1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sandy Hook LIF Final Week

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by cfh64, Jan 7, 2013.

1. 78 minutes remaining! Incredible support by a community of incredible people!
    I don't wear jewelry, but I do now. Winner of my donation box, you will be receiving this....
    [​IMG]

Wear it proud!

2. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

BOSS! just fucking epic guys!

3. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (340) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

Wow, I miss entirely too much on this site with my schedule.

Impressive!...and important.

I'll keep the ball rolling with a donation this weekend. Cheers!

4. ediaz

ediaz Savant (335) Florida Nov 23, 2011

Can we get a final #?

5. And can I ask a favor of you TX BAs that see Brad at bottle shares....next time he walks into one, please start a classic 80s movie slow clap. The guys a rock star.

NABS likes this.
  6. Wow! Thanks so much. I just got home from work and saw this. I'm excited to get to try these beers, but definitely more excited about how much everyone has raised for such a great cause.

7. AnnArborJoe

AnnArborJoe Savant (325) Michigan Jan 18, 2011

To say I'm excited about a BA DL is quite an understatement. I'm happy to be a part of this great effort and would like to thank Brad (cfh64), Matt (stxSS07) and everyone who has donated boxes and money. Although this site can occasionally bring out the worst in people, this instance is incredible. Cheers to all of BA for pulling together on this.

[​IMG]

8. glad to see a good dude like joe push us over the 8k mark and get a nice box.
    i'm still eyeing the stuff you sent my way trying to chose which to crack first :)

9. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Absolutely, hopefully a very informal/amateur video of the drawing will be posted later today. BA Mattisloco is coming over in about an hour and we'll get after it. I'll put all the final stats together and post them with the video along with the results.

10. Tkolar

Tkolar Aficionado (115) New Jersey Oct 23, 2011

Wow awesome job guys.

11. Over 8000 dollars from a bunch beer lovers on the internet. This is truely amazing.

Thank you brad for running this. Everyone who donated boxes and everyone who donayef money.

If this can help prevent one unnecessary tragedy or help any of the people who lost loved ones.

Then its well worth it

Round of applause to u good sir.

12. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

The media needs to know about this!!

13. I think thats the exact thing should not happen. sure we raised a decent bit of money. but did we do it for recognition? no. we did it because we care about families who lost their kids to a tragic thing. and we also were offered some pretty amazing beers as a reason to get off our butts and do something if only a small donation or a large one.

my opinion at least... no hard feelings if others disagree with me.

14. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I'm not saying I would take it to the media, especially considering we raised all these funds with illegal beer shipments as a prize. But just because we didn't do it for the recognition, that doesn't mean it couldn't be recognized as a great effort where a community came together to help out another.

15. This whole experience has been pretty fantastic, it makes me glad I stopped lurking and decided to start becoming a more active member of this extremely big hearted community. You guys all rock!

16. nedvalton

nedvalton Aficionado (150) Alabama Dec 29, 2012

I am new on here but seeing and being a part of stuff like this is what life is about. Helping others when they need it most. Even if ita only a small donation or a simple smile it goes a long way. Hopefully we can carry this positive attitude with us each day. Make the world a better place one person at a time

17. Great Job Guys!

18. cfh64

We're getting close :). Everything is just about ready for the drawing .We had some small problems with you tube and I'm nervous, lol. Please don't expect much.

19. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Honestly, I'm sure everyone would take your word for it if you were to just post the winners in this thread (if the youtube thing isn't going as planned). The vid would be cool, but its not essential.

20. Don't be nervous man...we are a bunch of beer geeks...

and I don't care if you drool all over yourself and poop your pants...I'll remember you for this amazing act of humanity, not of your youtube video.

21. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

If he soils his shorts, we'll remember him for the amazing act of generosity AND his bowel movement.

22. JM03

That IS you in your avatar, right? I don't see you as the nervous type

23. cfh64

Lol, I know. I'm outspoken amongst friends. I've had a beer or two, going to tape now :).

24. I think I might be a hypocrite...
    When I made a donation, it was because it was something that I wanted to, that I had meant to do, but just hadn't gotten around to actually doing anything about it. This LIF was the kick in the butt I needed to get going is all. It was not because of the chance to win beer that I made a donation.
    That being said, I've been glued to this thread all day to see if I've won beer.

25. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

The media has done enough to these people already...

26. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

It really is the icing on the cake isn't it!?

27. cfh64

Ugh...drawing is done. We are working on it. I honestly feel bad that not everyone could get a box. I know most, if not all, of you donated because it was the right thing to do but I still wish I could thank everyone. For me,the toughest part of this was the drawing (other than being on video for the entire BA world to see).

28. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

I don't think anyone will be or should be disappointed with anything relating to this thread... each and everyone in here who donated should be proud (even if you did it for the wrong reason, you did something good knowing there was a chance you got nothing in return).

Be easy on yourself Brad... this was a major W for the entire community

29. Well said ossie.

30. "Oh no, I donated to deserving charities that will improve the lives of families who suffered an incredible tragedy and I didn't get any simple beverages in return."
    - Alternate Universe Evil Blargimus (said while stroking goatee)

NABS likes this.
  31. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I am glad some people's porches are going to get all fucked on, but I am way more glad this was so successful in general at showing we are all some badass mother fuckers.

32. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

Forget beer, you should give out these...
    [​IMG]

33. cfh64

Wow, I hate myself on video even more than I thought. My cat makes an impromptu appearance, apparently I have a "Forest Gump" wave, and I apologize for the low audio. Sorry for the lack of emotion, I was just nervous. Feel free to make fun of me and the video, it's raw and uncut :). I have no problem laughing at myself :)

I may say a few more words but there isn't much more to say that I haven't already mentioned. Thanks to everyone for your generosity and contributions. Something I forgot to mention in the video, I appreciate all of the thanks I have received but all I did was start an LIF. This would have never been as successful as it was without ALL of you. This was a team effort of strangers, friends, and even foes that came together for a more than a worthy cause.

I wish I could send each of you a KH. I really did feel bad having to narrow this down to 15 "winners". I know this sounds cliche but all of you are winners and I'm humbled and proud to have all of you symbolically represented on my table. I'll never forget this LIF. Again, whether you get a box or not everyone should be proud of themselves. My cellar is open to each and every one of you. If ANY o fyou make it to Dallas, please let me know. On to some stats

175- approx different BA's that donated to a charity
    $8,500- approx amount of total monetary donations to charities

DONATION TOTALS:
    Dawn Hochsprung Memorial Fund $230
    Newtown Youth and Family Services $830
    My Sandy Hook Family Fund $705
    Supporting Newtown Teachers $155
    Give Forward $1010
    Friends of the Engel Family Fund $20
    Emilie Parker Memorial Fund $80
    Noah's Ark of Hope Fund $985
    Newtown Parent Connection $840
    Sandy Hook School Support Fund $1470
    Newtown Memorial Fund $2030
    Teddybeardrivect.org

WINNERS!!!! I will be in touch with you sometime this weekend for shipping info.

The Ugly Video

box 1- jpaulsen
    box 2- badboy7113
    box 3- funkyaudio
    box 4- bradcochran123
    box 5- smonice
    box 6- celticfutblclub
    box 7- wsucoug96
    box 8- zekeman17
    box 9- brydeen
    box 10- Rau71
    box 11- wscaffe
    box 12- mathematizer
    box 13- wittyname
    box 14- DenverBeerDrinker
    box 15- NABS

34. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

WHAT!!! I never win anything! I am speechless!

35. so many names. so awesome!

36. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

Great shirt cfh64! I kinda want one :). Congrats to all the winners, and thank you for putting this together to support a very well-deserved cause!

37. Congrats to all the winners and one hell of a turnout!

You are too hard on yourself cfh, that was well done and shit, you may be in that elusive 275 bench club. Only suggestion, would be to have you fill that mug after the drawing with BCBS and slammed it in honor of such a great LIF coming to a close.

38. JM03

Congrats to all of the winners!

39. congrats to everyone who wont things!

40. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (355) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Congrats to all the winners and, again, thank you to cfh64 for starting this awesome LIF!!