1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Adams summer variety pack hittin the streets

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Hobby, Mar 19, 2013.

1. I've found that Summer Ale makes a really nice Colombian style michalada.
  2. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

We got a few of these in at our store two weeks ago. Looked over the selection and was very displeased. I usually try each of the seasonal packs, but this one....nah.
  3. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

Blah..none for (me), keep it all for yourselves
  4. Mmmmm, nothing like a good summer beer in April as it continues to snow here.....
  5. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (575) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Ill drink a Pumpkinator I have in the cellar sometime throughout this summer. Im not gonna do it during the day by my pool when its 100 deg outside, but inside at night when i feel like it, why not.
  6. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

That's a completely different situation though, so.
  7. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

The Blueberry Hill Lager was pretty bad.
    Hobby likes this.
  8. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

How is it a different situation? Still the same weather outside. Still the same date on the calendar. Only difference is that he's drinking inside instead of outside. And what difference does it make what the weather/calendar are like? Sure, I tend to prefer lighter beers when it's hot out and thicker, heavier beers when it's cold. But sometimes, a nice piney IPA sounds great in the dead of winter, or a bottle of Yeti sounds fantastic in the summer. But I guess I'm drinking beer the wrong way.
  9. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Which is all the difference in the world. That's my whole point.
  10. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I'm curious. While Sam Adams might have some beers I wish they'd switch out, they rarely totally screw anything up too.
    If they'd just back off of their weird witbier variants I'd be a lot happier.
    MilkManX, harrylee773 and kojevergas like this.
  11. I drink Cigar City Good Gourd in August. That's when they release it.

And we have 90+ days into October.
    kojevergas likes this.
  12. pitweasel

So your point is that seasons don't matter; only whether you're sitting inside or outside matters. Thus, your point is that seasonal releases are fine and nothing to worry about at all, because consumers are free to drink indoors or outdoors as they please.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification!
    JG-90 likes this.
  13. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Seriously. Here in Miami, we have hot days even in the winter. I really don't care about release timing for the most part (actually, it'd be great if Good Gourd could be year round). Though I do enjoy an imperial stout on the colder evenings.
  14. pitweasel

In defense of the "this is absurd" posts though, I will say this much:

If you're going to release it in March, why not just call it the Spring Pack instead? Seriously, I bet no one would have uttered a single complaint about the timing of this if Sam Adams changed the name "Summer Ale" to "Spring" something or other (or just substituted a different beer), and then changed the whole pack name to Spring Variety. Nothing in that mix strikes me as a quintessential "summer beer" in terms of seasonal tastes; they all sound like things that would go just great at something like a Memorial Day cookout.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  15. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Yeah for some reason their releases this year are a good 2 months ahead of schedule. I thought it was FALL Pack (Aug-OCT) Winter Pack (Nov-Jan) Spring (Feb-Apr) Summer (May-July).

There are some stores in my area with 12 packs of the Winter still and the Spring. NO summer sightings here yet.
  16. sculls65

sculls65 Aficionado (225) Michigan Dec 15, 2008

Its all because of Global Warming
    tr9871, Ruger, lic217 and 1 other person like this.
  17. I have tried more Sam Adams beers than any other brewery, and they have yet to make a beer that blows me away. Yet, they consistently make good beer that I enjoy, so I always have fun trying their seasonal packs. Even if it is a tad early for me to enjoy a summer beer, I will pick this one up at some point.
  18. Ruger

Ruger Savant (270) Kentucky Aug 15, 2010

I'm curious how the Blueberry Hill Lager is compared to Sweetwater Blue.
  19. teraflx

teraflx Savant (395) Arizona Feb 4, 2013

Regardless of what they call it, In my opinion it is just a box of mediocre at best beers.
    willbm3 likes this.
  20. I wish that they would release some of their good seasonal/one time release beers in six packs so I don't have to buy a 12 pack mix to try one of them. Where is your Scotch Ale at Boston Beer Co? One of the best 12 oz beers I have had from them and impossible to get. Oh well, at least I can use their blueberry beer to clean my golf balls
    kojevergas likes this.
  21. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Have you tried Stony Brook Red? It's overlooked, but delicious.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  22. I do live in the Boston area.. But is it just me or is it weird that Sam summer and summer variety packs were being delivered at my store during a blizzard?
  23. Chris289

Chris289 Zealot (75) Connecticut Jan 21, 2009

I rarely post, hell I think this may even be my first post, but for all you bashing SA for putting out their summer beer, the store I work at here in CT, we have also have gotten in Brooklyn Summer, Harpoon Summer, Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and a few more I can't think of off the top of my head. A lot of companies are starting early.
  24. The Summer ale can never leave soon enough IMO
    willbm3 likes this.
  25. Not to say that I don't like a handful of SA's beer, but I really don't like how many variety packs they produce. I wish they would just focus on the really solid beers in their line up, rather than try to rope people in with gimmicky shit like blueberry beer. They've proven they can make world class beer and I think if they devoted more time to a smaller selection everything they make would be kick ass. It's like a restaurant with a huge menu. Quality suffers because of a lack of focus.
  26. MilkManX

Well my local Costco got 24's of the Hopology pack and that made me happy.
  27. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Cool thing about living in MA is that one of my local places actually separates seasonal and specialty packs. So I was able to get Belgian Session and Little White Rye in a mix 6. Funny thing is the store is in RI. At $1.79 a bottle it makes it perfect just to try. Every bottle shop should do this
  28. Skip this seasonal pack, nothing good to say about blueberry lager and porch rocker. Little white rye was drinkable and a Belgian session? Not hating on Sam, but definitely their first seasonal variety I will completely avoid.
    Pringle and ThomasAWilson2 like this.
  29. I do not like Summer Ale, Sam I Am. I will not drink it in a bar, I will not drink it in a car, I will not drink it near or far.
    Ruger likes this.
  30. Not even close my man. Tastes really metallic & artificial (same with Cherry Wheat) and thinner than SWB.
  31. Ruger

Ruger Savant (270) Kentucky Aug 15, 2010

Jeez, to be honest though SWB is the only fruit beer I've liked. I've had Cherry Wheat before and it was disappointing....I love anything with Cherries too but man it tasted like someone put some cough syrup in a beer.

I'm hoping to tour the SweetWater Brewery this summer. Or at least go to it.
  32. You won't have any problems touring, look forward to it. Just recently moved out of Atlanta, you'll have a great time. Catch a Braves game while you're down!
  33. Sweetwater Blue>>>>>>>>>Sam Adams Blueberry>>>>>>>>>>Cherry Wheat

Also, the Belgian Session was awful.
    Ruger likes this.
  34. I'll probably pick one up at some point. There are a few in there that I haven't tried. Sam is always drinkable at the very least.
  35. Fluffytaster

Fluffytaster Disciple (65) Texas Aug 23, 2009

This is the next variety pack I plan on buying. Not really looking forward to the Blueberry Hill, as I've never had a good experience with a blueberry beer (given I've only had one, but it has deterred me from all others).
  36. fallonjp

fallonjp Disciple (60) Illinois Aug 6, 2009

When did that happen? Would have loved if my local Costco got the Hopology pack. Although, I'd prefer the Latitude 48 IPA Deconstructed pack...even though I don't love the Latitude 48 like I used to with the addition of the Mosaic hops in this years release.

As for the summer pack debate, I'll pass on it altogether, give me fall and winter varieties all year long and I'm happy.
  37. MilkManX

It was about 2 weeks ago here in AZ.
  38. Pringle

Pringle Initiate (15) May 2, 2013

I can honestly say that I was disappointed in this pack. Essentially I would not drink any of these beers again, save Lager of course. I love microbrews and drink tons of the fine libations made in my home state and the US, and used to brag on Sam for having great beer despite being a massive producer. NO more. This is total crap. Save your money folks.
  39. kinghippo

kinghippo Zealot (80) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

You Sir are in luck, the fall pack comes out two weeks after the summer pack.. lol