1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams summer variety pack hittin the streets

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Hobby, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Hobby

Hobby Member

As I look at the snow on the ground and the flakes flying on this twenty something degree day in March, I've noticed the Sam summer pack is coming.

This years package consists of -

Summer Ale
    Boston Lager
    Porch Rocker
    Belgian Session
    Little White Rye
    Blueberry Hill Lager

Some stores (areas) will be receiving the variety pack as soon as March 9th.
    gjoker321 likes this.
  2. ErmaGerd

ErmaGerd Member

I'll be sure to pour them into my boston lager perfect pint glass before enjoying.
    gjoker321 and Kikodamian like this.
  3. MilkManX

MilkManX Member

Summer Ale is my least favorite Seasonal from Sam Adams and this whole pack is not blowing up my skirt like the previous 3 have. I might get one 12 pack just to try that Blueberry Lager.
  4. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

It's sad that I've come to associate Sam's Summer as an annual March Madness tradition. At the kinds of bars you want to go to watch a bunch of games at once your tap selection tends to be extremely limited, and the best thing is often the Sam seasonal.
    gjoker321 likes this.
  5. Alextricity

Alextricity Member

Pisses me the hell off that Sam Adams releases these seasonals so damn early. Why can't they release this thing in mid-May?

Additionally, I don't care much for Summer Ale, Porch Rocker has mediocre reviews, I'm over Boston Lager (they should have put in S.A. Light or Boston Ale or something instead), etc.

The only one I care to try is the Blueberry Lager. I hope that's in standalone packs.
    ufmj likes this.
  6. bramsdell

bramsdell Member

Not a Sam's hater at all; I typically buy their seasonal at least once. This is the first one in a long time that I will pass on. I'm ready for the Fall pack already.
    gjoker321, SpdKilz, Gamblor14 and 2 others like this.
  7. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Member

Already hit the 80's here in Ft. Worth. 60's-70's most days. Time for summer beer.

As Winston Wolf said to Jules and Vincent: Move out of the sticks boys.
  8. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Member

It kind of stinks that this is my least favorite release, but its going to be on the shelves the longest of any of their releases.
    CMUbrew likes this.
  9. Gamblor14

Gamblor14 Member

Good news is, you shouldn't have to wait long.
  10. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

I wonder if the blueberry hill lager is as bad as it sounds.
  11. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Member

Well that sucks I would much rather drink Samuel Adams Alpine Spring which seems to be the seasonal now.
    fuzzylogic likes this.
  12. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

But you have all of January and February to drink the Spring beer. :)
  13. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Member

Taste pretty good late march. I could drink it till June which to me really is summer
  14. raynmoon

raynmoon Member

It is almost time for summer beer in California. At least wait for Easter.
  15. BeastLU

BeastLU Member

It snowed yesterday...
  16. willbm3

willbm3 Member

12 packs of Sam Summer hit the streets of Boston today. It's currently snowing
    TheJerkstore and DoubleJ like this.
  17. iwanatalk2sampson

iwanatalk2sampson Member

I never buy a 12 pack but always taste them, one way or another.
  18. Cuzco

Cuzco Member

You must be glad you only have to wait until May for that box!!
    rauchfest, raynmoon and MammaGoose like this.
  19. beerme411

beerme411 Member

Seriously this is crazy went 2 supermarkets within 10 minutes of each other 1 was full of Winter packs and a couple spring. The other had some spring and mostly summer, by june well get the fall pack. Yay fresh pumpkin beer on my birthday!
  20. TheSamKuehn

TheSamKuehn Member

I've given up on breweries releasing their seasonals at the appropriate time. Summer beers in March, Pumpkin beers in August, Christmas beers in Sept./Oct., etc. It never ends.
  21. Kikodamian

Kikodamian Member

I went to a restaurant a few weeks ago and they said Sam Adams seasonal was on draft and I asked them what it was and they said it was Alpine Spring. I'm not surprised the summer packs are hitting the shelves. I'm not quite ready for them but whatcha gonna do?
  22. raynmoon

raynmoon Member

Sierra Nevada always gets their release schedule right...
    DanK4 likes this.
  23. tzieser

tzieser Zealot

It was 84 today and will be 80+ everday from here on out. I lived in MA all my life and never understood why seasonals came out so early....well now i understand that some markets can handle an early summer release. You wont hear any seasonal complaints here!
    teraflx, dumpman and gjoker321 like this.
  24. beerassociate

beerassociate Member

good more for us
    alex_hart likes this.
  25. LMT

LMT Member

I have about 2 inches of snow on the ground in northern VA today...saw the summer variety pack last Friday.

I'ts still stout season here!
    TheSamKuehn likes this.
  26. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

I hear Blueberry lager and i vomit in my mouth a little bit. It's Wild Blue's fault.
    GFG, rauchfest and gjoker321 like this.
  27. Rekrule

Rekrule Member

I'm sick of SA trying to ram a witbier down the consumers throat.
    HeyJim and willbm3 like this.
  28. willbm3

willbm3 Member

It's because it's a "girly" beer and a good style for people who don't really like beer. It's also a could simmer style. I see why they're doing it from a business standpoint but how many different witbiers (or almost witbiers) have they released in the last two years?
  29. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Member

:eek: Whaaa??
  30. Rekrule

Rekrule Member

There's one in every single seasonal pack. They've been awful drainpours to unmemorable and mediocre. If they could brew a winner I'd enjoy it, but they would have done in by now. From a business stand point, they lost me on this mix pack because 3 of the beers sound bad, one sounds mediocre, the Belgian session sounds of some interest and then there's BL.
  31. willbm3

willbm3 Member

I rarely buy the mix packs. I'm lucky if half of them are moderately enjoyable. It always seems to me that their mix packs are geared at non craft drinkers.
  32. Rekrule

Rekrule Member

I agree. I'll grab one when it comes out just to see if anything jumps out. I'll probably stop doing that soon.
  33. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Member

I was at a bar the other day where the Harpoon seasonal was still Winter Warmer. I'll take fresh summer beers over old winter beers any day of the week.
  34. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

Eww, Winter Warmer... Surprised they didn't swap that out for Celtic for St Patty's Day...
  35. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Member

Yeah, I definitely made a WTF face when she said that.
  36. kojevergas

kojevergas Member

I hope I didn't miss another thread about this, but I just picked this pack up and was wondering what people thought of it? I figure it's worth a thread revival. I tried the radler and was none too impressed.
  37. lsummers

lsummers Member

I tried a couple of these at a friends house. Started with the Little White Rye since I love rye notes, but I found it drinkable but un pleasing. Next I had the porch rocker, I had to drain pour that guy. One of the worst I've had in a while.
  38. Zbyler

Zbyler Member

I tried it the other day and it is pretty bad.

~Z
    kojevergas likes this.
  39. BierGartenok

BierGartenok Member

Summer mixed and longshot hit OK today...it's a balmy 40 degrees!
  40. Zbyler

Zbyler Member

From what our Sam rep said, they do it because summer and oktoberfest are their best sellers. Spring and winter don't sell very well for the most part so they want to get to summer as fast as possible.

Also, they ran out of alpine spring early this year so they had to push the summer out or not have any product out. Just like last summer when the summer was gone wayyyyy to early and oktoberfest was out.