1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Schell Maifest vs Summit Maibock

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ZAP, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Did these two blind the other day and much preferred Summit for its maltier take. Maifest to me always seems very, very dry on the finish with a biting hoppiness I don't exactly love in this style. I like it when they lean malty... Just my thoughts. I'd love to hear any other opinions. It is nice to have to blond bocks brewed locally and while I prefer Summit I do still enjoy the Schell version.

Chaz likes this.
  2. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Both good beers by breweries who are overlooked due to the DIPA and barrel aged stout craze.

Ejayz, darky, RKPStogie and 3 others like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

I drank a six-pack of Mindblock the other day after coming back from a 'power walk'.

Er, what was the question?

4. smogfood

smogfood Savant (285) Wisconsin Dec 10, 2010

Strange, I've yet to see Summit Maibock this year. I generally see it in March, maybe even February last year, but no sign of it in my area. It's always been my favorite of their beers. Where is it?

5. leezy

leezy Aficionado (185) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

Word is that until the Frostline is sold out, distributors won't sell Maibock to stores. That being said, I saw it at 1st Grand ave on Thursday, wish I would have picked some up :(

6. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Maibock is in the Spring Sampler and maybe I saw twelve packs of it. No six packs yet though.

7. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Of all places, BWW in Plymouth tapped Summit Maibock on Thursday. Delicious.

8. ZAP

It's got a real nice maltiness to it this year....

9. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

I much prefer Schell's over Summit's. Delicious and highly drinkable.

10. ZAP

yeah I enjoy them both...kind of a taste preference on whether you lean more malt or hops I guess...

11. smogfood

That totally sucks! I doubt I'll see any this year cause there's no shortage of Frostline (which I really didn't care for). Their Maibock is something I look forward to every spring and is really the only beer from Summit I care to pick up. With the vast array of great beers to choose from I'll usually give Summit's good, but not great beers a miss. The Maibock is the exception because it's so different from everything else on the shelves, and Schell's Maifest is not a happy alternative for me. There was a Schell's Snowstorm a few years ago that I was pretty happy with, but otherwise I find them to be a sub par brewery. Oh well, I've supported Summit since they started, but if I can't get my favorite of their lineup, and all they want to do is make mediocre IPA's I'll have to finally say farewell to them.

12. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (145) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

If you haven't tried Schell's in a few years, you are really missing out. Schell's is not a sub par brewery.

Also, you think all that Summit makes is mediocre IPA's?? I would never call Saga mediocre and Summit has a lineup that is hardly IPA focused.

13. Chaz

Hey now! This 2010 deserves to have his say~! Besides: More Summit and Schell for me. :cool:

@leezy, I forgot to ask -- did word come through a J.J. Taylor rep or your favorite local beer guy? I ask also because I saw Frostline 12s at my local for $9.99 one day, and they were gone the next. It was the weekend of 'Record Store Day' -- forgive me my lack of a proper date, but 'tis been a blur lately.

ben4bier likes this.
  14. leezy

leezy Aficionado (185) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

I heard about the Maibock through a beer guy, I was making a run looking for new beers and places to check out and just happened to ask at one of the stops I made.
    Cheers!

Chaz likes this.
  15. smogfood

I'm well aware that Summit makes styles other than IPAs. It's just that I seem to be seeing more IPAs coming from them in recent years than anything else and I'm consistently underwhelmed. I feel the same about the unchained series. I just feel that Summit is a brewery with the capability to Wow me, but the never do. I will say that Great Northern Porter is vastly underrated.

Schell's? I don't know man, with the ever increasing availability of really great beers/breweries we're not playing a par 3 anymore.

16. Chaz

I don't ordinarily drink beers of this strength during daylight hours, but I did a side by side earlier today. ;)

Summit's classic "Mind Block" has really evolved into a restrained and toned-down beast in recent years. Gone are the ale-estery and overly boozy character traits that made this a Tuesday Night favorite at the Triple Rock. In its place is a to-style brew which is a malty beast indeed: plenty of strength and body ("backbone", if you like) but a focus on a biscuit malt character that lasts and lasts, alongside a great hop bitterness. Much more dry than in the past, as well. I first noticed the change about 2007 (or so) on a visit to the Cheese Cave in Faribault, where the Maibock paired nicely with one of their sampler plates.

Schell's Maifest was one of the early seasonal standouts from that brewery -at least insofar as the modern Craft Era is concerned- and it's truly been my favorite seasonal from them since they brought the new Bock recipe into the fold. It's always been on the strong side (varying between 6.5 and just over 7 %), but as with the Maibock from Summit this beer has become more classically refined and to-style in the past few years.

This year's hops were Smaragd, so it's got some of the character that I loved in the Emerald Rye but it's balanced with heaps of sweet malt character -- almost like an over-the-top Pils. Sweeter and with less of the focus on biscuit malt than the offering from Summit, it is also a bit boozier. And those hops! About two of these is my limit most evenings.

At any rate, the season for these beers is seriously on-the-wane: Summit Summer replaced Maibock sixers on the coldbox rail at my local packie, and Maifest was down to its last 12 pack. Drink up!

ZAP likes this.
  17. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

Schell's is the best lager brewer in our state. I don't even waste my time drinking any other lager.

18. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I have not seen a single bottle of Schell's Maifest this year. Summit Maibock is seen in abundance now that Frostline is gone. I enjoy them both but does not seem like I will drink the Schell's this year. Seems they skipped Maifest and went straight to Goosetown and Shocked Radler.