1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

San Diego Craft Keg?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by ManaKarma, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I'll be looking to have one or two local beers available all weekend when some college friends visit in mid-April... any advice/experience/wisdom to share re: price/availability/deliciousness?

Alpine would be my number one option, tho doesn't look like promising...
  2. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

Green flash west coast ipa can't be too expensive nor difficult to find in SD.
  3. Coronado Brewing, Port/Lost Abbey, Stone... those are local SD.
  4. Not hard to find... but almost too easy to find - I guess I should have clarified. These are all buddies who lived in San Diego when Stone, Ballast Point, and Green Flash were new players to the field. They all live in and around San Fran so getting their hands on most of the common beers from here is easy. I'm thinking along the lines of something that isn't bottle or at least not widely distributed yet. (i.e. Alpine) Maybe Hess? Societe (pretty sure they wont sell kegs to regular folk... yet)? Etc...
  5. Ballast Point for sure. I think they offer Sculpin kegs although they would be expensive. My buddy had Black Marlin and Big Eye at his wedding and it was pretty badass.
    ManaKarma likes this.
  6. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

You almost definitely won't be able to get kegs of any of those.
  7. Sorta what I'm thinking... just thought maybe someone around here had a good experience dealing with one of these guys and giving plenty of advance notice
  8. oh ok then disregard my suggestions... I agee with Erik, Ballast point it is. You could get black market from Temecula as an option also. I still vouch for Coronado though. Iron fist or latitude 33 from Vista if you want to venture inland.
  9. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

AleSmith is a good option. Just email them ahead of time for availability.
    ehammond1, Eriktheipaman and 4kbrianb like this.
  10. Yeah not sure what rarities are lying around. Iron Fist could be cool but I feel (based off nothing) it could be pretty expensive. If you were my friend I would be more than pumped to have a good keg of anything hanging around when I came to visit.
  11. valid point... If i showed up at my buddies house and he had a keg or two just waiting our arrival I would be pretty amped.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  12. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

You have zero chance at anything Alpine unless you call Pat "Dad". They have zero extra capacity.

Your best bet is to simply call the breweries and ask what the have available and in what sized keg. For most beers you have a good shot at a 5 gal keg and if you call far enough in advance they may be able to work something out.

Ballast Point regularly has kegs of Sculpin for $99. Hess is too small, Societe? Why not, they're still pretty new and know who's what sorts of accounts they have to fill. Alesmith has kegs for sale, just look at the board. I also wouldn't expect to get 'hooked up' with "Rarez"...they're rare for a reason and if the general population had acess to them...they wouldn't be rare.
  13. Thanks for all the great input. I plan on calling around a bit, just hoping to be "guided" in the right direction. Not looking for anything "rare" per se... just something less common outside of San Diego. Sculpin is a fine idea and certainly always drinkable! I thought something along the lines of Societe or Hess IPA would be a different and unique angle, even if not "rare" in the proper sense. Will definitely check in with a few mentioned here...
  14. Societe guys are all totally cool. Tell them you want a keg and they will hook you up.
    ManaKarma likes this.
  15. stoked to give them a shot and my business... and while The Pupil is not hard for me to get my hands on, it will be a real treat for my visitors :)
  16. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

ballast point sculpin
    green flash palate wrecker or west coast ipa
    alpine would be my first choice but I don't think they will sell out of the brewery.

good luck. :)
  17. Schmaltzy

Schmaltzy Savant (275) California Oct 13, 2009

Societe didn't sell kegs to public, they have too many accounts to sell yo public.
    Go with alesmith...
  18. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I asked Societe - answer was not yet but hope to in the future.
    ManaKarma likes this.
  19. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

As said above, Sculpin is the best bet. Get to Ballast Point and try the Sculpin on tap. If it is frosh you can get a 5 gallon keg for $99. It isn't a keg of Nelson, but to have it on tap is sweet. If that doesn't float it, ask for the 5 gallon keg of Victory at Sea and your friends will carry you off on their shoulders.
    afrokaze likes this.
  20. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

...with much revelery and rejoicing. A god among mortals you'll be!
  21. We all love Sculpin (I may even be a bit impartial to Big Eye), so if that's the worst I can do I doubt there will be any problems ---- was hoping to come up with something along those lines.... but unattainable in NorCal
  22. I saw that Victory at Sea keg listed when I was at Ballast Point last week, and was considering putting a kegerator in my garage specifically for it. Less than half the price/volume of a 22 oz. bottle - winning!
  23. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I'll be facing this same situation later this year for my wedding in SD. I'd pay double for a keg of Societe or Alpine, so hopefully the guys at the brewery are interested in getting a few extra bucks. Or HJs.

At the very least, Alesmith and Ballast Point aren't too bad for backups...
    ManaKarma likes this.
  24. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

25. For something as special as a wedding, this may be a good route...

From www.HessBrewing.com:

"Having a party? Celebrating? Well, you'll need beer, right? How awesome would it be to serve your guests a unique beer specially brewed just for you and your occasion? Contact us about providing some of the best hand crafted beer in the country. If you give us six weeks notice, we can brew-to-order your own special batch. Call or email us for details!"

Can't wait for your wedding!
  26. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Heard back from Doug at Societe - they still won't sell kegs to consumers. Only to restaurants/bars.

Bummer :(.
  27. Check with Mother Earth in Vista.. They have some pretty good stuff.