Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jazzwalker, Dec 4, 2012.

1. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I didn't enjoy this one, I couldn't get past the cocoa sweetness which did feel like an artificial flavor to me. I unfortunately had to drain pour it, I just couldn't get past it. But then again I also just had an ipa and dinner so perhaps other flavors could have played a role.

CORKSCREWFISH and gcamparone like this.
  2. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (415) India Jul 25, 2009

Can someone ship me a bottle pleaseeeee..

3. IPAnut

IPAnut Aficionado (120) Texas Nov 15, 2012

All of samuel smiths brews are really good in my book

whendeathsleeps likes this.
  4. Huh?

stayclean and danieelol like this.
  5. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

I love Chocolatey stouts so I'm gonna try this. Thanks for this thread!

6. Someone had this at a dinner on Sunday night. Folks seemed to really like it, I'll grab a single next time I'm at the store.

7. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (230) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

I highly enjoyed it, and went back the next day to get another bottle. It tastes like cocoa. A good cup of cocoa. (Which makes me wonder if the people who say they drain poured this would do the same with a cup of cocoa.)

8. Hated this beer. Far too artificially sickly sweet. And a recent fresh bottle of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout very obviously lacked its usual depth and mouthfeel.

9. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Thanks for the thread and comments! I have never heard of this one before. I will be looking for it tomorrow. Cheers to the chocolate gang!

10. supermodified

11. Where did you find this at? I have been keeping an eye out for it at TW but it hasn't appeared yet.

12. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (420) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Gonna have to look for this one when I get home.

13. dciBA

dciBA Savant (390) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Hated it. All i smelled and tasted was artificial vanilla extract. 2 sips and down the drain. Organic? Please

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  14. Zanico

Zanico Savant (435) Ohio Nov 24, 2009

Had this about a month ago.Was very surprised at how much I liked it. Wouldn't want it everyday, but it's a great change of pace now and then.

15. Has anyone seen it in Somerville/Cambridge?

16. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Hope I am lucky enough to come across it. My local beer market is pretty limited but we do get some Sam Smith.

17. Haven't looked there, who usually carries a decent full line of Sam Smiths there? I also have 2 left from the 4 pack I bought if you want them.

18. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

must be overlap from the DC distributor up there. it's not VA label approved...

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

For those that have had it, how would you compare the chocolate intensity to say Southern Tier Choklat?

20. Not that this adds anything to the conversations, but I found these in 12 ounce bottles vs the 18.7 ounce bottles and the 12 ounce bottles were a LOT cheaper per ounce compared to the larger bottles. I think I paid $5.99 for the larger bottles but only $2.49 for the smaller 12 ounce bottles. Ask first if they have in 12 ounce bottles, you might save yourself a lot of dough.

SnowFlowMfg likes this.
  21. Thought it was pretty good. Not enough hop.

22. supermodified

More cocoa than chocolate, and not as syrupy-strong and artificial as Southern Tier Choklat or Dragon's Milk. Well-balanced, and I found it very easy to finish the bomber (more so than ST Choklat.)

23. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I dunno I'm rarely sober when I make posts, but, I stand by what I said.

jnoble likes this.
  24. It was pretty good for a few sips, after that I couldn't stand it and it hit the drain. It tasted like the bad chocolate flavoring used in some very low quality whey protein powders. Bleh.

25. Has there been any SE Michigan sightings of this? This sounds right up my lane.

26. It uses artificial chocolate flavour?

27. My girlfriend's two favorite beers are Chocolate Bock and Sam Smith Organic Apricot Ale. I'll probably need a case of this stuff.

28. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

yeah me too, I thought the exact same thing. The chocolate flavor tasted more like an extract or something, rather than fresh chocolate. I like Sam Smith beers (especially for the price) but was underwhelmed by this one. Just personal opinion of course.

CORKSCREWFISH and ant880 like this.
  29. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

They use "gently roasted organic cocoa extract", which to my understanding would not be artificial. The flavor it gave off, to me anyway, tasted artificial.

30. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Anyone try that chocolate beer from Boulevard last year? That one wasnt' great either, but they collabed' with some chef to put a bunch of real chocolate in the beer. It was very chocolate-forward. Reminded me of drinking from a chocolate fountain or something. I wouldn't buy it again, but it was interesting.

31. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I've seen it at Martignetti's in Brighton.

I considered getting some but didn't, and if it's really as sweet as some here maintain, I was probably wise not to.

32. I actually really enjoy Choklat it actually tastes like chocolate but the Samuel Smith was watery and very fake tasting I personally would not recommend it but given the mixed reviews in this thread it might be worth a tick for ya .

CORKSCREWFISH and ComRock12 like this.
  33. od_sf

od_sf Savant (430) California Nov 2, 2010

Had this last night. Enjoyed the first few sips, but in the end it was way too sweet for me.

34. really like this. lots of chocolate flavor. i agree that it is a bit thin for a stout, but very flavorful.

35. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I actually just grabbed a bottle. Been wanting this for some time but then suddenly realised checking the info here that this is a milk stout, which has me a little bummed. That's not one of my favorite styles, there are only a few that i dont mind. I Will be reviewing it soon.

36. I just enjoyed one of these about 10 mins ago. Really surprised to see it on the front page. My initial response when I stuck my nose into the tulip glass: Wow! That's a lot of chocolate! Its basically nestle powder poured into a YDCS. Some would say this is a bad thing. I personally think its a chocolate stout, not with nestle powder added but dust from angels wings added. (I can't grammar but you see what I mean) I ran from the kitchen into the living room and exclaimed to the wife, "Babe, you have GOT to taste this!" She looked at me weird but then had a sip and quickly understood my excitement. Her response, "We're getting more of this tomorrow."

Not much a review as it was an experience but I believe that's what this beer is. An experience.

37. Vendome in Toluca Lake.

38. rrock44

rrock44 Savant (335) Washington Oct 27, 2009

Not sure if it's been mentioned (skimmed the posts after a few)...if you like chocolate stouts give Rogue's chocolate stout a try.

39. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Tried to buy a single today but the store wouldn't let me. Next time I go to Total Wine I'll pick up a single.

40. brewscruiser

brewscruiser Zealot (75) Georgia Jun 9, 2011

I first sampled this, thanks to my local Merchant du Vin sales representative. Putting my cards on the table, I have to say I've never been disappointed by a Samuel Smith offering, and the Organic Chocolate Stout is no different. This is an outstandingly drinkable chocolate stout, with a very rich, natural cocoa aroma. Some have described it as thin, but, please, keep in mind that this is a 5 % ABV chocolate stout that is not meant to be excessively "chewy."