San Diego county breweries to see?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by monoc, Mar 14, 2012.

1. monoc

monoc Aspirant (40) Washington Jan 25, 2011

I just got down to Carlsbad, and I have a few days to see some breweries. I understand a ton of new places have opened recently, and I'm looking for advice on which ones to hit. I'm looking for extreme here, strange brews, imperial stouts, sours, etc. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Stone is a fun place to go to. They also have a bunch of great guest taps. It is also fairly close to where you are. Other places near by are Pizza Port Carlsbad, Iron Fist and Port/Lost Abbey, there is also Churchills (not a brewery but amazing beer on tap).

Other breweries semi-near by to check out:
    Alesmith
    Hess
    Green Flash
    Ballast Point

3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,430) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

Mother Earth and Aztec are in Vista.

4. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

ohh yeah I forgot about them.

San Diego has too many a lot of breweries it is getting hard to keep track.

5. SageO

SageO Savant (445) California Jul 13, 2010 Verified

Yup, those two posts pretty much cover most of the places you'll want to go.

If you're very lucky, Mother Earth and/or Urge might still have Big Mother on tap (IIIPA). I believe both were on their last two kegs by Sunday though, sooo not sure. It's excellent stuff though.

In general, the smaller breweries can be considered "rare" since they mostly don't bottle or bottle very few things - e.g. Aztec, Mother Earth, Pizza Port Carlsbad, Hess. The bottom three beers on Ballast Point's draft list are usually beers that are hard to get outside of SD.

My opinion is that Hess and Aztec tend to have the most varied styles (they stray away from the typical wheat + pale ale + IPA + brown ale lineup) and are the most willing to do the "big" beers.

6. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (345) California Aug 19, 2011 Verified

iron fist