1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

San Diego help.

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by PatrickJamesMulcahy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I am having my buddy that lives in San Diego send me beer here in Minnesota. I'm looking for any suggestions, as he isn't too familiar with the beer scene down there. He's going to send me some Firestone Walker Wookie Jack, AleSmith Speedway, some Russian River goodies. Anything helps. Thanks!

2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Alpine Nelson and Duet

PatrickJamesMulcahy likes this.
  3. Depends on how good of a buddy you got out here... Is he trying to hit up a bottle shop and pick up an eclectic assortment of CA beer? Or you hoping he'll drive to various breweries to pick up their goodies? If there's any chance he'll drive to Alpine, then have him get you any of whatever IPA is available (Nelson, Duet, Pure Hoppiness, Exponential?). If he's not familiar with the beer scene he wont find anything hoppy from Russian River without doing some homework (not that there's anything wrong with their other stuff). I enjoy most creations from Port/Lost Abbey, as well as some Sculpin from Ballast Point if that doesn't make it out your way.

4. Don't waste your time with Wookie Jack unless you really want to try it; you can find that in just about every supermarket in San Diego, much less the bottle shops.

PatrickJamesMulcahy likes this.
  5. grrrah

grrrah Savant (320) California Sep 21, 2009

If he's willing to drive and ship growlers, then in addition to Alpine, have him swing by Hess and Rough Draft.

Ballast Point (Sculpin) and Port/Lost Abbey if you don't get those at home.

6. I assume that this first round he'll only make it to a few bottle shops. He told me that he is going to stop by Bottlecraft and another place I can't remember the name of right now. He's one of my really good friends from back home, and I'm going to be sending him bottles for his work tasting every month, so he'll be sending stuff more than once. Thanks for the help so far!

7. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

You misspelled "Societe"...common mistake, typos happen to the best of us.

Edit: The initial growler cost sucks, but if you're going to the expense of shipping growlers, at least do it with beer that's worth shipping.