1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

San Antonio in early May

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by kexp, Feb 27, 2012.

1. kexp

kexp Savant (265) North Carolina May 10, 2007

Hello Southwestern Forum people. Greetings from North Carolina.
    I will be in San Antonio for a conference in early May for several days. I am staying at the Hilton on the Riverwalk across from the convention center, and will not have a rental car. Are there and places nearby with a decent craft selection? Craft plus good food would be a bonus.
    Thanks in advance.
    -KEXP
  2. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

There is Blue Star brewery / restaurant, with ok beer. There is also The Friendly Spot which is always a good time.
  3. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

The Friendly Spot is your best bet, provided the weather is good (main bar area is outdoors). Good tex-mex food and a decent selection of TX craft beers, as well as other good craft beers. Luke also has a pretty good craft selection. Blue Star is okay, but not exactly a must-stop.
  4. kexp

Thank you, gents. I've got maps for The Friendly Spot and Luke's in my conference folder now. Best!
  5. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Luke does has a decent selection but I didn't care much for the food. I would go to La Frite over Luke any day, and La Frite is just a block or two away from The Friendly Spot. I did that combo last night and it was da bomb.
  6. jwall

jwall Aficionado (130) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Check out The Monterrey. Great food and great beer selection. In the King William District on St. Mary. Walkable, or trolley/cab.
    smithjl10 likes this.
  7. kexp

Is it safe to walk from the convention center to The Friendly Spot and/or The Monterrey (which looks incredible, BTW)?
  8. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (185) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

Yes, you're not walking through the greatest area, but not the worst either. If you walk down commerce to alamo into Southtown, you'll be in heavy foot/car traffic the entire way and i wouldnt anticipate any problem as you'll be in plain sight. there are shorter ways to get there, but less visible. If you plan to make this walk during work hours though, you'll be completely fine regardless of the way you choose.
  9. nate8767

Also, please go to Esquire Tavern. Best craft scene in the city (except for maybe Freetail), and for god's sake, try Live Oak Hefewiezen. The Esquire is the only place in SA that always has it on tap, and it's the #1 rated Hefe on BA for a reason. Not to mention they have incredible bison burgers too...
    texasclimber and smithjl10 like this.
  10. nate8767

Forgot to quote you on the above posts so that you'll get the alerts.
  11. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Yes, but I'd also look into public transit. I've lived here for five years and only recently bought a car. I used to swear by the VIA bus service. You can get anywhere in the city from downtown. There's even a bus (97 to the Rim) that goes all the way out to Freetail. The website to get maps and schedules is viainfo.net if you're interested.
  12. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (640) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Why don't you have it on tap at your place year round? ;)
    jl28r1 likes this.
  13. soultrain19

soultrain19 Savant (270) Texas Feb 28, 2008

That is a fine idea, sir.
  14. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Do they do growler fills?

Plus looks like (512) Pecan Porter is on draft. Thats one the OP should'nt miss IMO
  15. nate8767

No, because they have a liquor license too. Do you think the TBAC can even keep their own laws straight? Freetail has LOH on draft right now, $20 for growler fills (already gotten two - need about 20 more).
  16. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Cool. I need to get over there.
  17. kexp

The Esquire Tavern is now in the confernce folder!
    texasclimber, smithjl10 and jamescain like this.
  18. smithjl10

smithjl10 Aficionado (100) Texas Jun 25, 2010

The Monterrey is a must try if you want to get into some of the stuff that's bottled and not on tap in SA. Their bottle list is longer than their menu! Esquire and Friendly Spot are also GREAT suggestions...don't miss em. Also if you're into food trucks there's a new food truck park on S. Alamo called Alamo Street Eat Bar that has about 8-10 beers on draft (BMC regulars and a few TX locals) that would be worth trying if you have extra nights to fill.
    texasclimber likes this.