1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

San Fran (union square)

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by howopeeps, Mar 2, 2013.

1. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

Will be staying in that area next week. Looking for some good restaurants, bars with good local beers and any beer stores.

2. At the risk of sounding like a forum jerk, there have been a number of threads by people staying around Union Square. A good one: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/union-square-san-francisco-bars-eateries.60111/

The tl;dr is City Beer Store has 15 taps and the best bottle selection in San Francisco. (Don't walk down 6th street) If you don't have time to get to City Beer for bottles, Whole Foods on 4th does a good job.

Union Square is also next to BART. On BART you can get easily to Monk's Kettle, Abbot's Cellar, Zeitgeist, Rosamunde Mission, etc.

3. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

Amsterdam Cafe is within walking distance

4. Not that I'd recommend someone from out of town walk there from Union Square.

5. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

We did it the past 3 years for SFBW when I was in town... that hood ain't too bad.

6. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I'd swear you (and others) are trying to scare people away from SF. Unless you're deep in the 'Loin or a few other specific spots, it's not a dangerous city in any way. I've only seen one true violent incident in all my time there. Mostly just homeless people/crazies, but that's the same in every city. To the OP: if you're worried about getting to City Beer, walk down Market, take a left onto 8th and then a left onto Folsom. Can't miss it, have fun!

7. I personally know no fewer than six people who have been mugged in that area. If OP is traveling with a group of people then yeah, it's not a big deal, but I'm not going to tell someone visiting from elsewhere that it's a good idea to walk through that part of town.

EDIT: especially since the 38 bus line stops both at Union Square and right in front of Amsterdam.