1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams IPL opinions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThirstyFace, Feb 1, 2013.

1. “I’ve had a couple “IPL” beers over the last few years and while most have been good, I’m not sure they wouldn’t have been better with some additional fruit esters from ale yeast.”

In a very hop forward beer (a beer that has a lot of late hops like a West Coast style IPA), can you really taste fruity esters?

Cheers!

2. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I think a lot of the West coast style IPAs feature citrusy/piney hop profiles, so a lot of the fruity flavors are orangey, grapefruity, or even pineappley (which I suppose isn't technically citrus, but an acidic fruit). The estery flavors fall more on the banana spectrum. A more mellow robust sweet fruit taste as opposed to bitter/acidic/sour sweet. And of course, the brewer can control the amount of esters to an extent by amount of yeast/sugar/fermentation temperature. So yes, I do think an ale yeast, that lends the esters, changes the fruity/hoppy profile. But, I don't think that detracts from what the IPL's are going for. While not a huge lager enthusiast, I think the IPL concept is interesting for what it is.

3. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

No, I guess not. But if you haven't picked up on the sudden except no imitation Jack Abby hoopla, then perhaps you are less irritable than I.

4. Like it or not, I'm not sure that it's all that gimmicky. It's just an IPA made with a lager yeast.

To me, gimmicky is more like Donut Maple Bacon Ale or Blood Orange Hefeweizen.

steveh likes this.
  5. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I had my first one last night. It was delicious as all get out!

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I picked up a sixer yesterday (instead of the Hoponius Union bottled about a week and a half ago) and I like it more than I expected to. It's tasty and hoppy and otherwise unobtrusive. I love Hoponius, but this suits its own situations, like when I'm looking for a well-hopped brew with a less robust ABV.

I rarely ever buy Sam Adams brews, but I'll certainly be picking up some more of this.

Stormfield and Bitterbill like this.
  7. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

I was surprised when I cracked this one open, the SA samplers are usually ok but the Double Agent really impressed me for a SA brew. Glad to see it in sixers- it would be perfect on the golf course.

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

I'm not saying I found my Pliny killer here, just saying Double Agent isn't too shabby for a SA concoction.. Man I love it how if you say you enjoy a particular beer on this site, be prepared for somebody to crush it with that ol familiar "It's not better than this" line! But I guess that's why I love this site so much.

Stormfield likes this.
  9. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (395) Texas Nov 19, 2012

It didn't blow my mind, but it's not a bad beer for a SA or in general for the price. At around $7-8 for a six pack... i'd give it a thumbs up haha

10. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

SA has represented better beer for many years. They have been a major contributor to where the craft industry is now. It's fine to like another beer more, but don't forget that the best is subjective. Give your opinions on the beer in question and then say why you like another better. I drink many beers on regular basis that are not "best in style" to my palate. Because the fact of the matter remains that they are still damn good. And I like variety in my drinking too.

This forum has always been an excellent place for beer enthusiasts to share opinions and get information. Lately, there seems to be a trend towards trumping the question being asked with "this is better". Nothing wrong with that, but at least provide support to your fellow BAs. I hope this doesn't point towards craft beer becoming the "in" thing. I'm not talking about the growth in breweries and members, that is great. I'm just talking about the reason for the interest. It's always been about an unadulterated love for beer and nothing else.

I haven't tried Double Agent yet, so I cannot provide an opinion. But I have some chilling in the fridge and look forward to enjoying it later. I really look forward to the seasonal packs from SA. Even if they aren't mindblowing, they are usually solid and the format is great.

MilkManX, Craigory and JackHorzempa like this.
  11. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Absolutely loved Hoponius Union but don't have regular access to it so I'll give this a shot.

12. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i had this today

my opinion is that it is pretty good

13. I am enjoying Alpine Spring this week and was going to get some Double Agent this weekend. Does anyone know how it compares to Coney Island's Sword Swallower?

14. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I love it as well....I really dig the way the clean lagering lets the hops really pop without being in your face. I need to brew one soon, as I think it would be an excellent beer to mow the lawn with or even lay by the pool (out of the sun!).

15. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Was decent, better than average, but not groundbreaking. I'd take All Day over it any day, though.