1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

San Francisco March 23rd - 26th

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Ruddick, Feb 27, 2013.

1. I making a trip out to San Fran from Philly and was wondering if there are any special beer events, bottle releases, beer dinners, or anything else worth checking out. I would also love to know about recommendations for breweries, restaurants, and bottle shops (I would love to score the 2012 Eclipse Coffee and GHS while I am out that way).

So far the only plans I have are to drive up to Russian River on Sunday March 24th.

Thanks,
    Jared
  2. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Visit City Beer Store. Only variants to my knowledge you might find are:

FiftyFifty Eclipse American Corn Whisky 22oz. Bottle 9.5 $28.99
    FiftyFifty Eclipse Burnheim Wheat Blend 22oz. Bottle 9.5 $29.99
    FiftyFifty Eclipse Elijah Craig 12 year 22oz. Bottle 9.5 $26.99
    FiftyFifty Eclipse Evan Williams 22oz. Bottle 10.0 $28.99
    FiftyFifty Eclipse Old Fitzgerald 22oz. Bottle 10.0 $28.99
    FiftyFifty Eclipse Rittenhouse Rye 22oz. Bottle 9.5 $28.99
    FiftyFifty Imperial Eclipse Elijah Craig 12 Year 22oz. Bottle 9.5 $26.99
  3. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (375) California May 19, 2006

Coffee was for Eclipse Release Party attendees only, and GHS was released at a special event at Gourmet Haus Staudt - a beer bar in Redwood City (which, as far as I know, was only sold that night). So you're going to be hard pressed to find them at a store. Could always throw up a IP FT for them though.
  4. True, thanks rryanc

Also was planning on checking out City Beer Store.
  5. BART--->Oakland 12th Street City Center stop----> Beer Revolution and The Trappist
    Hopsiam14 likes this.
  6. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I went to GHS last week and they still had some bottles listed for sale, can't hurt to ask and you might as well have a beer or two and a pretzel while you're there...
  7. largadeer

largadeer Advocate (720) California Sep 24, 2006

City Beer isn't carrying any 2012 Eclipse, to my knowledge. It should be available at other spots in the city, though.

GHS Eclipse should be available for on-site consumption, only at GHS of course. Don't think it's available to go anymore, but I could be mistaken.
    PaulStoneAnchor and KevSal like this.
  8. I'm assuming if you are going RR you have a car, correct?

Breweries-RR, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, Drakes (San Leandro).
    Restaurants-Depends on what you want to spend but...Magnolia (also a brewery), Bar Crudo, The Alembic, Starbelly, NOPA.
    Bottle Shops-City Beer, Healthy Spirits, Ales Unlimited, Whole Foods.

Lot's more that I'm leaving out/forgetting.
  9. Yeah, City beer no longer catrries 50/50 products
  10. Called GHS and they said they will hopefully have some. Anything else to see in Red Wood City?
  11. If youll be near redwood city, then go to ( see below ). Beer shop thats one of the best.

Cask n' Flask.

14520 Camden Ave
    San Jose, CA 95124
    (408) 371-0403

Hours:
    Mon-Thu, Sun 9 am - 10 pm
    Fri-Sat 9 am - 11:30 pm
  12. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Because 50/50 switched distributors to a new one that isn't owned by City Beer Store's parents. Craig resents it when nepotism isn't involved in his beer purchasing. It's such a damn shame that they have to compete in a non-monopoly market. How will they survive?!?!

Jug Shop, Healthy Spirits, Ales Unlimited should have 50/50 beers. Plumpjack and K&L may still have some.

I'd visit Harry's Hofbrau, Ale Arsenal (San Carlos, just about 1.5 miles up El Camino Real), Whole Foods Redwood City.
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  13. largadeer

largadeer Advocate (720) California Sep 24, 2006

It's actually a pretty good area for beer, and somewhat under the radar. Between GHS, Ale Arsenal and Harry's Hofbrau right now you'll find (on tap) stuff like Enjoy By, Alesmith IPA, Imperial Biscotti Break, Sour in the Rye, White Knuckle, Seizon Bretta, Tap It APA, etc - not bad for a county that was pretty much useless for beer a couple years ago.
    KevSal and HopHead84 like this.
  14. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (385) Texas Jul 26, 2012

Glad I found this list. I will be in San Francisco from Texas the same weekend. Staying in SOMA down the street from City Beer. Are Anchor and 21st Amendment worth the time because they are so close? Thanks.
  15. If you don't have a reservation for Anchor already you're probably SOL. 21A usually has something fun on tap, though it can be hit or miss. Speakeasy now has a tap room and Southern Pacific is fairly new. Last 2 are quick cab rides.
  16. I'll be in town tonight. Anyone wanna meet for a beer at toronado around 8:30 or 9? BM me...
  17. Definitely catch the Lagunitas tour of you're able to on your way up to Russian River. Lagunitas is like maybe twenty minutes south of RR and easily the most enjoyable brewery tour I've been on so far.
  18. Agreed about Lagunitas. Go there instead if pressed for time--you're outdoors, live music, decent food, great weather. Motel 6 next door too if you get too hammed.

Jug Shop and Ales Unlimited are only ones I know of in the city that have 50/50. Healthy Spirits might. If you can only hit just one go with Ales Unlimited--best selection and Steve's the man. CBS has stuff on tap though.

@Jared--next time schedule your trip for 2nd week of Feb if you can :)
  19. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

Healthy Spirits carries Eclipse beers. 50/50 actually made a beer for them a few months back. It was pretty decent, but I prefer Eclipse variants.
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  20. chcfan

You won't be too far from Cellarmaker if you're in SOMA. I haven't been in probably a few months, but the last time I went they had some good stuff.
  21. UtisTheLaw

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I really enjoyed my trip last year.
  22. chcfan

ZOMBIE THREAD
    tx_beer_man likes this.
  23. mattdbh

mattdbh Savant (275) California Feb 21, 2009

You need to make a reservation with Anchor 6 months in advance for the tour/tasting.
  24. UtisTheLaw

Again, thanks for the information, but I took the trip in March of 2013.