. I think I paid $8.99 for a single 12 oz at Christmas time, so your $18.99 4-pack sounds like a bargain.

7. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (475) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Another bland lager;]

8. steveh

steveh Champion (850) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Considering you'll find very little hoppiness in this beer, it's probably going to be sweet to you. If you're interested in trying a Doppelbock you might want to start with Paulaner Salvator or Spaten Optimator -- even Ayinger Celebrator. They're all a little smoother without dropping $5 on a bottle.

BTW -- I saw the Sammi locally today at $19 for 4, Celebrator was $12 for 4.

9. cofeeguru

cofeeguru Savant (280) Minnesota Jan 11, 2012

I don't find it to be honey sweet, but closer to the sweetness of an English barleywine with some age on it. The high abv does kind of pack a punch at the front, however. And let it warm up just a tad; it makes it all the better.

10. I think it too sweet, if you want to invest money in a European Doppelbock, I suggest you to go for Ayinger Celebrator

11. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (495) Ohio May 2, 2010

Had a 2009 last Christmas and although interesting, got to be very cloying after about 8-10 ounces.

12. Cenosillicaphobe

Hmmmmm...still interested in further opinions...but I may have to pass...particularly with all the other good stuff taunting me from shelves lately...BCBCS...Black OPS...Insanity...Resurgam...FV13...Bolt Cutter (screw you guys...time is gonna tell on this one)...etc...

13. Cenosillicaphobe

What sucks is that this place won't break the 4-pack...hate to drop that much on 4 bottles of something I'm so unsure of...but I'd snap up a single in a heartbeat.

14. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Again, everything tastes different to each person with their own taste preferences, the sweetness in Sami , IMO, is just right, and I have been trying to get my beer BA's to enjoy this delightful beer for awhile. I love this one and $20 is about right for a 4 pack. Try one bottle and see if will board the SAMIBUS, for a delicious tasteful journey, and do let it warm some.

15. 8eer

8eer Aficionado (110) Oregon Mar 27, 2010

Samichlaus Helles is very good too. And Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg has the sexiest brewery website I'VE ever seen.
    http://www.schloss-eggenberg.at/de/
    Click "Sortiment" on the bottom menu to see the beer lineup, and more. ;)

EDIT: Ironically, I see that the Sami Helles is not listed in their lineup. Buy it up quick!

16. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (350) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I'd buy it and drink one bottle every year and try to seek out the ages you like the most. It's not terribly difficult to find older vintages if you find you like it at a certain age

Edit: F**k that stuff fresh though, was afraid my mouth was extremely flammable when drinking a bottle that was only a year old.

17. Cenosillicaphobe

I appreciate all the input from everyone...still on the fence for some reason though.

18. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (725) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Stick it in your cellar. I had one that was 14 years old and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. Not sure if it has to go that long, but I'm going to let mine go out to at least 10 and then open up a bottle every couple years to see how it continues to shake out.

19. RDMII

RDMII Savant (390) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Buy it and sit on it. I love it at a year and it only gets better from there, so you're not going to hurt anything by getting it. If it's really awful for you, trade it.