1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams' Hop-ology seasonal IPA pack

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by AutumnBeerLove, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Do you know of any liquor stores in LA that carry it?

2. Total Wine in Northridge has it right now.

3. place88

place88 Zealot (75) Michigan Apr 14, 2008

That was very good. If it comes out again I'll get it.

4. place88

place88 Zealot (75) Michigan Apr 14, 2008

5. im a sam adams fan and i must say this variety pack was pretty dissappointing. i would take the spring thaw variety over the hopology if i had to choose again.

6. br3wmeister

br3wmeister Savant (325) Colorado Dec 24, 2006

Sounds like something fun to try.

7. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (395) New York Jan 13, 2010

Picked up this for the Superbowl at $18 in Brooklyn. Totally disappointed. The Baltic IPA was a drain pour. Latitude is good but everything else is mediocre at best.

kendrahayes likes this.
  8. Mauidan

Mauidan Aficionado (180) New York Mar 14, 2008

Can't find it but just bought my son a Spring Thaw 12

9. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Could be because it was released last summer.

10. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (655) Maine Sep 11, 2010

They just recently released it again...

11. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Dark Depths or the Hopology twelve pack? If it's the twelve pack, I retract my statement.

12. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (655) Maine Sep 11, 2010

The 12-pack. I picked one up at the end of January simply because I hadn't had the Grumpy Monk. The best before date was June 2013.

13. M0rtyC

M0rtyC Zealot (85) Massachusetts Apr 15, 2010

Still have a Latitude 48 Deconstructed aging in cold storage. Will be breaking the seal tomorrow night for a party tasting.

14. Lol

DaltonC likes this.
  15. BryanK

BryanK Savant (275) New York Nov 27, 2010

Heard the baltic isnt too bad. However considering that Latitude 48 was possibly the most under-hopped trash example of a ipa I can remember trying ever...ill pass

16. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

New skid of this at my local Costco for $29 per case. Is it worth trying?

They still had over a half skid of the Winter mix.

17. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I saw these Hopology packs today at Total Wine ... right next to 12 packs of Double Agent.

It was an easy pick, now I've got a ton of delicious Double Agent to drink!

Metalaero and Stormfield like this.
  18. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Costco in Tucson has them for $23.99 a case. Good stuff.

19. mwolfe

mwolfe Aficionado (100) California Apr 30, 2006

I know this is an old thread but they have this at costco now. I forget the exact price but it was about $25 for a 24 pack. Great deal. I just had a dark depths IPA, not exactly my favorite IPA but it's pretty good. From what I hear there are several other winners here. Great deal.

20. MilkManX

I really like this pack. If it was Year round I would buy it a lot. :)

21. MilkManX

2014 Hopology is out. Saw it at Costco and Total Wine. I might grab one later but right now I have a bit of a surplus of beer...

Double Agent IPA, Roggen Wolf,Tasman Red,Third Voyage,Grumpy Monk,White Water IPA.

Roggen Wolf is new. Looks like it replaces the latitude that was in the pack last year.

Rhf9120 likes this.
  22. Nedster10

Nedster10 Aficionado (235) Michigan Feb 25, 2014

Looking forward to trying this.

23. Disappointed they didn't try out some new stuff in there. With Roggen Wolf as the only new option, don't necessarily have the same drive to pick it up as I previously did.

24. Just arrived at the bottle shop I work at, and we're selling it for less than $30! It's safe to say that this will be my next beer purchase.

25. Very nice mix pack case of IPAs for about $1.12 per each at Sam's in these parts. Can't beat that!

26. I really like Double Agent and Whitewater is okay but I'm not generally a Sam Adams fan so I'm worried I might not like the rest of 'em. However, since money's real tight for me right now and, as a result, I recently purchased the new 4-Way IPA variety pack from SN, of which there are only a few left, it seems like purchasing this would be a natural progression. So, if I can find this for under $30, what the hell? Ticker's gotta tick.

27. MilkManX

Yeah I hear ya on that one but most of these were pretty good. Beats their Seasonal packs by 100 miles!

28. Anybody know if this is distributed to every state? I wanna try to find it here in New Mexico. My go-to bottle shop hadn't heard anything about it.

29. MilkManX

I have only seen it at Costco and Total Wine here in Tucson AZ.

30. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Savant (265) Georgia Sep 22, 2011

31. upsbeernut

Belgians need to stay out of the variety packs just add another Black IPA

32. Grumpy Monk

MilkManX likes this.
  33. MilkManX

I thought Grumpy Monk was pretty good.

34. upsbeernut

The problem is I can't get used to Belgians, I'm actually frustrated because some of the Monks know how to brew and I'm missing out cause of my tastebuds.

35. It will be coming back out again mid summer

36. They were the 4 below and the 5th varietal was changed out to Mosiac which will be in this pack

Hallertau Mittlefrueh(won gold at GABF)
    East kent Goldings
    Zeus
    Simcoe
    Mosaic

37. I thought Third Voyage was one of the best things they ever put out!

rather and MilkManX like this.
  38. Honestly, the Zeus was actually really good. My favorite IIRC.

39. DaltonC

DaltonC Savant (300) Idaho Oct 10, 2013

Saw this today in Total Wine...it was at least a 24 pack.. thing was huge...

40. NorthSteve

NorthSteve Disciple (55) Michigan Mar 12, 2011

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but.....Friend brought a 12 pack to my house in February 2013. Six beer drinkers in house and not one beer was a considered even average. Had to pawn most of them off to unsuspecting guests throughout the summer. Finally ridded my refrigerator of them in September. Stopped at a nephews house in March 2014. He had just purchased the twelve pack had a couple, hated them, and offered me the rest. Having a short memory I tried a Third Voyage. Yup it was worse than I remembered. I politely declined his offer to take the rest with me. I have since tried the Rebel IPA as well. My conclusion is Sam Adams has not figured out the IPA world yet. I usually like their brews but with all the good and great IPAS out there I will steer clear of Sam Adams IPAS. Sorry

nicholasofcusa likes this.