1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Schell's Arminius

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by gatornation, Mar 29, 2014.

1. maximum12 likes this.
  2. oh hell yes.

3. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Sounds like Hopfenmalz on steroids. Looking forward to it. Kudos for coming in cans.

4. I also was a little reminded of hopfenmaltz., which was another really good beer that many liked but never really took off commercially. That seems to be the fatal flaw with a lot of the stuff they brew.

5. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Love what this brewery is doing. Just got a sixer of the retro Premo cans today along with Maifest......loved the pils variety 12 pack...looks like another winner here..

6. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Is it out, yet?

7. leezy

leezy Aficionado (185) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

To quote a certain brewer at a certain brewery "when it's ready"

-At the top of the info page says "Coming in May"

8. joelwlcx

^^^ I didn't see that part... I guess I was too much drawn to the main text.

9. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

I also felt the need to go look this up today to find out when it's out. May can't come soon enough.

10. leezy

Preach!

11. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Nice. After getting a Jacks Abby Hoponius Union as an awesome extra, I've been looking for an India Pale Lager around here, and although they dont call it an IPL, at 6.5% and double dry hopped, I think it will pass.

Sounds tasty. Score.

12. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Just got an e-mail from the Schell's Social Club and it said that this beer will be out in July. I really can't wait to try this one!!

Powderhornphil and BrettHead like this.
  13. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Man, Schell's is really high on my drinking list right now (Goosetown all day!). Their beer does NOT move fast in Iowa City, which is a damn shame. I know one Hy-Vee location does not even carry them because no one was buying it. That gives me the sads deep down in my plums.

14. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Any day now...
    [​IMG]

15. Pintofbrown

GET HYPE!!!

BrettHead likes this.
  16. igor

igor Aficionado (190) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

Im looking forward to this too. Visited Schell's on the 4th and was hoping this would be part of the tasting after but it wasn't. :(

17. joelwlcx

Waiting...

18. leezy

Heads up for the NW peeps, Premier Liquor in Osseo gets their shipment this Thursday

Chaz likes this.
  19. wspanic201

wspanic201 Aficionado (205) Iowa Apr 26, 2010

Where are some good spots in IC to get Schells? I'm in Coralville and never see it at Wine and Spirits.

20. Will be making a stop there....:cool:

21. Pintofbrown

Well that's your problem right there, Coralville Hy-VeeWine and Spirits would probably be one of my last stops in general for a beer run.

Waterfront Hy-Vee in Iowa City is easily the best place to go for an extensive Schell's lineup. John's is a close second.

22. leezy

Heads up, the distributor was hoping this would arrive in time to make it onto the delivery trucks but that unfortunately didn't happen. Might want to call around tomorrow and see if it's in at Princetons, Haskells MG etc..

23. MNAle

MNAle Savant (335) Minnesota Sep 6, 2011

Haskell's in Burnsville says it has been released and will be in stores next week.

24. joelwlcx

It's in the fridge right now :)

morimech likes this.
  25. MNAle

I picked up a 4 pack this afternoon from the cooler at MGM's in Prior Lake. This is a smooth beer. The hops are evident in the aroma, but mild to taste. You get the hops on the initial taste, but the end is mostly malt. Nice balance, but IPA drinkers will probably find it to be not hopped enough. I like it, though.

26. Chaz

I crushed a can earlier this evening. I'd say that there's enough to recommend it to anyone who might be interested in giving it a try, so long as they understand that "I.P.L." and I.P.A. are not really that similar (different yeast types and characteristics can do so much, after all, to the overall profile of a beer), and that Arminius is dis-similar to the I.P.L.s that I've had the occasion to try in the past. I still haven't tried a Jack's Abby for example, so while I know what America's pioneering innovative lager microbreweries have been up to, I can't place Arminius into that frame of reference.

I sampled back to back with a Schell's Maifest, and while they're in the same very generic 'strong lager' category (6.5% ABV and-up), each is really quite distinct. I might get another four pack tomorrow -- unless I find some Hefe, first. :D

garymuchow likes this.
  27. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (800) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

Off topic, but do you have any idea where to find some of that good old Schell's Hefe? All I've been seeing is the variety packs. I enjoyed trying the pack, but would much rather have the Hefe. It seems that the variety pack took the cooler space of the Hefe.

28. Chaz

Supposedly the Hefe was released in six-packs, but I can only guess that Day Distributing and maybe Locher Brothers (and that red-headed stepchild, College City, of course) made the lion's share of the pre-orders in the near-Metro area; J.J. and Hohensteins ordered bupkis from what I have been able to determine. Oh well -- next year we'll see both 12-packs and 6-packs, again (or so I've heard.)

29. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Considering that's it's the best damned hefeweizen on God's green Earth, I find it's limited nature frustrating. Once upon midnight wary I heard Schell's takes pre orders and only makes enough to fill said orders. I have no idea if this intel is valid, but it certainly adds to it's legend. In my own mind that is.

ZAP likes this.
  30. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (800) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

I have seen six packs around, but was holding off for a twelve pack. Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up, and buy a six pack or two until places start blowing it out a month from now. That's the one benefit I see the consumer gaining from Schell's releasing it in July. Stores consider it a summer seasonal, and close it out with the other summer seasonals even though its only been on the shelf for a month and a half. I've bought at least two dozen cases of it on close out in the last eight years--some for as little as $3.99 a six pack.

31. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

I was not impressed with this beer at all. The nose was seriously lacking, and taste wise it didn't bring much to the table. I was really hoping for something along the lines of the Jack's Abby IPL's, but this beer isn't even close.

32. morimech

Add another disappointed drinker to the Arminius list.

33. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

If it is anything like Great Lakes IPL Silver and Gold, they brewed for the 25th anniversary, I'll enjoy it.

After reading the few reviews, I guess it won't, but I'll still give it a try.

34. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Had it at APN and thought it was solid.

35. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Well, Schell's doesn't bill it as an India Pale Lager, so I'm not sure what folks were expecting. It is hoppy, and pale, and a lager. Well made and delicious in my opinion.

36. Thought it was solid brew as well. Definitely not an IPL as it states clearly it is a pale lager. Really enjoying this and the Weisse Pack. Would like to see more of Schells beers in Pounders.

37. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

If anybody believed this beer was going to be really hoppy they just don't know Schells. They don't make out of balance beers or really hoppy beers.

HammsMeASAP likes this.
  38. morimech

FTFY

39. MNAle

I'm just now mostly through with my second Arminius. I'm normally an ale drinker, with English-style bitter or APA being my go-to styles. But, this is a REALLY nice lager. Even better the 2nd time, perhaps since per-conceived expectations of what it might be like are gone. And it IS a hoppy lager, but well-balanced. It is not a hyper-hopped piney lime-aid lager. I will definitely be buying this again.

40. ekimmel

ekimmel Aficionado (140) Minnesota Apr 22, 2014

Picked up a 4 pack this weekend and now have 3 I'd be willing to trade for something else. Not a fan.