1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

San Diego County breweries

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by sandiego67, Dec 22, 2012.

1. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

After Lee Chase left Stone went commercial/brand expansion and forgot they were about beer. Hasn't been the same since. Just flop after flop.

domtronzero likes this.
  2. Perhaps, but did you like the Lucky Basardt or did you think that was a flop?

3. MacNCheese

If I've had it, it wasn't memorable. After awhile you stop paying attention to average breweries.

4. Not a new beer but a new blend.

5. Nice opinion, thanks for sharing.

6. MacNCheese

You're e="CommanderOfAwesome, post: 777557, member: 691934"]Nice opinion, thanks for sharing.[/quote]
    You're welcome. Its what we're here for.

domtronzero likes this.
  7. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

You left out one of the more interesting places that brews beers and has a tasting room...

White Labs

dianimal likes this.
  8. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

No love for Ruination 10th Anny?

Regardless of Stone's beers though, going up there just isn't a ton of fun for some of us - it's a long drive for a decent portion of the county, is usually very crowded, and the food is divisive (as has already been discussed in the past). It's a beautiful facility and they've executed wonderfully on their vision for brewery/bar/restaurant...some of us just prefer a different vibe.

domtronzero likes this.
  9. As discussed in another thread, White Labs is probably only interesting to the homebrewer crowd looking to sample different yeasts.

They don't produce marketable beer that can be consumed outside of the facility.

If you are a homebrewer, I highly recommend it. If not, all of the beer samples are experimental and not necessarily good so I don't see what would be the draw.

10. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

I'm not a homebrewer, but I still like going there for the educational side, whatever flaws there may be. Granted, if someone needs to strictly prioritize, it's not my first suggestion.