1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams Spring Thaw pack..

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ford, Dec 28, 2012.

?

What do you expect to be your pack favorite?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2013.
  1. Boston Lager

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Double Agent IPL

46 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Irish Red

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Alpine Spring

25 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. White Lanter wit

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Maple Pecan Porter

103 vote(s)
    49.5%
  1. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I haven't even seen the Winter Classics (or whatever it's called) around me yet. :(
  2. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I only saw the winter classics twice... the second time was last night... almost picked one up... by I have other beers to buy for tonight.
  3. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (650) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I haven't had a Maple Pecan Porter yet but of the other I enjoy the Alpine Spring the most.
  4. And just wait until their summer offerings come in--next week.
  5. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Holy shit guys. This just made it to my neck of the woods, and this Double Agent IPL. It's absolutely phenomenal, far better than I expected. It reminds me a hell of a lot of Lagunitas DayTime with a grainier malt base. Yeah, a Samuel Adams beer that's as hoppy as a Lagunitas beer. I thought I'd never see the day. I'm going to try the new Latitude 48 with Mosaic hops as soon as they cool down, my work just got those in today too.
    Tballz420 likes this.
  6. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Pretty sure I am in the minority in regards to Alpine Spring. Last year I fucking loved that beer as far as session-able qualities go and in terms of the "wow factor". I just found it to be so crisp, hoppy (in a delicate and session-able way) and just guzzled the shit out of it...will be curious to try the new members to this "pack" in a few weeks.
  7. shand

Alright, drinking a 2013 Mosaic Latitude 48 now. The Mosaic hops are here in a big way, there's a big fruity berry note here that makes Latitude 48 stand out more in the marketplace. It's hop-forward, yet rather mellow. It's an improved beer as far as I'm concerned, and one I'm more likely to pick up, but the Double Agent will really be the beer for hop-heads in SA's lineup.
    Ford likes this.
  8. Maple Pecan Porter. easily one of the better SA beers Ive ever had.
    Ford likes this.
  9. Always been a big fan of Irish Red
    Ford likes this.
  10. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Did Sam change the Latitude 48 offering? It was always a decent hoppy beer but a few recent posts make me want to try it again. I'm actually really looking forward to this mix. If only it would show up in Boston
  11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

I stopped in a store the other day near me and they didn't have it in yet but expect to get it in this week. Some of the damn stuff may have been brewed here in PA yet we are still one of the last to get it LOL

Yes, they are using Mosaic hops now from Yakima, WA.

I totally agree and I loved it as well!
    pixieskid likes this.
  12. I had the exact same experience. My sentiments exactly.
    pixieskid likes this.
  13. shand

And, to clarify, the new cases, six-packs, and bottles will mention the new formula, so you don't need to be picking stuff up at random to get at the new stuff. It'll be obvious.
  14. variety packs always cost more than regular packs. i rather buy a single or bomber of the IPL or the pecan porter rather than the whole mix pack
  15. Ford

I'm not sure if they'll be selling the Maple Pecan Porter outside of the variety pack...
  16. I bought the Winter pack for new years eve last night. I really enjoyed the Chocolate Bock, well balenced with a hint of chococlate. I also liked the Porter as well, the rest was boston Lager and Winter Lager two decent beers, and a x-mas witt which I'm not so much into.
  17. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

A hint of chocolate? That's a joke, right?
    LeRose likes this.
  18. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Just picked this up today. Looking forward to them all.
  19. Ford

Drank my second Maple Pecan Porter.. just a really good beer... I'd buy six packs of this.
  20. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Probably the Maple Pecan Porter because it seems most interesting.
  21. Boy howdy. Tasted like a Budweiser ale infused with copper flavoring. Mighty Oak? The oak was mighty absent.
  22. I'd guess the Maple Pecan Porter. My expectation is that it'll be good, but not great. I'd expect the Wit to be the most disappointing.
  23. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I am looking forward to this. The Mighty Oak was not my favorite last year so I won't miss it. The MPP and the IPL sound great to me.
  24. mcmeador

mcmeador Zealot (85) Mississippi Sep 2, 2012

Haha, that's what I was thinking. It tasted like chocolate milk in beer form. I liked it, though.
  25. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Me too. Actually, in its own way it is outstanding, but no doubt chocolate milk of the best kind. Just not very bock-evoking
  26. ESHBG

I was able to pick up this pack last night but only tried the Double Agent IPL so far, and it was pretty good!
  27. Picked up the 24 pack Spring Thaw box today, for $22. What a deal. Local shops want $16 for the 12 pack. Go go Sam's Club. Looking forward to popping one of the Maple Pecan Porters once they chill a little bit.
  28. WinoSapien

WinoSapien Disciple (70) Texas Jun 28, 2010

Looking forward to the Irish Red. Had the Alpine Spring last year and it was very refreshing and tasty.
  29. Probably not relevant, but I hate Winter Lager and hope to never see it's ugly face in my glass again.

The spring pack sounds pretty good though, I'll be picking it up.
  30. Spring pack widely available in NH despite our snowbanks. However, I could drink Alpine Spring, Irish Red and others any time of the year. I'm a big fan of Jack's Abby Hoponious Union but also found the IPL in this pack very enjoyable. I'll definitely be purchasing some IPL 6-packs when available - an acceptable substitute since Jack's Abby products aren't currently sold in NH. Overall, maybe the best SA Mixed Pack that I've purchased.
  31. Its tasty!
    Just picked it up last night
    lucasj82 likes this.
  32. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Got one of these packs the other day and I really enjoy it. The Maple Pecan Porter is a throwback to the days of Pete's Wicked Maple - one of my first "eureka!" moment beers. The IPL is kind of like a double Boston Lager.
    Alpine Spring might not be a traditional kellerbier, but it's still tasty.
    As usual, their witbier is the weak point. White Lantern tastes like a 50/50 mix of their old Spring and Summer ales. Meh at best, and unimaginative. I'm guessing Boston Beer must sell a boatload of wheat beers or something because they seem to want to keep cranking out rehashes of the same thing.
  33. ESHBG

I think they are trying to lure some new craft beer drinkers in and it is a great gateway beer, much like Blue Moon is. I too find it to be just okay, but it does work well for me to have a few on hand because just as I predicted, last night I had a friend over who is not a big beer drinker but enjoyed the White Lantern.

And the Maple Pecan Porter is delicious!
    MilkManX and Craigory like this.
  34. MilkManX

Maybe. I think they like to try new recipes to see what "sticks". I will need that pack soon as my Winter case is about gone now..
    Craigory likes this.
  35. This. I quite liked the White Lantern myself (a tangerine/orange "splash"), though it would not be a go-to beer for me. However, I could take a 6-pack to a party, people would drink and like it, and might be willing to try other better beers as a result of that experience.
    MilkManX likes this.
  36. Hmmm...just passed this up today to grab a case of Alpine Spring (which has quickly become my favorite SA beer). Judging by some of the comments here I may need to give this mix pack a shot. I just wish the price point was a little better - mid 30s for the case when I can get something from Victory or Lagunitas for a few bucks more.
  37. MilkManX

Costco/Sams Club has these for $24 here in AZ.
    Craigory likes this.
  38. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Had my first Maple last night and it was delicious. Other than Fat Jack I'd have to say its my favorite SA
  39. I dont think its released yet in NJ yet
  40. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (250) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

Crap... I better finally pick up a winter mixed pack if I can still find any on the shelves.