1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sanitizing spritzer v. Beer Clean glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MatthewPlus, Feb 18, 2013.

1. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (345) Florida Jan 2, 2013

I've recently been involved in an on-going discussion about the cleaning spritzers at craft beer bars. I've always been under the impression that all glasses should be clean and air-dried before being filled with beer. Why are so many bars going to this spritzer to secondarily clean glasses? I realize that not much water is left in the glass after this process, but it seems to me that if I'm paying $8 for a 10oz pour of BA batch 9k at my local bar, i don't want ANY water in my glass. Not to mention most of these spritzers also chill the glass, and typically I'm trying to warm the beer i order before i drink it. Any thoughts? Anyone with industry expertise that can give me an argument to either side?

2. KegKicker

KegKicker Aficionado (170) New York Aug 11, 2008

Great question! I have wondered about this seeming contradiction also and am curious on the responses.

3. azorie likes this.
  4. Good explanation and an even better beer list.
    Wish this place was near me.

core42, azorie and JT99125 like this.
  5. I work at a beer bar in California. We have to have a three compartment sink to abide by California Sanitation Standards. The first sink is for cleaning with soap, the second for rinsing, and the third for sanitizing. The glasses have to be air dried, not wiped with a cloth. So when we serve a beer, we want to get the sanitizer off the inside of all glasses. Or else there will be an off taste to the beer.

utopiajane, SatlyMalty and bookerandy like this.
  6. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

*Code of Hammurabi is the oldest set of known written laws. Dating back almost 4,000 years this Babylonian code specifically addresses the issue of watering down, short selling, or overcharging for beer. These crimes were punishable by death!

I love this statment!

fineout and daysinthewake like this.
  7. If you go to some of the beer gardens in Munich, there are racks of the liter mugs that have been washed and stored upside down. You take one, go to the sinks with running water and rinse the mug with the water to make it beer clean.

I welcome the spritzers in local bars. Hate the taste of sanitizer.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I welcome a quick rinse of my glass before it gets to me. I do the same at home before I use a glass I am pulling out of the cupboard.

loafinaround and Providence like this.
  9. Besides a final rinse to clear the glass of any residue sanitizer/detergent or dust that may have settled after cleaning, a wet glass makes pouring and controlling the head easier, and the water being slightly chilled brings a room temp. glass closer to the temperature of the beer, which also helps with the pour.

10. Search the internet for "beer clean glass". Read the articles that were written by Ray Daniels.

11. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (345) Florida Jan 2, 2013

Thank you all for the great information. I feel i have moved on with this issue, and can once again go back to drinking beer!

12. These places I refuse to drink at. If you watch through the night how often to they change the water in the sinks and add clean soap and sanitizer. When they are very busy probably not very often so washing and rinsing in dirty sitting water. I would much prefer they use a steam clean in the dishwasher and then air dry and spritz prior to filling.

13. A little bit of water in the glass is a whole lot better than getting a glass that reeks of whatever detergent/sanitizer they use in the dishwasher. The tiny amount of water in relation to the amount of beer in the glass will not be detectable to the human palate.

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  14. Yeah, but when I pay $5.61 (well, + 7% sales tax, so 6 bucks even) for a pint of 6.7% HopDevil IPA, I expect a full pint of 6.7% ale, not 6.6987% ale. What's that you say? That Libbey shaker pint glass they use here only holds 14 ounces, and with that ¾" head I probably only got a little over 11 ounces of beer? Uh, where's my calculator?;)

azorie and SatlyMalty like this.
  15. http://www.thebeergauge.com/

mhksuccess likes this.
  16. Yeah, but that thing's only good if you get a true 16 oz. shaker, not the near identical dimensioned 14 oz'er. When are they gonna come out with v2- with the build-in slide-rule?:eek:

[​IMG]

17. I hear your frustration with those bars. We change our water every 2 hours, whether we are busy or not. That's another California health code. The water in the wash and rinse sink must be warm. And we only clean glasses in the sinks, no dishes at all!

18. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Following this though there is no room for a decent sized head. That CA bar posted above does it right. Larger then 16 oz glass with room for a head.

19. BeerClean

BeerClean Initiate (10) Jun 10, 2013

Hi. I was reading the posts. Here in Holland it is most common to use the combination of sink and sanitizing - cold water- spritzer in order to achive Beer Clean Glasses. Also many establishments install a extra "Green/Sustainable" Glas Cleaning system on to the glass cleaning sinks behing the bar. This add-on system will keep the water in the sink as fresh and hygienic as possible. This ensures optimal repetitive Beer Clean glasses for good tasting beer and great sustained beer foam.

20. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

When the glass air dries dust particles collect on the side of the glass. The rinsing helps to refuse friction and with less dust you won't lose as much carbonation.

BeerClean likes this.
  21. BeerClean

BeerClean Initiate (10) Jun 10, 2013

22. in all honesty, you could ask them to dry the galss before they fill it if you're a regular patron. I would tip alittle better too if I were to do this. but i think that euro spritzer uses water to coat the interior of the glass filling in the micro cracks and crevices of an older or used glass. also helps for a better pour too.

23. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Have you ever spent an entire sunday at home and started drinking at a relatively early hour and found that by mid afternoon all your glasses of choice were dirty? That is why the delay in the air drying of glasses at a busy bar.

24. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I just reuse mine. I find the first sip cleans all. lol:eek::D

25. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

first one should be hot and soapy, the middle one is warm water to rinse and has a hot drip so everything rises to the top and drips out (oils, soaps) to keep it clean and fresh, and your third is sanitizer. i change my first sink almost every tub i clean of glasses because it gets dirty quick. being busy should have nothing to do with how often the sinks are changed.