Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jazzwalker, Dec 4, 2012.

1. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

This thread inspired me to seek out this beer. I am impressed by the chocolate flavor, but find the sweetness cloying. I thought about dumping it more than once. Not that I hated it, but I had had enough well before the bottle was empty. If I never have it again, I'll be OK with that. I never was disappointed by a Sam Smith beer. Before this one.

2. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (280) California Aug 2, 2012

How does this compare to southern tier Choklat?

3. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Just finished one of these bad boy's. Split it with the lady and skipped dessert which was a good idea. I was between this and a soft DK, but i figured this would be more like dessert, plus I need to study for my finals, and so the low abv won out in the end. It was fantastic on the first glass, but I got halfway through the second, and gave the rest to my sister. Choklat is a better example of a chocolate stout. I loved it but I just couldn't pick out the stout part. If they would have given it the body, and some of the flavors of their oatmeal stout, then we would have been in business. Still, I really enjoyed it.

4. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

My comments almost exactly.

I love chocolate. I love beer. I really enjoy my annual ST Choklat. I enjoy Young's Chocolate beer when in the mood.

This one....not so much. Very high marks for the chocolate aroma...like smelling a can of cocoa powder.

The mouthfeel and taste? VERY thin and very sweet/artificial tasting. Like someone said...a cheap whey protein chocolate flavor. The flavor might have been OK if the beer was able to stand up to it, but this was as thin as water. Low ABV or not....the stuff still has to be balanced and this is not. Put this flavor in a chewy oatmeal stout and I might feel differently.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  5. redlegacy

redlegacy Aficionado (100) New York Mar 22, 2012

Tastes like choclate milk

6. Similar, but the Samuel Smith's is not as good in my opinion.

7. romwarrior

romwarrior Zealot (75) California Sep 14, 2010

I am not a big regular stout drinker (i.e. non-BA), but Samuel Smith's does it right for sure. I probably prefer the Oatmeal, but the Chocolate is excellent.

8. Fuck Rogues. MAking tasty beer while treating employees like crap sucks. My $ goes elsewhere.

9. Just had one of these last night. The chocolate flavor did taste pretty artificial to me, but I still enjoyed the beer. Not one of the best I've ever had, and I don't think I'd ever buy it (shared it with a friend), but if someone offered I'd go in for round 2.

10. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (435) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Had you asked me, prior to my first stout, what do you think a chocolate stout tastes like... Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout is EXACTLY what I would imagine.

This beer made me very happy.

11. You should try Choklat.

12. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (435) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I plan on it!

13. benbking

benbking Savant (295) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

Try a Kappy's.

14. As others have mentioned, this one is thin and smells great. I split one with a neighbor a few nights back and enjoyed it more when it was really cold. As it warmed up, I was catching a little twang on the backend. Still, a worthy beer.

15. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Finally tried this...first 2 sips were great then that weird chemical/bubblegum taste comes out. Doesn't ruin the beer but it takes away from it. Still smells great and is good.

16. Had this beer for the first time last evening. From the comments here, I was expecting an entirely artificial chocolate experience, but I encountered the opposite.

The key here is managing expectations. Knowing that it is only 5% ABV, you should not expect a full-bodied beer. The use of [real] organic cocoa extract instead of typical milk chocolate was a nice change from other chocolate beers mentioned here.

ufmj and Zhiguli like this.
  17. Angst

Angst Aficionado (225) California Nov 8, 2007

Hmmm...maybe I should try mixing it with their oatmeal stout. Chocolate Oatmeal Stout! :)

ufmj and Lerxst like this.
  18. Way better than Young's IMO. One of my new favorites. I didn't get any artificial tastes. Tasted like chocolate milk to me.

19. Bought one and threw it in the fridge yesterday, some of the Sam Smith stuff I like, others not so much.

20. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (425) Florida Jun 17, 2005

That's a good idea! I'm a big fan of their oatmeal stout, it was what got me into craft beer. But I agree with others who said this is like alcoholic yoohoo. I was kind of disappointed with this one due to the artificial chocolate flavor and very light body. But if mixed with SS Oatmeal it could work. Thanks for the idea.

21. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

Had a sample bottle, it had an appealing taste but wasnt what i would call a beer.. It reminded me of the chocolate wine ive seen floating around.. Would rather have an oatmeal stout with a good piece of chocolate mmmm...

22. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

First time last night. After dinner, free bottle I grabbed at a demo Friday and holy crap is what me and the lady of the manor kept saying! Really in love with this beer and will need further research. Of course the Oatmeal stout was the first non Guinness black beer I had years back. We thought this beer is fucking delicious. I even ended up drinking some of it while eating a ferrero rocher