1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sandy Hook Elementary LIF

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by cfh64, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (665) Texas Aug 16, 2005

2. I will be making a donation when I get home this weekend, awesome LIF! And a great show of generosity by all!

3. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

Donation made.

Thanks to cfh64 for his generosity and to all the other BA members who have stepped forth to ensure that more than two donors will be rewarded for their charity.

4. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Just bumping the list of boxes going out onto the new page, maybe will stir up some more donations.

5. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Donation made. Cheers to cfh64 for organizing this and to everyone who has donated. I know my small donation cannot ease the pain these families are suffering this holiday season, but I'm happy to do anything that I can to try to help.

6. Coldsnack

Coldsnack Advocate (510) Florida Oct 29, 2012

I made a donation last week. Thanks to cfh64 for putting this together. I wanted to share this in hopes that it may inspire others to participate. I was enjoying Christmas dinner with my family including my three kids under the age of 5. Someone knocked on the door and it was a kid from the neighborhood that I have never seen before. He was around 10 or 11 and was with his mom. He was doing "26 random acts of kindness" in honor of the Sandy Hook victims. He had a tin of homemade cookies he gave us with a picture of one of the children on it. I had to leave the room because I was so touched and didn't want to break down in front of my family. Faith in humanity restored!!
    [​IMG]

7. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

I just spent a few days playing with my two nephews and this thread hit me especially hard... Donation made.

8. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (245) Texas Aug 28, 2010

Brad is such a good guy as a friend I cant win a box because he doesnt want the appearance of anything fishy happening. Now that is a stand up guy.

9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Brad - send me a PM with whomever makes 100th donation. May have to wait for warmer temps but I have something for them......if you are already over 100, send me info for who is 114th. Let's get going people, make Brad proud!

10. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (340) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

donation made such a great idea.

11. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (760) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Posts like this really get my jimmies rustling. Especially from a standout BA like you... #100 is going to be a lucky BA!

12. Seeing this feed really makes me happy. Pretty cool how this BA community supports those in need. Donation and BM sent.

13. Cuzco

Cuzco Savant (340) New York Mar 22, 2008

This is the greatest LIF in the history of BA IMO so I will up the ante on this one. I am going to send a bottle of Bourbon County Coffee Stout 2011 to the 150th donor.

14. robbrandes

robbrandes Aficionado (245) Oregon Nov 30, 2010

absolutely incredible. this community continues to outdo itself every month with something. BM sent.

15. cfh64

Sorry for the delay everyone. I hosted a "tasting" with some other great BA's last night so I had some catching up to do today. I couldn't be more proud, shocked, excited, and humbled by this community as a whole. As I've already mentioned, after receiving almost 50 donations to the charities on the first day of the LIF (which blew my mind) I revised my goal to 100 total donations. We're almost there! Here's some interesting facts and tid bits...

1.) 89 people have donated
    2.) $4,180 have been donated!
    3.) $300 has been the largest single donation
    4.) An anonymous BA has offered to match the the donation of the 1st person drawn

I have also confirmed with fellow BA Mattisloco that he will tape the drawing and post it on YouTube. Thanks Matt! I hate being on camera (maybe I'll just have my hands or something) and it still can't validate anything but maybe taping will help lend some credibility and be more fun for everyone to watch.

Again, thanks to each and all of you. Incredible.

16. MordorMongo

Lucky #100, who's it going to be?

17. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (295) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

I hope nobody is waiting to donate to be #100. I just emailed my donation confirmation. Great idea on this and hope we get many more people to donate.

18. MordorMongo

True, don't wait fuckers.....I may change my mind and make it #92 or something random.;)

19. Donation made and bm sent.

20. Thanks for putting that organization as an option at the top of the page Brad. And thanks for thinking of this! Donation made and email sent.

21. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Donated earlier. Thanks to cfh64 for putting this whole thing together and thanks to everyone that has donated boxes. Amazing that we've hit almost $5k - especially with less than 100 people!

22. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

Donation mad, BM sent. Thanks!

23. greggers

greggers Disciple (50) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

Have been viewing BA forums for a while now and haven't spoken up much for fear of being called a "newb." Really am impressed how awesome the beer community is though and this confirms my thoughts and diminishes my fears. Huge props to cfh64 for putting this together and everyone involved. Just donated and BM sent (after a bit of newb errors posting the pic). Thanks again and a happy new year to all!

24. BCross

BCross Savant (285) Washington Nov 20, 2011

Donation made and email sent to Brad.

25. Compton25

Compton25 Savant (335) Texas Jan 25, 2011

Donation made, confirmation email sent. Thanks again for putting this together!

26. MordorMongo

Was informed by Brad we have a winner for my sort of secret 100th donation LIF :

http://beeradvocate.com/community/members/beer30jax.682630/

So beer30jax, congratulations! Send me your info when you have time, and either fill in some wants or give me an idea of styles you like, brewery you are dying to try, etc. and I will get a custom box out to you as soon as weather allows.....with current state of things that may be March, hahahaha, but will be done when safely can be. Thanks for your donation!

As for the rest of you, you never know when myself or some other BA will decide to pick another random donator to be generous to....so donate away!

27. cfh64

Awesome gesture Scott, thanks for doing that :). Congrats to beer30jax and more importantly thanks to all of you for helping us get to 100!

28. beer30jax

beer30jax Aficionado (130) Florida Jun 27, 2012

Well this is an awesomely pleasant addition to already feeling good about sending some money to a great cause. You guys are amazing with your generosity and positive beer karma. I'll shoot you a message in a bit. Many Many Thanks!

29. robbrandes

As if he doesn't have enough to do with packing and what not - Brad, beermail me with the 7th caller (old school radio!). 7th donation from 'now' gets an oregon LIF - 2012 abyss, 2012 dissident, some other goodies.

30. cfh64

Lol, will do. Another generous offer from another generous BA. I love how you guys are masters of getting around the "rules" to benefit others. Its acts like this that make BA notorious for generosity.

31. MordorMongo

If not the BEST LIF ever, this should go down as the most generous for sure. I know Brad is stoked about it (and maybe a bit overwhelmed!), but as runner up for BA of the year 2012 (;)), I want to sincerely thank everyone that has donated thus far and will donate still. I know there is some beer on the line but still the generosity is mind-blowing. I am proud to be a member of this community.

32. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

Sure would be awesome to hit 5k. How far away are we? I will be attending a UFC/Tasting event tonight and plan to promote this Lif to the group in case they don't already know of it. We gotta be close right?

33. cfh64

I'm at work so I don't currently have all of the numbers/donations on hand but yes we are close. I think it's safe to assume we're in the $4,500 range easily if not closer to $5,000. I'll update tomorrow.

34. BlueOkie

BlueOkie Aficionado (155) Oklahoma Jun 19, 2008

Brad, Another candidate organization might be this:

http://www.donorschoose.org/newtown

Understandably, much of the focus has been on the lost children. Six teachers and staff were also killed, and without their actions the toll among the children might have been much worse. So I liked the idea of an effort aimed specifically at the needs of the teachers and students going forward.

This is an astounding effort by the BA community. Cheers all around!

35. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I think 6k is an easily attainable goal with almost 2 weeks left to give. Whomevers donation puts us over the 6k threshold will get a nice box from me. C'mon everyone we can do this!

36. I'm in. Amazing idea. Nice work, BAs. If this thing blows up again and there is room for more boxes, I'd send a 12-shipper out full of Oklahoma goodies for the drawing.

37. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Ran into some unexpected funds over the Holiday. Donation and BM inbound.

38. Donation and BM on the way. Let's keep the momentum up till the last day! Glad to be able to join in on this.

39. Donation made and BM on the way. Keep spreading the word people!!

40. robbrandes

congrats to jroberge1981 - brad tells me you're the 7th caller. BM me your info and i'll get a box coming your way!

forget the $5K or even $6K, we've got time, let's blow this thing out to 10 large!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.