1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

San Diego visit

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Cynic-ale, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Cynic-ale

Cynic-ale Champion (750) Ohio Feb 21, 2013

I will be in San Diego on April 8 and 9, I would greatly appreciate recommendations for bars to visit. I'm a hug fan of Green Flash, Ballast Point, Alesmith, and Stone. Really looking forward to this trip. You guys have an incredible selection of breweries.

Also, I am glad to bring some beers with me. If there are beers that don't distribute to SoCal that I can bring for trade, let me know. I can get all the MI beers and in Ohio have Elevator, Columbus brewing, Fat Heads, Rust Belt, Rockmill, Brew Kettle, Thirsty Dog, Great Lakes, and Buckeye to name a few. Space is limited.

2. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

Make sure you check hours - some of those breweries are closed Mondays. I'd highly recommend Societe if you can work it in (and they're open every day). It's SD's best little not-so-secret secret.

3. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

first check the search function as this a very common question in the Pacific forum so there is already a wealth of knowledge out there. also in my profile I have a link to a map with the vast majority of beer place in SD

pinkgrenade likes this.
  4. Alesmith and Green Flash are definitely closed Mondays. Ballast Point and Stone will be open. Tuesday is a good day to hit Alesmith - low traffic and (usually) a new cask has been tapped. Tuesday is cask day at Green Flash too, IIRC. Also, you should hit Societe on Monday.

And Nanobrew is the sh&t.

5. Cynic-ale

Thank you. I appreciate the responses.

Also, thanks for pointing out your map, nanobrew. That is awesome!

6. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

Just go to alpine

dcgunman and BrianTheBrewer30 like this.
  7. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

If you want to sample a lot of beers, (relatively) then as you mentioned a bar is a better bet than trying to hit multiple individual breweries. Where are you staying? There's likely a spot with a good tap list nearby.

8. Cynic-ale

Staying at the Bay Tower at Sheraton on Harbor Island Drive. It is a business trip and I will not have much time and want to do some sampling, and hopefully pick up some bombers.

9. 395er

Bottlecraft on India Street in Little Italy is a reasonable cab ride and a decent bottle shop, and you can purchase and consume on premises.

10. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

If you need local and close I'd suggest Slater's 50/50...over 100 taps. If you want a quick cab ride, head over to Ocean Beach and go to Pizza Port then (or before) also visit Olive Tree for bottles to go. Between the 3 you'd be set. Bottlecraft isn't a bad idea either.

11. 395er

@ MNC, I can't recall the name, but didn't some smaller, nautical themed place open up somewhere along the water? Maybe near Pt Loma Seafood, or on a pier, or farther towards downtown? It looked cool, but I never got to check it out. Sound familiar at all?

12. MiScusi

MiScusi Advocate (600) California Feb 12, 2005

Fathom Bistro

carnevoodoo likes this.
  13. check out Lost Abbey - 5 mins from Stone

14. MacNCheese

Yes it's Fathom, out on Shelter Island, no sinage but it's the only pier as you go west on the island, kinda hard to miss but the size of a shoebox. There are 21 seats inside and it would be elbows-to-assholes if they were all taken. 15 taps though, good stuff! Outside seating as well and a small menu.

15. 395er

Thanks. I recall the name now. Maybe the OP wants to hit it up.

16. Cynic-ale

You all are awesome! Thank you!

17. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

So where are you going to go?

18. Cynic-ale

Bottlecraft and Fathom seem like obligatory visits. I am not sure which will be on Sun and which will be on Monday.

Any locals out early in the week? 395er? Patrick?

19. 395er

I'm outta town this weekend and next week. But post up your experience here for sure.

20. AndrewSmith

AndrewSmith Savant (350) California Jan 27, 2013

I just made the trip recently, Alpine is a can't miss. Don't go to Stone Friday or Saturday night, absolute shit show. AleSmith was great too.

21. MacNCheese

If you have time to hit 1 brewery, I highly recomend Pizza Port OB. They have guest taps as well and there are other craft beer bars right in the area. Fathom is cool, but so tiny.

Sebowski and 395er like this.
  22. I agree with this.

23. Fathom is not open on Monday.

24. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

Go to Fathom on Sunday,awesome view and beer,the explodo dog is the shit. Slaters 50/50 sucks,100 taps=85 oxidized beers. Bottlecraft or Krisp for bottles. Neighborhood,Monkey Paw,Toronado,Blind Lady, for beer. Alesmith,Societte,Green Flash,Ballast for breweries. GO TO Carnitas Snack Shack and have the three pork sandwich and grab a beer on their patio. You will not be disappointed. Good Luck. Drink Local.

25. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I'm not a local. I just wish I was.

26. Cynic-ale

You guys are killing me. Just booked another night for my trip.

395er likes this.
  27. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Couldn't agree with you more. Not to mention their burgers are seriously overhyped.

28. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

I randomly stumbled into the Regal Beagle few weeks back and it had some great beers on!

29. Cynic-ale

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started at Fathom. Terrific recommendation. Tried the Pupil, Apprentice, and the Butcher. Loved the Apprentice and the Butcher, which is easily a top three Stout for me (and this week I've had KBS and Pt5). The Pupil is solid.

Then I went to Bottlecraft and scored a number of great beers. Bottom photo are some of the beers I snagged from Bottlecraft. Also, tried Bottleggers Knucklesandwich- an impressive IPA!

Many thanks for the recommendations!

Hope to try a few others tomorrow!

30. Cynic-ale

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

[​IMG]
    Awesome visit and sampling at Bottlecraft.

[​IMG]
    Nice time at Toronado. Had Persevernace, Row 2 Hill 56, and Alpine's McIhenney's Irish Red.

[​IMG]