1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sandy Hook Elementary LIF

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by cfh64, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

2. Done, such an awesome thing, Brad. Just FYI for anyone considering....I gave to http://www.giveforward.com/newtownstrongnewtownproud. The main reason I picked this was because of the bracelets. I found this to be a great way for my own kids (10 and 12) to be able to support the families without access to a credit card, so any of you with kids, something to consider....just my .02.
  3. fiedler84

fiedler84 Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 23, 2011

Thanks for setting this up..In, and emailed.
  4. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

Just did the same thing. As a parent of a 6yo boy and 2yo girl i cannot imagine what these families are going through. A financial contribution is the least i can do. The morning of the shooting my son's school had their practice emergency drill for events like this one. Pretty sobering for everyone to say the least. Thanks for doing this Brad, much appreciated!
  5. This is an amazing idea and seeing the responses to this thread makes me feel happy to be a part of the BA community. Donation made and email sent.
  6. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

UPDATE and ALERT!!!!!
    Thanks to everyone for your donations, you guys are awesome. I think the this thread and the final results speak volumes of how generous and thoughtful everyone on this site is. I'm currently at work and will be going out of town this weekend so I apologize in advance for any delays. When I get time, I will try to post updates of donations. For example, from this morning we have had a total of 11 donations for a total of $360! When its all over, I will break it down even further.

Now for even more great news!

8th place- will receive a "thank you" box from another anonymous and generous BA consisting of a few FFF and GI beers! Thanks buddy :)

9th place- will receive a box from one of fav BA's (we have quite trading and LIF history together) Dave Hack. Dave will be sending one HF Birth of Tragedy and one HF Twilight of the Idols!

Everyone who has donated beer has told me I could do what I want with it. I have recommended "thanking" as many people as we can with different boxes instead of just increasing the size of one particular box since most people didn't/shouldn't contribute to these charities for the beer but rather the cause which I firmly believe everyone has :)

Thanks again to all of you, lets keep up the great generosity that is so unique to this community!
  7. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (330) New York Mar 22, 2008

I will add a box of NY/CT goodness to this. Please let me know what I can do to help out.

The box will include but not limited to:
    CL Nor Easter batch 5
    CL Golden Delicious
    NEBC Stout Trooper
    NEBC Sea Hag
    Sloop brewing line up of bottles
    And more to be added in....
  8. Damn, after seeing all the people adding boxes to this, I have to donate more now, so I don't feel like a schlub.
  9. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (330) New York Mar 22, 2008

Just wanted to add in that this happened less than 40 minutes from my house. I know people that were personally invoved/connected to/impacted by this horrific event. I have felt helpless in ways to help out. It may not be much but this makes me feel that in some way I am assisting the people who have had their lives shattered. A preemptive thank you to everyone that makes a donation to this cause and a huge thank you and internet hug to cfh64 for giving me a way to provide sme sort of assistence to the ones in need.
  10. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Penguin - I'd be happy to throw in a bottle to your box as well if that's ok with you. Cheers to you cfh64 for creating this LIF. Really incredible to see the amount of generosity/involvement from the BA Community for such a terrible & tragic event. I'll be contributing later tonight after I look into the different charities.
  11. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Donation sent. This is a great thing you are doing. This might be our greatest national tragedy outside of 9/11 and something that hits home for all of us whether or not you have your own kids. I cant imagine what those families are going through.
  12. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

I just donated to the family fund for $10 I wish I could donate more, great idea about this LIF
  13. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (175) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Just spent $700 on a crown, so i cant afford anything this week...but once i get paid next week i will for sure donate.
  14. Tkolar

Tkolar Aficionado (115) New Jersey Oct 23, 2011

Donated and emailed it to you. This a great thing you guys are doing.
  15. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I'm in.

So much generosity. I can't believe this is technically in the trading forum. I hope some of this good-will leaks out to the others.
  16. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

17. deadbody

deadbody Savant (335) Minnesota May 10, 2010

As I now see that the MN folks have responded in multiple ways to Penguin3200 (myself included before I saw the number of responses) I think there are enough of us to put together another box. I'll donate a couple bottles, but I've never shipped beer before so I'd like to have someone else ship it.
  18. I can't believe the amount of generosity that I am reading about here! It makes me so happy and puts so much of my faith back in humanity. All of you, cfh64 and donators should be commended for what you are doing.
  19. This happened 10 minutes from my home. Although I'm in my mid 20's and don't have any kids, my mom is a teacher. I grew up down the street from one of the teachers who was killed; her funeral service was held today in the church I used to walk by every day as a kid.

I'm not normally a sentimental guy, but this event really hit me hard. Thank you to everyone who donated, and thank you cfh64 for starting this.
  20. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Can't do it for it from work, but will do donate when I get home. Being a father of 2 myself I couldn't even imgaine what these families are going thru. Just thinking of it turns my stomach.
  21. cfh64

22. cfh64

Thank all of you so much. Again, I can't put into words how generous all of you have been. It gives me goose bumps, I never thought I would get this kind of response and its only the 2nd day. A quick update, as of today $990 has been raised for the various charities listed. I will break it all down, how much went to each charity when the LIF is over.

There have been so many donations for beer that its borderline overwhelming. I will post more about this as soon as I figure it out. I will say this for now...

Many of you know GrumpyOldTroll, he has been generous enough to include a 2012 BA Dark Lord De Muerte to the main thank you box! GrumpyOldTroll, thanks again :)

Thanks to all of you! Will update later
  23. Great cause. I get teary eyed every time I think about it, especially with a young daughter. Donated*
  24. Work had some kind of block on it. It works from home.
  25. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Awesome idea. Just donated and emailed you a screencapture of the email receipt they sent me. Thanks for doing this, and for everyone who is so generously contributing.
  26. Jdiddy

Jdiddy Savant (355) Rhode Island Apr 5, 2002

Count me in for a box from RI. My friends and I have some nice cellars so I will talk to them and w'll figure out a nice box from Little Rhody. I will reach out to all of them tonight. Contents to be confirmed over the next few days.
  27. Donated. As an elementary school teacher myself, I can only imagine the pain of the families and of the survivors. Imagining that happening at my school is painful enough.

Thanks for running this and for the BAs who are chipping in! I hope many people consider contributing!
  28. You are all awesome. Donated $60 and getting my fiance to match another $60. Not much but any little bit helps.
  29. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

This thread makes me feel warmer than that time I took that BT solo to the dome.
  30. There's times I want to hang out with you based on your comments. Then there are times I think to myself I need to stay away. Haven't decided which one this comment is leaning.
  31. I'm always so impressed how great a community we have here! My cousin was one of the officers who walked the 'unharmed' children out of the school last Friday. Such a sad story. I can't imagine how the families who lost loved ones are dealing with such tragedy this time of year.

Thanks, Brad, and all the other BA's who donated additional boxes. Happily made a donation.
  32. cfh64

Quick update. I'll be pretty busy for the next 4-5 days as I'm sure many of you will be so please continue to bare with me. In about the past 24 hours the have been a total of 49 donations to one of the charities listed for a total of $2,010. I'm shocked, I was hoping for at least a $1,000 and would be extremely happy with $1,500. Thanks to everyone.

It's no secret that BA is a very generous community and it continues to show through the donations, well wishes, etc to help others in a time of need. Most of you have expressed how proud you are to be a part of this awesome "family" of people we have here and I couldn't agree more.

Onto the thank you boxes. I'm working on this. This is my biggest hurdle, if all of you weren't so damn generous!
  33. I hope u can continue donations till after the holidays.
  34. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Don't want to speak too much for Brad but I think it is open until 1/10.
  35. cfh64

ALERT!!!!

I know this is an inconvenient place to post this but it has been brought to my attention that the original link I posted for Noahs Ark of Hope Fund now takes you directly to Evenbrites (organizer for Noahs Hope of Ark) website. I have emialed Eventbrite and am awaiting on an answer. I do know on the original link there was mention of working on a new website but why they didn't keep the original link I don't know. This link will take you the new website which is also organized by Eventbrite. I'll post anything when and if I hear back from Eventbrite. I apologize for the inconvenience.

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5084870986/efblike#
  36. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Yeah I ended up just searching for the fund when I was directed to the homepage. Thanks for reposting a new link though!
  37. bstyle

bstyle Advocate (705) Indiana Apr 27, 2006

This is a huge show of class and just being a solid human being, well done Sir.

I'm in!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.