1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Schell's Nobel Star Collection

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by pourmeadrink, Nov 20, 2013.

1. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Savant (470) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

Anyone seen any regular SotN lately?
    InfraRen likes this.
  2. They had it at Stinson but that was a few weeks ago now. Not sure if it's a quick mover though.
  3. InfraRen

InfraRen Disciple (60) Minnesota Nov 18, 2013

I've decided that I'm in the Christmas spirit, and that I have too many new goodies at home I already need to drink so I'll be passing on the Star of the North #1 "stash" I discovered the other day. As of two days ago there were 2-3 bottles at Byerly's in Chanhassen. If you're in EP/Chaska/Chan area, go get 'em!
  4. InfraRen

InfraRen Disciple (60) Minnesota Nov 18, 2013

^Anyone grab these?
  5. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

I just got my first bottle of Framboise du Nord. Can't wait to try this one tonight.
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  6. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

The next Noble Star offering was bottled this month. It's called North Country Brunette and is a Berlin-Style Marzen Wheat Ale aged in wood barrels.

I know they let these beer bottle condition for a while. Anybody know when this will be out?
    BeerGoogler, BrettHead and Ristaccia like this.
  7. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Savant (470) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

That sounds excellent. Stoked for this one too.
  8. Pug

Pug Savant (365) Minnesota Jun 6, 2012

How long do these bottles stay good for? I don't mean aging for the sake of aging, but I bought a bottle of Framboise last month at the BX and I'll be drinking it Saturday night and I'm hoping it'll still taste okay (compared to the dusty bottle of Fallen Apple I found that wasn't quite so good anymore) - but if I luck out on stumbling across the Star of the North - would it hold up?
  9. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I had a Star of the North and a Framboise recently, both delicious as ever.
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  10. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Had a SotN yesterday. Pretty damn good. Do not think it has evolved much. Certainly has not deteriorated. Have another bottle that I will drink sometime this summer.
  11. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Assuming you aren't planning on holding onto these beers for decades to come, I'd be willing to bet that when you get the urge to open your bottle it will still be good-very good.
  12. Pug

Great! Thanks, folks. The one I have should get cracked tonight, but I'm still hoping I can stumble across Star of the North.
  13. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Saw 3 bottles of SotN at Team Liquor in Shorewood today. Buy at your own risk only because of how they are displayed on the top shelf in the middle of the store.
  14. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (420) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

Great beer but I can't imagine a Berliner being a great candidate to age. Maybe the raspberries will fade but I don't know why you'de want that. These releases along with the Pils 30th Anny - Schells is killing lately.
  15. Doesn't Schell use their original (well, post-Repeal era)140 bbl. cypress fermentation tanks, rather than barrels, for these beers?
  16. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

17. dragonaut

dragonaut Aficionado (220) Iowa May 29, 2005

Berliner Weiss is known for maintaing its character rather than actually developing when aged. That said, they hold up really well over time. But the fruit character of Framboise du Nord will surely fade over time.
  18. Indeed!
    "Four generations later, current President Ted Marti and his son Jace, also German-trained brewers, revived a very rare cypress fermentation tank, purchased by third generation President Alfred in 1936 and located in a cellar built by Otto, for their newest Berlin-style wheat beer series: the Noble Star Collection... They used an authentic mixed culture of yeasts and bacteria from Berlin for fermentation and aged it in one of their original cypress wood lagering tanks from 1936."
  19. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (410) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Just popped a Star of the North last night. Still damn good!
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  20. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (270) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Has it changed at all for the better or worse? Wondering if I should grab a few more bottles
  21. Pug

Framboise Du Nord was damn tasty Saturday night.
  22. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (410) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

I dont think it changed at all actually. It was still crisp and flavorful!
  23. SotN and FDN hit the trifecta of what I look for in a MN based beer.
    *Still available
    *Still taste fantastic
    *Excellent extras for trades

The only drawback for me is that FDN could be a little more wallet friendly.
  24. deadbody

deadbody Savant (335) Minnesota May 10, 2010

FDN seems to have faded the berries just a bit. I like that as I thought it was too raspberry heavy when opened. still have one SotN left, saving for a nice sit on the patio day
  25. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Finally opened Framboise Du Nord, what a beauty! Not overly tart and a delicious raspberry flavor.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  26. Nivek43

Nivek43 Aficionado (160) Minnesota Mar 22, 2012

Framboise du Nord won a bronze model in the German-Style Sour Ale at the World Beer Cup 2014!
    shadetree67 likes this.
  27. nograz

nograz Aficionado (145) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

Is SotN still out there... sitting on a shelf, lonely, waiting to be purchased?
  28. cl3

cl3 Savant (250) Wisconsin Aug 16, 2013

I saw a bunch sitting on the shelf at Island Wines and More in Cumberland, WI. If you are up for a road trip, that is.
  29. nograz

Thanks. Maybe can ask the in laws if I can't find it around the cities. They live in Grantsburg, but I know my farther-in-law passes through there often enough.
  30. I believe there is still a case or two at Haskell's Minnetonka.
  31. nograz

Do we have a release week for the North Country Brünette? I believe I saw that it was bottled in the first few days of April and they said they would let it bottle condition for a few weeks. Figured that would put us about this week or next week.
  32. siouxbrew

siouxbrew Aficionado (110) Iowa Nov 22, 2007

North Country Brunette has hit South Dakota. The (unconfirmed) word I heard was that the Sioux Falls distributor received only 5 cases - and they cover a very large geographic area of SoDak.
  33. darky

I picked up a bottle today in Sioux Falls.
    [​IMG]
  34. darky

35. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Go on...
    KV12482, BeerGoogler, leezy and 3 others like this.
  36. I love the fact SD gets this before Roch...
    darky and BrettHead like this.
  37. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Never try to understand beer distribution :confused:

We had Hoptimum before parts of California :eek:
  38. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (270) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Went to four firkins tonight to try the Brunette. It is very good and flavor profile reminded me a bit of La Folie. Probably my favorite from the series thus far.

Jace (head brewer from Schells was there) and he mentioned they are working on reconditioning their other cypress tanks for use. Currently they have 2 tanks and have 8 more that are being restored. He'd like to eventually have the noble star beers available year-round. Next up is a berliner aged on cherries.

I'm excited
    SipIt, darky, nogophers and 6 others like this.