1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Saving a few $, shipping with FedEx

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by sandiego67, Feb 2, 2013.

1. I have a FedEx account and I print my shipping labels at home. I just noticed that when you Perform the Detailed Address Check, it automatically defaults to "This is a residential address" if you are shipping to someone's home. It then ships FedEx Residential Delivery. This bypasses the GROUND option and adds a few dollars to the shipping cost.

If you are shipping frequently, you can save a few bucks by un-checking this box.

2. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Just remember Ground is only Mon-Fri delivery. Home will deliver on Saturdays.

3. Got it. Good call.

4. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Having worked at FedEx for a few years- you're going to get better package handling shipping Home Delivery (residential) as well. Drivers load their own packages as opposed to someone making $10/hr who doesn't give a shit.

5. More good info. I thought it was just a surcharge that I could avoid.

6. pest

pest Savant (385) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

Good tip, never heard this before

7. That is good info to consider. I would still rather save a few dollars wherever possible though, and just make sure to package very well.

When you're making the label at home, you can bring the drop down menu on the right for Rates, and see what it costs for every option. I go with the cheapest every time and have thus far never had a package damaged in any way in shipping with careful packaging.

8. gn0sis

gn0sis Savant (290) Massachusetts Dec 17, 2007

I've had FedEx readjust the price and tack on surcharges after the fact when they realized it was not actually a business.

9. I have the online account and it lets you track your shipments. I have been pleasantly surprised on a few shipments lately where they adjusted the weight down and the costs was less than I planned.

10. I've never had an issue with fedex home delivery, but fedex ground has lost my package x2, not fun! Ground doesn't seem as equipped to deal with residential.

11. this is true, they definitely adjust for the residential delivery. you will see the additional charge on your billing statement.

cbeer88 likes this.
  12. Lam

Lam Disciple (55) California Feb 5, 2013

Similar question, I would like to ship my beer to my cousin who lives abroad. Any suggestion? would the beer go bad? the beer is orange wheat.

13. Yeah, residential is actually a different service - odds are your box ends up getting transferred over to Home at some point, it will take an extra day for the mess-up, and you'll still get charged for residential. I try to google map addresses before shipping to get it right, but it's not always obvious.