1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sandy Relief Ale (IPA)

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Northlax3, Jan 12, 2013.

1. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (465) New York Jan 13, 2012

As a lifetime Long-Islander and a current resident of Long Beach, allow me to throw my two cents in as someone who lived through the hurricane...$17 IS overpriced. For that much money,
    I'd rather go straight to Barrier and buy a growler which:

1. Will give me more beer, which I will probably enjoy better than Sandy Relief IPA at only 5%.

2. Will probably give Barrier more money, and immediately.

I passed on this beer because of these two reasons, though I know they don't need me when I'm sure the general population will scoop it all up.

2. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Wow, unbelievable people complaining about buying a beer for charity!

x37x, cosmicevan and cestlavie like this.
  3. cestlavie

cestlavie Advocate (515) New York Oct 27, 2011

Sundown.... I'll be sure to make sure I post how much we raised with this beer, and then you may actually retract your statement. And, if you have followed our project closely, you'd realize that this was intended to help Evan and Craig, but more importantly, LI Cares. It's a charity beer. If we had priced it at $5.99, we wouldn't have raised any money. "well just make more, so you can make more money" you might say? Well, everything was donated on this project... from the grain, to the hops, to the bottles, to the labels, to the designer of the label ART (oh, yeah Randy Mosher designed it, if you couldn't tell). So we couldn't make more than what was donated- 2,000 bottles. Do the math. And yeah, the beer is awesome. Best session I've had to date... better than DayTime IPA and All Day IPA. But thanks for your support....

x37x, cosmicevan, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  4. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Hats off to you and everyone else who donated their time and money to help others in need!

I just picked up a bottle, will drink it later and report back.

cestlavie likes this.
  5. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (425) New York Feb 14, 2012

Better than Day Time ipa high praise IMO? Hopefully it is, I got my bottle at home can't wait to try it on Sunday. Happy to buy a bottle to helpthe cause and to buy a few growlers last weekend at barrier.

6. cestlavie

Yeah, Melli, I went on a little rant last night.... I just know how much blood, sweat and tears went into making this project happen... the fact that noone, including retailers, distributor, and breweries made a single dime on this beer. That is unprecedented... it just shows that all 3 tiers on LI can come together, and make a great thing happen. It's amazing... and it hurt me to see someone complain about the price, when every single person involved in getting this beer to retail gave up revenue to do something for the greater good, because they wanted to do the right thing. Thank your local retailer for selling a beer "at cost" to make sure every cent went to charity....

BellportBeer and Fantasy_Factory like this.
  7. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (815) New York Dec 13, 2009

i wish flying fish distro'ed out here...i'd definitely support that cause.

haven't been around town, but i look forward to trying this and supporting my community and all the local brewers who participated if this is still gettable in about a week.

8. LBIsurf

LBIsurf Initiate (0) New Jersey Mar 17, 2009

Doesn't look like it'll make its way to NJ. And I can't believe I missed that Carton beer also!

cestlavie likes this.
  9. cestlavie

Sorry, LBISurf... this was for the LI Market only- maybe you can trade for a bottle? It's a great Session IPA, but bc of the alcohol (<5%), it's not going to keep extremely long.

Fantasy_Factory likes this.
  10. LBIsurf

LBIsurf Initiate (0) New Jersey Mar 17, 2009

I have a buddy who goes to Hofstra. He's going to try to pick a few bottles up.

11. It's currently on Tap at The Lark in East northport. The owner Tim is here, and I just asked about it.

cestlavie likes this.
  12. Almost everybody is sold out of it now, at least in my neck of the woods. Mcbreens told me it was gone the day they got iy

13. cestlavie

Also, just tapped last night at West End Cafe in Carle Place -Glen Cove Rd/Old Country Rd