1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

San Diego in a day

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by bkrefetz, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bkrefetz

bkrefetz Aficionado (175) New York Apr 19, 2008

I will be in San Diego one night, half a day, and then to the airport. This will be a thursday night and friday morning/afternoon. Which beer bars are must see and what restaurants must I go to?

Staying at the W, no car.

2. Please do a search. There is literally a thread on this topic every week.

3. bkrefetz

bkrefetz Aficionado (175) New York Apr 19, 2008

Would appreciate any input relevant to my situation, doing my own research as well.

4. gshak

gshak Advocate (500) Texas Feb 20, 2011

There's way too much to do in San Diego for beer-related activities in one day as I found out the hard way. What I think might help, is to visit the breweries and try their samplers. Easier on the wallet, easier on your liver. Places to visit are the usual culprits - Ballast Point, Alesmith, Alpine, Societe, Green Flash...possibly Karl Strauss and Mission if you can make it. There are a ton of beer/food joints that you could hit up for lunch/dinner/beer - Toronado, Tiger Tiger etc etc. Buying bottles might help if you plan on shipping them back home. For bottles, I recommend - Best Damn Beer Shop, Plaza Wine & Spirits, KnB Wine Cellars and of course the BevMo and Whole Food outlets close by....Hope this helps and hang loose!

5. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

If you're on foot, you're stuck in the Asslamp.
    Neighborhood will be the closest beery bar. Good food.
    Monkey Paw will be the closest Brewpub. There's a Karl Straus down there somewhere, but fuck that.

Best Damn Beer shop has bottles, so does BottleCraft, and you can open and enjoy there.

Other places may have beer, like Craft & Commerce.

A short cab ride you have 2 options:

Ocean Beach for Pizza Port brewpub (with guest taps), Newport Pizza (alehouse), Olive Tree - bottleshop & tasting room, there's a NZ theme'd joint down there and it's much more walkable. OB Noodlehouse as well for beer and noodles.

-or-

30th St and hit Toronado up, Ritual, Live Wire etc...all beer bars.

6. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (425) California May 19, 2006

You're going to run into issues with places being open on Friday morning - most spots aren't open before 10 at the earliest, and many not till noon.

Otherwise, LegalBrew87 is absolutely correct. You're going to get a lot better response if you show that you've done some legwork ahead of time and aren't just asking for others to plan your itinerary for you - which is what this comes off as.

7. MacNCheese

Hanger 24 is also an excellent choice.

8. If you are downtown without a car, then it would be best to focus one what is within walking distance or what can be reached easily by public transportation. There is a Karl Strauss right by your hotel. Normally people would not recommend that, but it is right there. Downtown Johnny Brown's (craft beer bar) is not too far. The Beer Company (brewpub) doesn't get much love here, it seems, but I think it is worth a stop and it is walkable. If you want to pick up bottles, Krisp / Best Damn Beer Shop is right by the Beer Company. Bottlecraft (bottles plus on-premise consumption if you like) is not too far from the W, up in Little Italy.

Monkey Paw and Mission (breweries/brewpubs) and Neighborhood (restaurant with nice beer list) aren't too far, but you'll probably need public transit (bus or trolley). You also are a pretty short bus ride from the 30th Street beer corridor - Hamilton's (South Park) and Toronado (North Park), plus a number of other beer related places.

9. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

To add to this, there is Downtown Johnny Brown's near the gas lamp area. And the NZ place in OB is Raglan Public House

10. Hitchhike to Alpine?

11. This is nowhere near San Diego

Retsinis likes this.
  12. MacNCheese's shtick is to make helpful suggestions like that. I'm surprised he didn't drag out the Wet-n-Reckless suggestions, too.

13. MacNCheese

No, I tell people that are too lazy to do research or read the bajillion "I'm in downtown SD, where do I go" threads that the 7-11's have all the Yellow Bus and BA'd God's Pee available.

I posted a helpful reply first, but seriously the fact the Bro's don't sticky a SD thread is retarded. They must make money off new threads somehow.