1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sandy Relief Ale (IPA)

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Northlax3, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Interesting story around a beer brewed by 8 breweries from NY affected by Sandy. Its an IPA, I'm hoping above average, that was brewed to aid in the sandy relief efforts (improving spirits as well I'm sure).

Living in NJ, I hope I get to see this. Hopefully it'll be a good representation of what the east coast can do with IPAs. Bluepoint is a decent brewery, but I really wish Kane or East Coast Brewing had a hand in this (From NJ)

Full story here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/sandy-relief-ale-brewed-storm-victims-charity-18191142

Being released January 22, 2013

cosmicevan and ant880 like this.
  2. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Very excited about this.

cosmicevan likes this.
  3. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Need to look for this one.

4. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Saw this in the local paper yesterday, very cool. Barrier Brewing, which makes some excellent beer, got demolished by Sandy..hopefully this will help get them back on their feet.

cosmicevan, koko2315 and VonZipper like this.
  5. jaIsPoAn

I'm 5 minutes from BP if anyone is interested

6. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I'd prefer a nondescript American Strong Ale.

7. I was at barrier brewing today, I live in Oceanside. Guys took over 100k in damaged but started brewing this week. They didn't have this beer in but they did have the beer they made with brewery ommegang. I'm happy for them to be back up and brewing.

8. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

They're Back!

Fantasy_Factory likes this.
  9. Sounds like something to try, even if it isn't the best at least it's helping out those devastated by Sandy.

10. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Any idea what the distribution for this is going to be? Making it to NYC? Northern NJ?

11. Hopefully there's enough to get it up to No. Westchester. I'd like to buy some and it would make me feel good to know that I'm helping out by doing so.

12. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (425) New York Feb 14, 2012

so glad they are back... perfect song choice too. I hope they got to enjoy some of the phish nye run before brewing. hopefully will stop by on sat for some growlers

VonZipper likes this.
  13. Ive heard distribution for the bottles will be very small. Suggested retail in the $16-18 range. A lot of stores passing on kegs because they end up being really pricey and it would be hard for them to sell $22-24 growlers of a low abv beer next to cheaper (prob better) beer they already offer. I've heard they are telling bars to charge $10 a pint for it

I'm not complaining, just relaying what I have heard. I love barrier beers and will purchase this whenever I see it

VonZipper and marshmeli like this.
  14. Personally, I don't care what I pay, as long as the profits are going to assist those in need. It's the least we can do.

15. Awesome. Will have to check that out. Great to see so many breweries getting together for such a good cause.

16. Surge Protector release date is next Tuesday (1/22)

marshmeli likes this.
  17. marshmeli

awesome cant wait to pick it up...

18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

and we haven't met up for a pint there?! i work 15 minutes from there.

19. jaIsPoAn

Lets set up a date

cosmicevan likes this.
  20. Very excited to try this next Tuesday at the Black Sheep Ale House!

cestlavie likes this.
  21. cestlavie

cestlavie Savant (490) New York Oct 27, 2011

Guys- just want to address any rumors regarding Surge Protector.... bottles and draft will all remain on Long Island, distributed by Clare Rose. The suggested retail on pints at participating bars is going to be $5, not $10. At $10, we are afraid some retailers may not be making a "generous donation back to the fund", but instead exploiting a "charity beer" for profit. No way to prevent it, but this helps buffer it a bit. Bombers will have a suggested retail of $16.99, and are going to be very limited... most RBC's on Long Island will receive an allocation. Other than that... the beer is actually awesome. Piney, bold hops up front, very light body, with a finish that makes you want another sip. Thanks for everyone involved... it was great seeing all the breweries help a fallen brother... special thanks to Blue Point Brewing Co. for being the incubator for the project, and much of the heavy lifting!!!

22. cestlavie

The release date is the 23rd. The release "Parties" are the night of the 22nd. Don't want people going out looking for a bottles and what not a day early.

23. cestlavie

Kev- please read my post. Draft is not even being offered to offpremise accouts. bombers only. draft to on premise. thanks.

24. Good to know. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to grabbing this when it hits this week.

In similiar news....Marshmeli (posting in this thread as well) and me were at Barrier today and both left with 4 bottles and 3 growlers. Good to see the brewery back up and functioning

cestlavie, marshmeli and cosmicevan like this.
  25. cestlavie

Yeah, those guys are gunna be struggling to keep their heads above water. Hopefully the hype and demand from this project brings in a boatload of money... not only to help these guys who have to be in mounds of debt to get up and running so quickly (considering the damage, 3 months is crazy!!), but to help Long Island Cares. Both bars on LI that are having the release on Tuesday will have a rep from our project selling T-shirts, the will also help to generate donations. The shirts will have a "recommended donation price of $20", but for people that want to pay more for the shirt, obviously all that money will go to the charities as well.

26. marshmeli

Thanks clarification. I'll be grabbing a bottle or 2 on wed then.

cestlavie likes this.
  27. cestlavie

No problemo bud. Just so that everyone knows- it's F-ing good. It's not a "blah" beer, as some people may have thought, seeing as it was 8 brewers collaborating with their ingredients, and has the potential to be a frankenstein beer. It took several weeks for the group to decide on the final recipe (hop additions/hops used/malt bill) but it truly was a group effort, and really cool to see each brewers perspective on what would make a great session IPA. It turned into a really, really tasty, low abv IPA. Very piney up front, solid hop punch, and then dissipates on the back end- nice light body. And then your like... wow that was good, I want another sip. It is the definition of a session IPA. Could drink a pitcher of this in about 5 mins- only problem is, I probably wouldn't taste anything for a week. Goddamn lupulin effect....

28. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Is there a list of stores on Long Island that will get bombers of this?

1Sundown2C likes this.
  29. A side note to this. When The storm hit I had a few different kegs from Barrier in the walk in. I called Evan, and told him that I would tap them all within a short time, and send him ALL of the money from the growler fills, which he could pay back with beer (at a profit of course) when he was back on his feet. The Gosilla is the last one, and is on now, and about 1/2 gone. When this is finshed, I am sending him the check. So.... if you happen to be coming by for some Surge Protector, bring a growler, and fill it with some Gosilla!
    Kudo's to all of my great friends and brewers who came together on this! Helping the Beer community, and the community as a whole!

cosmicevan likes this.
  30. Most good craft beer stores on the Island should get one or 2 cases (12 or 24 bottles) It will be delivered all day long TOMORROW by the reps. So nobody really has a time schedule.

31. marshmeli

So anyone try Surge Protector last night at the few events it was tapped at? What did you think of it? Looking forward to grabbing a bottle of it.

kevflaherty likes this.
  32. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I picked up a bottle at Beverage Barn in Garden City Park today...

[​IMG]

I added the beer to the database...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/764/89329/?ba=JoeyBeerBelly

It's a easy drinking, decent tasting beer with a pretty high price ($16.99) but afterall it is for a good cause.

I may see if I can get another bottle tomorrow otherwise, I already donated.

ant880 and VonZipper like this.
  33. Got a half growler from barrier yesterday. They only got one keg and 2 cases of bottles. I thought it was a great beer. A shame it will not be brewed again. Going back to barrier Saturday to see if they have more. Mcbreens in Lynbrook sold out the same day .

34. jaIsPoAn

I understand this is for a great cause, but way over priced $17 really?

35. Great cause so happy to support, but I thought the beer was meh.

Happy to throw my $17 in the pot to help out though

36. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Its for charity. Look at this way, donate $17 and as a token of appreciation receive a free beer. How can you use over priced and charity in same sentence?

x37x likes this.