1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams Spring Thaw pack..

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ford, Dec 28, 2012.

?

What do you expect to be your pack favorite?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2013.
  1. Boston Lager

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Double Agent IPL

46 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Irish Red

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Alpine Spring

25 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. White Lanter wit

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Maple Pecan Porter

103 vote(s)
    49.5%
  1. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I just picked this up yesterday and from last night to this evening, I've now tried five of the six beers in it.

Some are new and some have been around before.

My favorite is the Maple Pecan Porter. I'm a big porter fan and I really liked this one... plenty of maple and pecan flavor and smells.

Least favorite...Double Agent IPL... the IPL stands for India Pale Lager.. so they hopped up a lager or combined the two.. I'm not sure. I'm not a big IPA fan, so I didn't really like this one... smelling it you could tell you were going to get a lot of hops... not as much grapefruit flavor in something IPAish as I would prefer.

White Lantern and Alpine Spring were both good... both have an orange taste mixed in.. White Lantern has more wheat flavor going on.... I liked the White Lantern more.

Irish Red was really good.. I'm a fan of this style of beer and this one delivered what I expected in spades... really good stuff.

I haven't opened one of the Boston Lagers yet, but I know what to expect there.. and I imagine so do most members of this forum.

Overall this is a good collection and I'm happy with the purchase. I might pick up another one before they are gone.

2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Actually this doesn't sound half bad. If I see one around I'll likely pick it up. Out of curiosity, where did you get it? I'm in Boston and was at the liquor store tonight and didn't see any indication of one. If especially intrigued by the IPL and the Porter...a little nervous about the Alpine Spring and White Lantern (never much enjoyed SA's attempts at a white beer)

3. I'll end up the same as you, OP. I hate IPAs, so the IPL will be total fail for me I'm sure. The Maple Pecan Porter is the one I'm most intrigued by, but we've got another week to wait on the new Sam Adams pack it seems.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Maple Pecan Porter sounds the most interesting to me.

lovindahops and yemenmocha like this.
  5. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Sounds pretty good. I'm not quite sure on the IPL, but I'll give it a try.

6. Not an SA hater at all; I always buy a mixed of theirs each season. My predictions:

IPL - Favorite. The BL is a classic, and if they have taken any cues from Jack's Abby, this will be good. I'm looking for crisp and fruity.
    Maple Pecan Porter - Can go either way here. Could be quite good, but could also be too artificial in its flavors. Their Hazel Brown from a bit back was a little too additive flavored to me.
    Irish Red - Should just be a solid beer. Never had an Irish red that knocks my socks off, but Boulevard's is probably my favorite. If they make a beer that rivals that, I'll be happy.
    Alpine Spring - I've had it. It's fine. Not offensive.
    White Lantern - I plan to give this one away. I'll try it, but I sure hope it isn't anything like White Christmas. I'm sorry SA, but that was one of the most foul brews of the year.

7. I'm anticipating the IPL being my favorite, anybody know the they hops used in it?

8. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Spring Thaw is already out? That's insane. The first day of winter was a week ago!!!

9. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Seriously, if the packs are about the fiscal quarter then they should name them differently, like Happy New Beer's

admiralcrunch and harrylee773 like this.
  10. Wow I know they're always the first to release seasonals, but it's not even 2013 yet!! :eek:

It'll be tough for them to impress anyone in Massachusetts with the IPL, since Hoponius Union has set the bar so high.

I have tickets to the open house for this sampler pack so I'm trying to not taste any of it until then (1/17). I hear they're also re-releasing New Albion pale ale at this event.

BostonHops and Arodnum1 like this.
  11. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Glad to see the Maple Porter making into a pack finally. I had the two samples at a beerfest two years ago and the Maple Porter blew the other sample out of the water.

12. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Nothing I look forward to more every year than kicking up my feet in the backyard on a 15 degree January day, looking around at the soft, billowy blanket of snow on the ground and getting my lips frozen to a cool glass of Alpine Spring from the SA Spring Thaw Pack.

13. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Maple Pecan porter and pancakes poppy!

Ford likes this.
  14. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

I think these seasonal packs are great for sampling different styles but I will probably avoid it as I have yet to find a Porter that I've enjoyed. I had the Alpine Spring last year and it is one I can take or leave. Irish Red will probably be released in six packs and I'll pick it up when it becomes available. I'll wait until it starts getting warm to pick up BL. The Wit and Double Agent sound interesting.

15. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Sounds like a good pack in general. Personally, I still love Boston Lager. While other beers might be bolder and have zanier ingredients, BL is still just plain good.

16. I was so confused to see a Spring 12 pack out already, I just walked passed it. Crazy!

Horbar and DoubleJ like this.
  17. Summer pack will be out in a week.

18. Spring stuff already? Its not even 2013 yet for Christ sake.

DoubleJ and SawDog505 like this.
  19. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Yeah I mean I get the whole quarterly release thing, but couldn't this wait another quarter? I'd rather drink Winter Lager in March and Maple Pecan Porter in June than Alpine Spring in January.

20. Gotta be honest... I read this thread this morning and just shook my head. At 4pm I can't help it and have to comment.
    I understand the marketing notion of being first to market and all that. But this is beyond ludicrious. In the end, I realize, I am not the target market. My assumption is that most of these were packaged in December and by the time I would even consider a Spring pack they'll be too long in the tooth for me. (given alternatives, not saying they will be bad) I won't buy it. I detest winter and love when Spring is sprung. You didn't need to earn a four year degree to realize that SPRING items aren't on the consumer's mind BEFORE Christmas and New Years. Boston Beer is very successful and doesn't need tips from us... but as a consumer I get a vote.. and I vote... NO not now and then NOT in the Spring because of their chosen distribution strategy.... (stepping off soap box now) BTW, what's with the 5 votes for Boston Lager as the beer people are MOST looking forward too.. That's classic

johnnybgood1999 and MAbeerNE1 like this.
  21. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

It is ludicrously early for this. Especially when you consider that it won't be "spring" in Boston for about 3 months

Dools9 likes this.
  22. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

And it's great when it's a fresh keg too. Once this year I got the first pour from a new keg at a bar and I couldn't resist but to have several.

Plus, it's a big value beer. I usually get it for around $12/twelve at grocery stores in AZ.

Winston_Smith likes this.
  23. I work for a distributor. We've been out of SA Winter Lager 12pks for a week, and Alpine Spring showed up yesterday. Octoberfest came out at the end of July.

24. I am looking forward to trying the Maple Pecan Porter.

25. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (390) Washington Jun 24, 2012

I'll pass. I bought their winter pack and was pretty disappointed over the beers.

wvsabbath likes this.
  26. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

I don't know. Boston Brewing/Sam Adams has gotten pretty boring. I mean I will still go with a Boston Lager if that is my only "craft" choice but I've decided I won't buy any more of their sample packs.

27. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

So are pumpkin beers out next month? I need more Fat Jack ;)

28. Pretty much how i feel about them as a whole. I wish they'd stop making a new beer weekly and focus on a standard 10-15 and make them all top notch.

29. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I voted for the Maple Pecan Porter. Just like I voted for it at this beer fest when it was running against the Mighty Oak I believe. Can't wait to have the Maple Pecan. Shit, I can't wait to pick up this mix pack. 1. Sam Adam's makes ultra-decent beer. 2. Ticker's gotta tick.

NABS likes this.
  30. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Agreed. Though I think you and me might be in the minority cuz everyone else voted for the other sample (Mighty Oak, I believe) at the fest I attended.

31. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

LOL. I still have 2 cases of O-fest that I am working my way through!

Thickfreakness likes this.
  32. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Maple Pecan Porter sounds delicious

33. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Those people must have been too drunk. I thought the Mighty Oak was Mighty Awful.

TheSixthRing likes this.
  34. Ford

Surprisingly... I picked it up at my local Walmart here in Texas.... it stood out amongst all the crap BMC beers.

35. Ford

I think this might have hit south Texas first as we don't get much of a winter.;) ... (though it will be in the thirties the next two nights... but up into the fifties during the day.)

36. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Looks like I'll be waiting for this to hit the local stores. :)

37. Remember Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/38591

They may give Jack's Abby a run for their money if they can match the excellence that was their imperial pilsner.

38. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

Ha ha I was just thinking about when this will be out in stores and if it will come even earlier this year...guess I have my answer!

I will be picking up a case for sure. I like the Boston Lager, Alpine Spring and the Irish Red (just okay, but an easy drinker) and I am really curious about the others...the IPL sounds very interesting! The Wit beer, I will try one of course but more than likely I will end up saving most of them for when a few of my friends come over, as most of them like that style. The Maple Pecan Porter I will probably dig and on paper, there is no way I couldn't like it!

I have never been that impressed with the Winter pack either, and this is more up my alley.

39. Ford

I just had the last Irish Red.. and I really like this beer... I'll pick up a sixer once/if they are available.

40. mcmeador

mcmeador Zealot (95) Mississippi Sep 2, 2012

Found this in Memphis, TN, last night! Now I have 51 bottles in my Sam Adams collection.