1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams Spring Thaw pack..

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ford, Dec 28, 2012.

?

What do you expect to be your pack favorite?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2013.
  1. Boston Lager

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Double Agent IPL

46 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Irish Red

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Alpine Spring

25 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. White Lanter wit

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Maple Pecan Porter

103 vote(s)
    49.5%
  1. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I got one yesterday and tried the 3 beers I never had before.
    Maple Pecan Porter was great. A little sweet but I like maple. The IPL was very interesting and very drinkable. Easily a cold summer beer here in AZ. The last one I tried was the White Lantern which is a wit beer. Not my favorite style but surprisingly I enjoyed this quite a bit. I think I may be getting use to wit beers and now can enjoy them. Overall for 22-24 bucks at your local Costco/Sam's Club this is a solid variety pack.

2. Oh, come on man. I made that joke on Page 1. ;)

3. Can't say I'll pick this one up. I usually avoid hoppy beers, excluding beers that have big malt backbones to back it up. Seasonals do need to get back in order. The only time it's ok for a seasonal to come out early is in the Fall, because I look forward to the transition back to heavier, maltier beers, pumpkin, and cooler weather.

4. Apart from the Double Agent IPL, I wouldn't say this pack is especially hoppy. That'll come in a few months, with Samuel Adams' "Hop-ology" pack.

5. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (365) Germany Jan 22, 2012

The maple pecan porter was pretty good. Best by a long shot

6. Probably the IPL, but im never going to by a 12 pack of Sam Adams to find out. Their beers are just too inoffensive.

7. That is a good thing...

RoninTK3 likes this.

8. I meant they lack character and just play it safe even when they try 'new' things.

9. have you tried whitewater IPA? it's their best 'white' beer. Blackberry witbeir isn't bad either.

10. I had a 12er of this a week or two ago. I really liked the IPL. It was smooth and refreshing with a big hopp flavor, well done SA. The maple pecan porter was a very interesting beer. I liked it, SWMBO loved it. I got more pecan flavor than maple flavor from it. I would have like it more the other way around. Everything else I had tried before and is pretty average.

11. I was able to try the Maple Pecan Porter on the weekend and really enjoyed it. As the poster above mentions, it was more pecan than maple, but there was enough of both there for my likings. I'd buy a six pack of this if I could. I didn't get to try anything else out of the Thaw Pack, but the IPL sounded interesting.

12. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I like everything in this pack. Besides some of the Long Shot series this is there best mix pack yet!

13. MilkManX

I think the Harvest pack has been my favorite so far. This one is good though. Tied with the Holiday pack for me.
    Looking forward to a Summer Mix if they do one.

14. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I grabbed this mix-pack and took it ice fishing with friends. Since we were drinking out of the bottles, I can't really comment on the nose much, but the taste of both the porter and the IPL were definitely good and worth returning to. The IPL wasn't so much fruity as it was piney, but it was very crisp and delicious. I didn't try any of the other beers.

15. Noble Pilsner is often too hoppy for my mood, if that gives you any perspective.

Shmuffalo likes this.
  16. They do one for each "season," plus the aforementioned Long Shot packs, and the Hop-ology (which is actually out now, in Columbia SC, at least).

17. Gotcha. This pack might be half and half for you then.

18. A friend of mine got this box the other night and I tried each of them, I was pretty happy with them. The Maple Pecan Porter was easily my favorite, that was freaking delicious. If I can find that in a sixer, I'm getting that no questions asked. I also liked the Irish Red quite a bit, but I seem to enjoy every beer of that style. The Double Agent IPL was sort of in the middle of the pack. I probably wouldn't buy a six pack of that stuff, but it was by no means bad, I enjoyed it. The White Lantern and Alpine Spring were probably my two least favorites, but I still enjoyed them. Overall, I'd highly suggest this to anyone that enjoys the styles included.

19. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I saw Hop-ology today!

Craigory likes this.
  20. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I didnt know a new pack was coming out. Mother of god yes.

If i can find this 12 pack and the spring thaw 12 pack together im set for a while

21. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

I really liked Maple Pecan Porter but the rest were just okay. Probably won't buy again because I didn't enjoy the others enough even though I would like more Maple.

22. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I saw it coming in with Nugget Nectar today in Ohio, so it should be to you soon.

23. Looks like the same Hop-ology line-up as last year, except that they've tweaked the Latitude 48 recipe with Mosaic hops. I hope to give it a try soon.

MilkManX likes this.
  24. This was a nice solid mixed 12. The Maple Pecan was outstanding, although still a very simple session beer.

I found the IPL funny. It's sort of Sam Adam's attempt to cash in on the popularity of Jack's Abby's Hoponious Union while falling completely short. Nothing wrong it, it's a good solid session beer, but compared to Jack's, it might as well be water. :)

25. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Just curious, and it's entirely possible that this is a really freaking dumb question, but this last weekend I was looking at the descriptions on my box of Spring Thaw and noticed some odd references to Texas. Hopefully you can read the picture. I'm not sure if the same descriptions are online somewhere. Look at the Double Agent description and the Alpine Spring description. On Double Agent, it has an asterisk after IPA and the reference asterisk is "Beer in TX." And on Alpine Spring, a lager, the asterisk says "Ale in TX." WTF does that all mean? Again, may be a stupid question...

ETA: I just realized BA resized the picture. Clicking on it makes it slightly bigger, or you can follow the direct link --> http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/diamondjewel101/download.jpg which makes it bigger and more readable.

[​IMG]

All that aside...my favorite of the 6 choices in order were:

Double Agent IPL
    Maple Pecan Porter
    Alpine Spring
    White Lantern
    Irish Red
    Boston Lager

I thought all of them were reasonably solid but nothing overwhelmingly outstanding. I actually like Boston Lager pretty well, but out of the six choices, it was old news and boring to me. I went into it thinking I'd like the Maple Pecan Porter the most, but the IPL surprised me. And I thought Alpine Spring was solid, more orangey than I was expecting. White Lantern definitely wasn't my favorite representation of a wit and the Irish Red definitely wasn't my favorite representation of an Irish Red either. But I like wits better than Irish Reds.

26. Mape Pecan was by far my favorite beer in the box. I would love for it to get its own 6 pack. 2nd place for me goes to the IPL. Worst was The Lantern...very bland. Boston Lager tasty as always. Alpine and Irish are MEH.

27. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

TX state law forces certain definitions:

"In Texas, “beer” is defined as a malt beverage that contains at least ½% ABV but no more than 4% ABV. Any “beer” with an ABV above 4% is considered “ale."

http://www.brewtiful.com/?p=219

jtdolla911 likes this.
  28. I liked the Double Agent, drank one at my friends beer store and bought a case. This will be a great summertime beer.

29. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

How odd...and silly. But thanks for answering my question! You too, Craigory :)

30. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

Still haven't picked this up yet. I will do so just for the Maple Pecan porter. Had it at a beer fest 2 years ago and it was awesome! I'm more interested in the comparison to draft. I hope it's not too different.

And even though they might not be the "toppest" notch, there are more than 1 or 2 new beers here, which makes splitting/having a sixer a pretty easy chore.

31. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

No prob! I think it is odd too however I live in PA, so I really can't say anything about any other state's beer/alcohol laws. ;)

32. Have had the Alpine Spring in bottle and on draft, and if you can find it fresh on draft and dont feel like a stout, or don't have a better choice, it's definitely worth it. Their stuff is pretty hit or miss for me, but I enjoyes that one.

33. Had to bump this because I just had it finally. The Maple Pecan Porter was clearly the best. You can taste the pecans, maple syrup, chocolate, and coffee. Its a well put together, well made, and well balanced beer. I would definitaley but a sixer of this if it was available. The worst was the Alpine Spring. It basically had everything I dont like about lagers.

34. MilkManX

If I were to personally rate this pack..

1.) Maple Pecan Porter
    2.) Double Agent IPL
    3.) Irish Red
    4.) Alpine Spring
    5.) Boston Lager
    6.) White Lantern.

Now I don't find any of these bad but to rate in order of taste/flavor/creativeness.

I am just not too big into Wit beers so that is why the Lantern is at the bottom.

35. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Some Sams Clubs in Texas have these on clearance..19 bucks for the 24 pack!

MilkManX likes this.
  36. MilkManX

I would buy 5 easy!