1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jazzwalker, Dec 4, 2012.

1. In a nutshell, I was very surprised at how good this was. My goodness, so much chocolate flavor there was almost no room for bitter hops! Anyone know if this is a new year round beer for them, or a limited release? Anyone else try it?
    Zhiguli likes this.
  2. It made my personal 5 best new beers of 2012. Tried one, went out and bought a case. The flavors really open up if served near room temp.
  3. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I wasn't surprised, but yeah it is a pretty great beer. I think it's a year-rounder.
  4. Good stuff. Would assume that this would now join the fruit beers in the organic series. Best low ABV choc beer there is in my opinion. Only 5% ABV.
    Zhiguli likes this.
  5. Been known to enjoy the occasional Samuel Smith Beer (Taddy Porter, Oatmeal Stout), but this was to much chocolate for me, go through about half and then down the drain it went.
  6. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

I enjoyed this beer, but did find the chocolate a little artificial. Didnt measure up to their Oatmeal Stout or Imperial Stout, IMO.
    CORKSCREWFISH and Ricelikesbeer like this.
  7. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

How is it compared to Youngs DC? That was one of my first beer loves...
  8. I only had a 3 or 4 oz pour of it but I actually had a tough time drinking all of it. While it wasn't as bad and it's been a while since I've had it but something about it reminded me of SA Chocolate Bock, not a pleasant reminder.
    CORKSCREWFISH and kylelenk like this.
  9. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

interesting, I work for their distributor here in VA and we don't carry it (not label approved)
  10. ahq514

ahq514 Savant (315) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

It will be year round, but I think it has been doing much better than anyone thought, so (depending on your area) it will be in short supply for awhile.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Well that would certainly explain why I haven't seen it around.
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I liked it to the extreme.
    Zhiguli likes this.
  13. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Loved it. My best surprise of 2012.
    cnbrown313 and njhopspop like this.
  14. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

We've had shortages as well. I'll echo the statements of cloying, artificial, and way too heavy handed. Interesting for a sip or two but I couldn't see actually drinking it.
    CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  15. I was really impressed with this beer as well. We had it at Beervana here in RI a couple of months back. I thought it stole the show (and that's saying a TON considering the stuff we had that night). I was amazed that there are no artificial ingredients in that beer. It is SO chocolatey. Loved the beer.
  16. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Blows Young's off the map IMO. One of my top 5 new beers of 2012.
  17. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Tastes like alcoholic YooHoo, and like Young's DC. While I enjoyed it, those beers are ultimately a bit too sweet and fake tasting for me so I pretty much never revisit them.
  18. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Samuel Smith brews are like a warm handshake from an old friend. I love spending a long cold winter night at home with some oatmeal stout, or this new gem, reading a good book, or discussing politics with a buddy. Intellectual idulgences go hand in hand with these brews IMO.
  19. I found the chocolate taste in this beer to be extremely artificial tasting to the point that i could not finish the bottle i actually thought it was disgusting .
  20. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I bought 4 bottles just the other day in Chantilly VA.
  21. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

...oh and I do like this brew...looking to pick up more.
  22. finado

finado Aficionado (105) Minnesota Jul 6, 2009

I was disappointed and unimpressed. Not that is was terrible but I thought mediocre and very overrated. I prefer Youngs.
  23. My God, a chocolate beer that tastes too much like chocolate. They really screwed this one up for sure.:rolleyes:
  24. Is this one making it to MA? I haven't seen it around.
  25. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

I agree with the alcoholic Yoohoo part, however I quite enjoy Young's Double Chocolate.
  26. I picked mine up at Wegman's in Northboro a few back .
  27. For what it is it's good, I didn't enjoy it much myself, but I agree with the two comments that its very similar to SA Chocolate Bock, and alcoholic yoohoo... something that years ago I may have enjoyed more.
  28. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

ISO : Alcoholic Yoo Hoo
    claspada likes this.
  29. Loved the stuff! I would not recommend the beer to anyone that despises sweet beers.

I would love to find a four back but PA only has cases (to my knowledge) and it runs 62 bucks. Might split one with a friend.
  30. I drank a 4 pack of it last Sunday, and as a stout lover, I was blown away at how smooth and delicious it was. Awesome coconut notes in there, it tastes like a liquid mounds bar, only better. I plan on buying more and it will make a great alternative to the other stronger, hop-heavy winter warmers this month.
  31. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

i've heard this more often than the praises it's been getting but havent tried it myself
  32. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

Gots: Baileys and Yoo Hoo.
    MagillaGriller likes this.
  33. CJS

CJS Aficionado (190) Florida Oct 28, 2012

Was a bit overboard on the chocolate. Like more than a Rogue double Chocolate.
  34. I've had two so far and loved both of them. Liquid tootsie roll!
  35. kambei70

kambei70 Aspirant (25) Missouri Aug 6, 2012

Mounds bar, delicious! Tootsie roll, not so much.
  36. Definitely a winner straight out of the gate. Samuel Smith's is always quality.
  37. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Hmmmm.might have to give this one a try.
  38. Rizdac

Rizdac Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 5, 2010

Glad I took my local beer store guy's advice and picked up 2 the first time I had it. Then I went back for a 4-pack. It tasted better chilled in my opinion.
  39. It is in MA, seen it at a few shops in metro west. I found it to be thin and overly sweet without the dark chocolate depth I expected. Not a drain pour, but a lot less than I had hoped for from the king of Oatmeal Stouts