1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams IPL opinions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThirstyFace, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

The only 6 pack I have seen is for the Alpine. I would take a 6 pack of the Maple Pecan but the rest did nothing for me. Not bad but nothing memorable.

Stockfan42 likes this.
  2. What do you mean by "pretty sure it's most likely run of the mill"? Sounds like you haven't tried it. If I read you correctly, you are giving us an opinion of a beer you've never had.

3. Meh, I thought it was OK. I'll take a Hoponious Union over it any day.

ZPag likes this.
  4. Maple Pecan was the best of the Spring Thaw IMO. Would love to see some 6ers of it.

AndyAvalanche likes this.
  5. ZPag

ZPag Aficionado (105) New York Dec 3, 2012

Sadly this beer will probably get more recognition than Jack's Abby Hoponius Union which I saw someone else mention. Hoponius Union is a MUCH better beer. Also I am fairly confident it was the first IPL. I like Sam Admas and all but if you were to drink Double Agent next to Hoponius Union I doubt there is anyone who would pick Double Agent over Hoponius.

Rekrule likes this.
  6. I had it for the first time this weekend, it's good but Jack's Abby Hopponeus Union is the best "IPL" in my opinion, they set the standard.

ZPag likes this.
  7. Alpine Spring is an awesome beer, one of my favorite seasonals, period! I think it deserves a much higher rating on this site than it has.

MilkManX and Stormfield like this.
  8. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

I liked it, but I thought the hops character was much more like Noble Pils (herbal, peppery) than the West Coast the label described (citrus/piney).

9. x37x

x37x Aficionado (160) Wisconsin Oct 21, 2012

It's pretty good but nothing to get excited over, imho.

10. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (615) California Jan 23, 2013

Better than Day Time is a bold statement for any sub 5% beer...but you go t my ear. Looking forward to checking it out. Cheers!

11. HU is a much better beer. But HU is 6.7% ABV. Double Agent is only 5.0% ABV, which makes it a terrific choice when you want something more sessionable.

12. Kiwi Rising gets my kiwi rising...amirite?

13. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Haven't seen this in Northern Illinois yet, but for the mixed 12 pack. It'll be interesting to try based on the concept.

14. steveh

You ought to build up that in depth esoteric knowledge of the styles and whatnot before passing a judgment -- and you're in a great location for that sort of "study." Beer is not all crush-the-palate character and flavor, it can be highly mellow and subtle and still be delicious and satisfying. Well, at least satisfying to many.

Stormfield and MammaGoose like this.
  15. Exactly. Here here.

16. It has nothing to do with the style. Just making a prediction based on the majority of their offerings, which are mostly solid, nothing-to-rave-about beers.

17. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Not sure why you are the 100th person to mention this, as if a beer isn't number one in a "style" that it isn't worthy. Me thinks everyone just likes hearing themselves mention that they are drinking Hoponius, a fucking beer available to like 9 people as opposed to one available to 300 million. Just saying.

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I think it's a very tasty hop forward Lager but...the Sam Adams Lager that first came out was so much better...better hop profile.

19. T-RO

T-RO Savant (325) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

Thanks for saying this. I was thinking like did jacks abby go global recently.

Hotmetal1 and Stormfield like this.
  20. Sam Adams IPL is to Jack's Abby Hoponious Union IPL
    as
    Budweiser Lager is to Sam Adams Boston Lager

Seems to me SA saw a new local brewer come out with a style that was gaining popularity and sweeping New England and felt they had to compete(or corner/steal the market), all while watering it down the masses.

Still a solid session beer though. Just that Jack's Abby has already set the bar so much higher for IPL's.

speakorspasm likes this.
  21. There was a time when Sam Adams was pretty much the only good American beer I could get. It must be nice to have been born into a world with nothing but great beer to choose from.

Hotmetal1, MilkManX and steveh like this.
  22. T-RO

T-RO Savant (325) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

I haven't seen Jack's Abby in NH so I didn't realize it was available across the rest of New England. I think it's awesome by the way, I just wouldn't compare it to the thread subject
    Thanks

23. Pretty nice, yeah.

YogiBeer likes this.
  24. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

1. I had a six pack the other day. It's a pretty good beer.

2. If you're comparing it to west coast IPAs, you havent had any good west coast IPAs

3. It is like 3-4 dollars cheaper than all day IPA, which makes it TOTALLY worth it as a session beer

4. Session beers aren't meant to blow people away

5. Go buy some

6. Stop comparing it to other styles

x37x and steveh like this.
  25. YogiBeer

Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The first IPL wasnt brewed by Jack's abbey.

It was brewed in someone's effing garage.

please stoppppppppppp.

26. Or one beer is actually better than another. Tough to wrap your brain around.

ZPag likes this.
  27. I don't really think that has anything to do with what he was saying... so yeah.

28. steveh

Solid is good. I haven't had a beer to rave about since the early 90s.

29. I always knew I would never be a part of the Rave Generation.

jglowe77 and steveh like this.
  30. steveh

This is so true. I used to drink Guinness Draught all the time because it was about the best beer I had available at one time. I'd gotten away from it and decided to have one the other day -- it took me back to that earlier time and I can honestly see why I always drank it (and why it was a great beer to use in bringing novice beer drinkers into the world of flavorful beer).

Is it high ABV, full of character that you have to dissect in order to wade through all the flavors? No, and it's not meant to be. As Yogi says above, session beers aren't meant to blow anyone away, they're meant to enjoy and satisfy. If you're someone who needs a double, imperial, chocolate-coffee, Russian Stout with pomegranate essence to satisfy you, I honestly feel bad for you (though I understand that curve in the development of enjoyment in beers -- just don't get stuck at that phase).

Stormfield likes this.
  31. ThirstyFace

You can't give merit to something because it is not the best? This wasn't a this is better than that thread. Tough to wrap your BA head around, I'm sure.

This is like Heady Topper all over again. Yeah, we get it, but put a fork in your mouth.

32. This right here. Tone down the elitist beer snobbery.

33. Since when did preffering one beer over another equate to "elitist beer snobbery"??

:rolleyes:

ZPag likes this.
  34. YogiBeer

Rolleyes smileys arent very metal, Bro.

jglowe77, JG-90, jacksback and 3 others like this.
  35. I suppose you have a point, but people on this site tend to have that attitude. Appreciate good beer for what it is not what it isn't.

36. \m/

better?

Which attitude, the one where someone likes one beer more than another? Appreciating good beer means thinking about it. Which may well lead to qualitative judgements.

Sam Adams IPL is a good beer, one of the better ones from SA, and possibly the best pale hoppy brew they've done in ages.

I'd still agree with the sentiment that JA Hoponious is a better beer. That judgement doesn't make Double Agent any worse.

ZPag likes this.
  37. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I like the beer and think it’s quite good, but I’m not sure the lager yeast helps or hurts it. I’ve had a couple “IPL” beers over the last few years and while most have been good, I’m not sure they wouldn’t have been better with some additional fruit esters from ale yeast. AC Golden made a pretty nice one and one of these days I’ll have to ask what the reasoning was. I think it’s just one of those fun things for a brewer to try more than something that really needs to be in anyone’s line-up. That said, it’s still quite tasty and the two from my mixed pack were gone pretty quickly.

Bitterbill likes this.
  38. ThirstyFace

Others in this thread would say it does. Hence this minor quibble

39. Overml01

Overml01 Disciple (60) Indiana Jan 17, 2010

Nothing all that special, but certainly not bad at all. Perhaps a bit gimmicky, but a solid IPA... erm, L.

40. I dunno, sounds a lot like folks who have had both saying they like Pliny better than Stone Ruination, when the first is available to like 9 people compared to how many the second is. Are they just patting themselves on the back for drinking Pliny?

Hotmetal1 likes this.