1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Schaumburg Area BA's

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Coirm, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (170) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

New member, long time viewer. Looking to join or maybe start a local tasting group. I have been drinking non mainstream beer since my first visit to the old WineKeller in Berwyn and had a Gem├╝tlichkeit half and half with Odo. Graduated to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale at at GD concert in the late 80's and haven't looked back. Looking for a group that I can walk home from ... Or at least cheap cab ride! Lol. Also, don't remember which thread it was on, but a BA posted about Matt at Doddy's in Palatine, thanks for hookup, Matt rocks! Hope I hope I haven't bent any unwritten rules, if so, twas unintentional.

gpawned likes this.
  2. If something comes of this I might be interested.

3. Coirm

I really hope something comes from this. If a group doesn't exist around here ( or possibly not want/need a 'new' guy), then I aim to create one. Got a BAer from Hoffman who sounds interested. I see my post got 70 or so views but only one response so far. In case anyone was curious as to what is in my 'cellar' at this time, here are current occupants; Alpha King, Zombie Dust, FBS, Founders Imp Stout, Big John, Nightstalker, BC reg and coffee, Rochefort 10, Pyramid Apricot Ale, Baller Stout, assorted Sam Adam leftovers from Christmas, and a 1.5 liter bottle of Garre I shlepped back from Brugge last year. I love a good hop bomb, but enjoyed many others styles. Can't wait for Hopslam and Palate Wrecker!!!!!

4. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

I'm near Schaumburg

5. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I live in Algonquin but could do some meetups sometime, but only if we are listening to some GD ;):cool:

RWNay and Nachos4two like this.
  6. Coirm

Well, I do enjoy combining those particular activities. Last nite had an Alpha King then a FBS (my first one, excellent beer) while listening to my GD station on Pandora with earbuds. Can't rock the house at night anymore.... Kids gotta sleep!

weakness33 likes this.
  7. baker2gs

baker2gs Aficionado (205) Illinois Apr 19, 2010

I'm in the Schaumburg area. I unfortunately am not a GD fan, from my avatar you can tell that I'm far from it. I'll get down with some good people and beers though. I've got a pretty good cellar built up from the past 4 years.

8. I live in Palatine and would be interested too.

9. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012

I would be interested in this. Let's get our first meet up going!

10. I'm in Schaumburg, I know a few guys in the area I've met through here.

11. I'm interested. I live out in Lith but work in Elk Grove Village, so I'm through Schaumburg daily.

12. SSGKIM

SSGKIM Disciple (70) Illinois Jan 6, 2013

I may be interested. I live in Lisle which is only about 20 minutes away. My cellar contains BCS (coffee, cherry rye, regular...varying vintages), a few bottles of Vanilla Dark Lord, couple cases of Pliny's the Elder, 2 boxes of Westvleteren XII (yea not sharing those sorrie), a case of Heady Topper, a Bolt Cutter, Founders CBS, couple bottles of hopslam left over, and then some regular stuff; daisy cutter, zombie dust, gumball head, firestone walker double jack, la fin du monde.

13. I'm in Mt. Prospect and would be interested. I also homebrew and could bring some of that with some cellar items.

14. Coirm

Any local BA's going to the Beer Temple grand opening in Chicago?

15. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (410) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

I live in the Schaumburg area and would love to get a tasting group together, my friends while they like craft beer dont appreciate one-offs and the more rare commodities that I pose. We just need to find a place for all of us to meet. We could even make a club out of it, meet once a month or once a quarter.

16. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

When I'm in the area, I'm in Streamwood. I'd really like to get into a group that has or can get Cantillon one-offs that I haven't had before. I would be bringing beer for two people, since I bring my groupie along. :cool:

17. Coirm

Hey any local BA's going to Fischmans for the KBS tapping Thursday?

18. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (210) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

Dobbys is great. George's wine and liquor up Smith from there is small but sort of a hidden gem. Always has a large FFF collection and lots of other goodies.

Nellies as far as a bar goes has a great beer offering, usually.

19. Coirm

Lets try a different tack, anybody want meetup at Fischmans for a couple KBS's?

DarkMagneto likes this.
  20. I'm going to try and make that event

21. EGV here, also aiming to be at Fischman's for KBS.

22. Coirm

Edit: KBS on 4.4.2013 @ Fischman's. Not this week... Apparently I cannot read a calender.

23. baker2gs

baker2gs Aficionado (205) Illinois Apr 19, 2010

You got my hopes up that I would be able to make it.

24. Orlando

Orlando Aficionado (220) Illinois Aug 7, 2012

I'd be interested in a Schaumburg area tasting group. I'm in Arlington Heights. I can bring some KBS to the tasting cause I was lucky enough to score a ticket for this weekend. I'm going to try to make it to Fischmans on 4.4 as well.

25. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (465) Illinois May 17, 2013

Bumping this thread to see if there's any interest in a NW 'burbs meet up.

26. Coirm

Hell yes.

27. JRBecks

when and where? I am down

28. BeerGreg

Throw out some places in the Schaumburg area. Some week night next week?

29. JRBecks

Im not sure, do you know if Bigbys would allow a bottle share?

30. sbxx

sbxx Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

I'm down.

31. ddskos

ddskos Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 28, 2008

Would be interested.

32. They have in the past for some west suburban BA's but it was outside in the warm weather. I think it's the first or second Tuesday of the month that a group of home brewers meet there(inside) so I don't think it would be too much of a problem to set something up inside.

33. I'm in Crystal Lake but I would be interested as well.

34. Brew club meeting is 2nd Tuesday of every month

35. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (210) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

Nellys has great craft. that said I'm out of town for next few weeks

36. JRBecks

So should we try and set something up at Bigbys then? something other than the 2nd Tuesday of every month. Or would people prefer something closer to Schaumburg?

37. BeerGreg

I like the Nellies idea. They have really good craft selection.

38. awakeavast

awakeavast Zealot (95) Illinois Feb 15, 2013

Nellies or bigbys are good. I haven't gone to bigbys in a while because of the construction traffic, but its not that big of a deal

39. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

I know it's "possible" to BYOB to Nellie's for a bottle share. I haven't personally ever arranged one but perhaps if you get to know the owner (he's always around) and spend a fair amount of time there previously, and perhaps agree to order a set amount of food, they'll give you a room to use.

40. sbxx

sbxx Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Nellies would be cool.