1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Scandal at the 2012 BII Scotland Annual Awards, Diageo allegedly fixes awards, Brewdog denied

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, May 9, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Update: Diageo officially says sorry.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...ixes-awards-brewdog-denied.17456/#post-208925

From BrewDog's blog:

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/diageo-v-brewdog

2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

From James Watt's (@BrewDogJames) Twitter account:
    And from BrewDog Dispatch:
    http://www.digitalnewsroom.co.uk/brewdog/dirty-diageo/

3. Wow. What is the world coming to? That is one of the craziest things I've read in some time.

4. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Sounds more like BII fixed the award under pressure from Diageo. They should be held equally accountable. But of course, since the first rule of BA is 'vilify the corporation,' I'm not surprised this distinction is glossed-over.

If the head of BII is so regretful, why don't they just reissue the award?

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Geez the name was already etched in?? Did they think no one would notice or make a stink?

6. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

• Please refrain from trolling.
    Oh, dear. Nevermind.

7. Diageo, ya dun goofed. Never give Brewdog ammunition like this unless you wanna feel the sting.

8. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

This is sort of where I come down on this, too. I get that they were under pressure, but they were under no obligation to go along with Diageo on this; at that moment, the sponsorship was worth more than the integrity of the awards. Of course, the chairman does apparently recognize it was the wrong call to have made.

9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Sounds like another BrewDog stunt, if you ask me. When Brewdog stuffs the overpriced beer they make into dead squirrels, and all the other "look at me look at me" media-shenanigans hyping of their mediocre products, then, Brewdog,
    -Who believes you when you act this way? When petulance is shown on the face of a clown, it can only be considered to be mock petulance.
    -Pardon me if I don't care if you win or lose anything, be it rightly or wrongly done?

That said, if this is true, Diageo just is doing what all corporate bullies routinely do in every business every day of the week. They got caught at it? On no, guess they will have to wait 30 seconds for everyone to forget about it and it will be back to BAU.

beertunes likes this.
  10. Todd

11. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

This whole thing just seems so... laughable. BII (whatever that is) should have obviously told Diageo where they could stick their sponsorship money. Plus, what kind of awards ceremony notifies the winners in advance?

Also, wouldn't good journalism require attempting to get a statement directly from BII and Diageo? (Not secondhand quotes attributed to BII but not verified.) Not that I expect good journalism from a press release, just saying that we're only getting one side of the story here.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  12. I don't really think this is a common business practice, though I have never been involved in the alcoholic beverage business. Despite the fact that I'm not a huge fan of Brewdog's products and I find their marketing strategies in poor taste (yet fairly effective), this is dirty business practice on the part of Diageo. It should be exposed.

13. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I agree that their "stunts" are a little crazy, but I gotta wonder what being a craft brewer is like on the other side of the pond. Over here craft beer seems to be a pretty accepted medium. We're at around what, 2000 breweries? How many do you think are over there? I would argue that even some of the ones we might consider craft, like Cantillon or 3F, don't get any of the same backlash that these guys do because their styles are traditional and have been used for hundreds of years. These guys come in making beer stronger than vodka and so hoppy it makes your tongue fall off... That's gonna scare some people! So I try to cut them some slack.

As far as the corporate bullying, hopefully they messed with someone who won't forget about it in 30 seconds, and from what I've seen of them, they probably won't let us forget either. ;)

14. GregoryVII

GregoryVII Savant (335) Michigan Jan 30, 2006

Are there sources for this that aren't Brewdog's blog and twitter accounts?

15. a photo of the engraved plaque would have been most enlightening.

16. Todd

Not yet, however BrewDog just announced that "someone" from Diageo issued the following statement (posted on the BrewDog blog):

17. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

18. cavedave

Perhaps I did get a little flowery in the characterizations. Let's put it more tersely. BrewDog revels in making itself the outsider, the rabble rouser, both in advertising stunts and in well discussed fights with CAMRA. They delight in being the wall breakers of traditional thinking. Now they complain at not getting some mainstream award from a mainstream event bought and paid for by the same people upon whose "toes" they've made a name for themselves by stamping. I don't care, I don't believe they care. IMHO, it is just more of their same much ado about nothing, and a stance that BrewDog have calculated will bring them more attention than winning some stupid award ever would, or could, have done.

beertunes likes this.
  19. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I completely agree with everything you said there, I just don't think of it in what appears to be the negative light you're shining on it. They probably don't care about the award, but they do care about the principle. If someone isn't out there making much ado (love that term) about things like this and other corporate bullying, which is far from nothing, why would they stop?

20. Todd

From the actual source, Diageo officially says sorry.

http://www.diageo.com/en-row/newsmedia/Pages/resource.aspx?resourceid=1263

21. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

this story and thread bring a few truths to light...

1. many in the craft beer community do not take BrewDog seriously
    2. big beer companies are shady and scared of craft breweries

The award committee was bullied into doing something they shouldn't have and they share fault as they could have stepped up. I understand why some people want the onus to be on them and want to fade away from big beer companies being the issue all the time. Unfortunately, when a lot of these issues constantly involve big beer companies, one tends to see the common issue. Much like many wrote of BrewDog in this instance for their constant shenanigans.

VonZipper likes this.
  22. NitroGen

NitroGen Savant (305) Arizona Sep 29, 2007

I find that the best part is that if you look at Diageo’s website just below today's "Statement regarding the 2012 BII Scotland Annual Awards" is this post from yesteday, May 8th:
    Paul Walsh key note speech at Responsible Business Summit
    "Paul Walsh, CEO Diageo plc gave the keynote speech in the opening session of Ethical Corporation’s two day Responsible Business Summit in London. In his speech, Paul shares his perspective on sustainability for business – how this can give businesses a competitive edge and how collaboration in sustainability can work for all partners.”
    http://www.diageo.com/en-row/NewsMedia/Pages/default.aspx
    This is just another example of a Goliath making up the rules and expecting others to step in line and abide by them. The biggest corporate sin is that instead of the usual nod and a wink and business as usual this became public only because a few had the marbles and spoke the truth.

23. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

So, who was awarded the prize? And why would Big D do this to BrewDog (was there animosity between the two?)

Regardless, when international conglomerates stand to lose market share to smaller dudes, they will resort to "alternative" tactics. Crap like this happens in capitalism, when those involved don't like competition (how ironic)

But the attention needn't be on Brew Dog. Yes, they got screwed, but supporting them won't highlight the wrongdoing/ers. Focus should be on Diageo.
    "...does not reflect in any way Diageo’s corporate values and behaviour"

Yeah, right

omnigrits and cavedave like this.
  24. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

I've read most of what's posted here and can't find a reason for Diageos action. Does anyone know or have an idea? Just wondering if it's a particular hatred of Brew Dog specifically or if Diageos brands ( like Guiness) are tied to houses that were also up for the award.

25. Nupappa

Nupappa Aspirant (30) May 16, 2012

I sent a message to Diageo corporate and received the same response that they posted online: "... does not reflect our corporate values and behavior..." yadayadayada. This is from [email protected]. Here is my response:

Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for the response, however I highly question your statement that this event "does not reflect in any way Diageo's corporate values and behavior". SOMEONE from your company made a stink about this award and prevented it from being given to the rightful winner. That SOMEONE works for your company. That SOMEONE reflects your corporate values and behavior in the decisions they make while on the job. The ONLY solution to prove otherwise is to immediately fire EVERYONE involved in the incident. If that does not happen, then this event ABSOLUTELY represents your corporate values.

You cannot just throw rhetoric at situations like this and say that an individual was acting on their own. You hired that person(s), you trained them, you entrusted them with this event and with your reputation. Either you made a serious error in judgement, or you didn't.

foobula likes this.
  26. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I agree, for the most part. Firing EVERYONE might be heavy-handed and unfair, but firing the main asshat who decided to fix the awards seems appropriate.

Mavajoo and ant880 like this.
  27. The fact that they have not seen fit to give the award to Brew Dog, since that who it was clearly supposed to go to, is also complete garbage.

28. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

29. This is why prior bad acts/character evidence is generally not admissible in our legal system.

People using events not relevant to the issue at hand that are more prejudicial than their actual probative effect are distractions from getting to the truth of the matter at hand.

I think analysis of this situation should focus on what the parties involved did in this instance, not how they marketed their beers/identity in prior years, or how some vague notion of unidentified 'corporate bullies' act in unidentified ways 'every day of the year' or whatnot.

woosterbill likes this.
  30. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

hah, this.

lol at doing this to brewdog of all people. those guys are liable to print up t-shirts about the incident and brew a line of "diageo is the evil empire!" beers in response. hilarious.

31. cavedave

Since there was no provable loss of money, loss of reputation is all BrewDog could claim IIRC. What reputation?

Big companies routinely use their muscle in many ways. If I hurt your feelings with my characterization of it as bullying please accept my apology

32. Uh, my comment wasn't that there would be an actual case and proving damages, it was to illustrate why a system built on fact and truth finding doesn't allow thoughts like yours to pollute the process.

Hurt feelings, that's good, I'm always a big fan of unintentional humor.

33. cavedave

Yeah, whatever, if it makes you happy the humor indeed was not intended, nor the ironic note you failed to mention, but probably noted.

You take yourself much too seriously, as do the majority of the plague of lawyers my family is "blessed" with. Any conversation, though beer never has been popular subject, becomes fodder for some self congratulatorily astute yet abstruse observation of how it relates to the minutiae of trial law.

34. That Natalie Merchant song "Jealousy" never gets old.

But I have to thank you, I learned a new word today: "abstruse"
    I'll prolly keep using obtuse, but its nice to have a backup when a thesaurus isn't available.

35. cavedave

And add to that I prefer the misinterpretation of Shakespeare's edict.

36. Both sides say the other side misinterprets it, so your comment reveals nothing to me other than familiarity with said quote/edict.

37. cavedave

The context of the quote is obvious. Stick to law.

38. But hey, since I have you here, I might as well make you useful (jokingly):

Is Sixpoint Resin any good (its the next NY beer I'm after)?. . . and I'm trying to add to my Dick's Picks Dead catalog (I think I have Tampa, Oakland, Cow Palace, Hartford). . .you have a fave of those that would make for a nice wind down evening after work while I crack open some Resin (maybe two kinds)? I'm interested in the Lake Tahoe one, but have never gotten any feedback about it.

39. I'm pretty sure interpreting things is part of the law. . . stick to not the law if you can't see how one thing is subject to two interpretations.

40. cavedave

Resin is pretty fine, not a big Sixpoint fan, many better, especially out your way, I'd pass it by. And though I still have a soft spot in my heart for JG, RIP, and always will, I have been a classical music fan for a number of years, and do not own any Dicks Picks, though the wife does, and my last show of approx. 200 was in '92. My wind down lately has been the Philadelphia Orchestra under Muti doing some righteous Tchaikovsky.