1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams Octoberfest now available for fall 2013 season.

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Hornet2003, Jul 22, 2013.

1. MilkManX likes this.
  2. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Awesome. That is my favorite SA brew so I will take it!

LostTraveler and checktherhyme like this.
  3. It is not even August 21st yet for goodness sake.

Boo-Hiss!:(

4. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

5. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Awesome! This is my favorite Sam Adams beer. I have no problems storing this in the fridge until such time that I deem it to be weather appropriate.

MilkManX likes this.
  6. JCapazzi

JCapazzi Zealot (90) Connecticut Aug 8, 2012

Excellent, I have no issue buying this beer now. It's my favorite type of beer (Octoberfest and Pumpkin Beer) so I'll be stocking up soon.

tzieser likes this.
  7. Do we really need to think about drinking Octoberfets in July? I"m still enjoying the summer saisions and Heffs.

TwoTrees, harrylee773, ufmj and 4 others like this.
  8. sicilian

sicilian Savant (250) Florida Sep 30, 2008

Love it.. But yes, Too Early

surfcaster likes this.
  9. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Great, it will probably be gone by the time college football season starts. Now what am I going to drink at chilibee's?

Eando35, Mongrel and somenerd like this.
  10. steveh

See an awful lot of the Summer Ale in my area... which means I'll have Gabe's allotment about the beginning of October! ;)

11. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

Not that many here may care, but the Blue Moon Fall variety pak is already in some stores near where I live. I work for a distributor in another territory though, and we will still be on Summer through most of August.

12. steveh

That's pretty refreshing to hear! Spread that mindset!

13. StraightSipper

StraightSipper Initiate (10) Jul 23, 2013

I've been looking forward to this release since may. So over all the pumpkin beers already.

14. Celebrating Octoberfest in October is a total cliché, anyway. I for one enjoy my seasonals a full season ahead of their seasons!
    /snark

In all seriousness though I do hope other breweries resist the urge to "follow the leader" this year... it's just waaaay too early, Sam.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  15. I know BMC drinkers who start drinking SA Octoberfest as soon as they see it on tap.

16. Isn't this a good thing?

17. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Advocate (565) Kentucky Dec 19, 2012

New on the shelf today......
    [​IMG]

18. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

breweries need to stop ruining my months. I don't want marzen now, i want brooklyn summer. I don't want brooklyn summer in march when there is still snow on the ground. for some reason, summer and fall are the worst with this and it pisses me off more and more every year.

MusicaleMike and DoubleJ like this.
  19. There is an article in the July 2013 Philly Beerscene magazine entitled: Not the Time of the Season (Why Seasonal Beers Come so Freaking Early). That article states:

“It has to do with the limited amount of shelf space and taps available, which more brewers than ever are before are vying for. Shelf space is very finite and the market has only so much capacity to handle it,” explains Philadelphia Brewing Co. founder Bill Barton. Most bars will keep just one pumpkin beer on tap. If a brewery isn’t first, second or even third in line to release their pumpkin, they could lose that tap. And if a bar isn’t the first to tap it, people will go to the bar where it’s available (re: bragging rights).”

So, the above seems to indicate that the beer market compels breweries to continually get their seasonal beers earlier and earlier to market to ‘beat out’ the other guys. Geez!:(

Cheers!

ExaltedNecrosis and MCain04 like this.
  20. dangle47

dangle47 Aficionado (135) New York May 16, 2007

I always thought that Sam Adams should make this a year rounder. Follow in the foot steps of Paulaner and make a different version of it for the actual Octoberfest season. Anyway, yeah it's way to f'in early for Fall brews.

21. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

Agree with all, too early, but can't blame them. Better to be out there sooner than later, and rack up some of the early market while the other breweries are still brewing their fall seasonals. And in all honesty, as long as they don't stop producing this on Oct 7th or something, don't complain about beer being available, when the opposite would be worse IMO

22. I would say yes.

Andrew041180 likes this.

23. Drinking beer when its most fresh, those mouth breathers!

somenerd likes this.
  24. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

Here comes the bitching and moaning of people who cant drink beer unless the season is appropriate.

What an awesome life you must live if its only beer that ruins your month

mcmeador and Jnorton00 like this.
  25. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Not my favorite Oktoberfest but one that I look forward to each year. Sweet that it's out, however I'll be waiting till the warm summer nights turn into cool autumn evenings before enjoying.

gjoker321 and Groomsy like this.
  26. Brewers need to have a meeting and agree on a date, stop releasing beer early. Summer is summer, fall is fall, winter is winter and spring is spring!!! Get with the seasons. The beers are released in season for a good reason. That's when they taste the best. Case in point, review a porter or stout after you mow the lawn, then re-review it six months later in front of the fireplace. Which review for the same beer would be better. This "we went through the summer beer faster than expected" bs is not the consumers problem! It's ok to not have a seasonal available for a month or two. I will understand. We will just have to hit our go-to beers during the wait which will ultimately make the release of the seasonal that much better and more exciting.

27. If people buy it it, you might as well sell it. I bet you we will see Christmas decorations after Labor day this year too.

28. duluoz

duluoz Aficionado (185) California Aug 11, 2007

My new personal rule to balance out this kind of absurdity is that any seasonal beer I see on the shelves or taps way before its appropriate time, is a beer I will not be buying that year, period. If that means I never drink another Sam Oktoberfest, I'll live.

There are breweries out there that have indicated they won't be engaging in this kind of seasonal race, and their beers are the ones I'll buy.

harrylee773 likes this.
  29. Just bought the Harvest collection LOL I'm gonna enjoy them, give the new one a try, and probably won't drink Octoberfest or Harvest Pumpkin again until the Fall.

In my defense, it was literally the only beer in the store that I wasn't sick of/haven't drank in a while. I bought it along with a sixer of Kellerweis.

30. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

What's in the Harvest Collection this year? Boston Lager, Octoberfest, Harvest Pumpkin and...?

31. Not before College Game day begins. They make so much if this it will be around.

32. Had my first of the "season" last night. Love this beer.

SpdKilz likes this.

33. just curious, what are some of those fall beers that dont hit the shelves before the appropriate time? cant be any pumpkin beer

34. Yes. This. Sam Adams Wiesn. Year round. FUCKING DROOL. GIVE THIS TO ME.

Craigory and dangle47 like this.
  35. bobhits

bobhits Savant (455) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

More importantly Great Lakes Oktoberfest is out! However most likely it won't be around come the actual month.

36. mcmeador

mcmeador Zealot (85) Mississippi Sep 2, 2012

Apparently the other three are Latitude 48, Ruby Mild, and Hazel Brown.

37. steveh

?? You got the inside track to something new? Or just suggesting?

38. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (935) California Oct 13, 2007

Octoberfest? More like Summerfest to me.

harrylee773 likes this.
  39. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Thanks!

40. Whatever. Decent beer, but I'll looking for Great Lakes instead.

general_staal likes this.