1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Schlafly's American IPA (AIPA)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HOP_KING, Mar 29, 2013.

1. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (160) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

Is an amazing beer, finally drinking again after many in 2012. This beer doesn't get enough love on BA. Anyone else a fan?
  2. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

It is one of my top 10 beers
    HOP_KING likes this.
  3. Easily one of my favorite IPAs. Beer doesn't need hype to be good.
  4. TechTriumph

TechTriumph Savant (275) Virginia Oct 26, 2011

Absolutely a fan! Not too hard to get either (at least in VA). The only question for me is whether I like Schlafly's AIPA or TIPA more... just too tough to call.
  5. HOP_KING

Though I'd argue hype is not the same as love.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  6. I have a case of it right now. I love this beer , I like it better than their TIPA and I love it too
  7. vidguy17

vidguy17 Aficionado (205) Iowa Feb 2, 2013

Excellent beer. I bought a few sixers when I moved from St. Louis to Iowa, and lucky for me Schlafly is now getting distribution here so I will never miss out.

Tasmanian on draft at the Tap Room was also top billing.
  8. I love the Tasmanian and have never had the AIPA. I have someone traveling south ( Louisville KY) from Chicago who could grab me some of this. So it is out right now?
  9. HOP_KING

My buyer got it from St Louis where it currently sits in mass quantities on grocer shelves. I do not see it much in Chicago but if places carry it normally I expect they have it now.
  10. Schlafly's doesn't get a lot of attention on here, which is fine with me. The Tasmanian is outstanding, I'm cellaring a barrel aged BW from them and can't wait to try the AIPA.
  11. Schlafly is pretty available in Louisville.
  12. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

It has been my go to beer lately. It is pretty easy to find and I havent been disappointed with it. I do think I like the TIPA better, but both of these really surprised me.
  13. I *love* the TIPA. The AIPA is good too, but I think my perception of it is affected by the shadow of the TIPA, which is amazing.
    Shagator likes this.
  14. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (465) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

I live in St Louis and am not a fan of Schlafly at all. I typically avoid their beers because I've been disappointed so many times. This is one that I'm going to have to try though. I've heard so many great reviews of it.
  15. HOP_KING

Interesting, to me Schlaflys is a major plus in a city that IMO sorely lacks quality craft breweries. Though ill give STLIPA by Chestnut a shoutout as it is also very good.
    creepinjeeper and ramnuts like this.
  16. I've only had it once, since we can't get Schlafly here in MN. It is an outstanding brew!
  17. TIPA > AIPA, but yeah AIPA is GOOD.
    skinsfan likes this.
  18. HOP_KING

I prefer AIPA to TIPA...but both excellent hoppy IPAs IMO.
  19. TIPA over AIPA any day. Schlafly is solid across the board.
    skinsfan and HOP_KING like this.
  20. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (465) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

There's just something about Schlafly's that I don't care for. I've tried most everything that they make, besides the TIPA and AIPA and haven't found a single one that I thought was better than average.

I'm going to pick up some of the AIPA to give it a try. If it's good, I'll continue to buy it. I'm more than happy to support a local brewery but I'm not going to buy something just because it's local.

I had a taster of Urban Chestnut Winged Nut last weekend and hated it. I haven't tried the StlIPA yet although it's on my list.
  21. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I was of the same opinion of Schlafly and I was hesitant to try the AIPA last year. I was pleasantly surprised. Im actually drinking one right now. However, I think the TIPA is better and was the best surprise of any of the new beers I have tried in the last year. Dont write these off based on the other Schlafly offerings
    skinsfan likes this.
  22. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Couldn't agree with this statement more. Lots of "above average" over there, but the hype the AIPA and TIPA seem to be getting is very well deserved. Both are phenomenal beers.
    skinsfan likes this.
  23. The reserve barleywine isn't barrel aged rather it is aged on oak chips or spirals, still a great beer though tho, they have had a barrel aged one on tap from time to time at the tap room tho but not bottled.

I used to live AIPA but after being spoiled with TIPA I don't much care for it anymore, I always pick up a vegetable taste that I'm not fond of now. Schlafly is a solid brewery and a staple in STL and is the reason many laws have changed in favor of brewpubs in Missouri.
    There barrel aged imperial stout I think is incredibly underrated (especially the fact you can go into about any store and pick it up anytime throughout the year in STL), as well as alot of there beers because it seems alot of people don't appreciate a simplistic consistently well crafted brew.

Also there black ipa is one of my favorites on at the brewpub currently along with casked coffee stout with a ton more extra coffee!
  24. I'd also like to add that schlafly makes one of the best pumpkin ales...period
  25. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

26. Huge fan and I've got a fresh six pack in my fridge right now.
  27. I was thinking that when I wrote BA but I was too lazy to run to the basement and look at the bottle to confirm.
  28. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'll agree with others, TIPA is better but AIPA is a damn good beer.
    DrStiffington and skinsfan like this.
  29. BrewSTL

BrewSTL Aficionado (245) Missouri Mar 14, 2013

Love it... I heard they are tweaking their XIPA this year. I haven't been a fan of it in the past but after what they have done with AIPA and TIPA I'm excited to see how the X turns out this year.
  30. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Yeah the Export IPA was very average last year so glad to hear they're tweaking it.
  31. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

I snagged a single at a bottle shop in Indiana just because I wanted to try it. Needless to say, I'll be buying a larger quantity next time. It stacked up with some of the better pale ales/IPAs that I've had quite frankly. I told my buddy that it's at least a middle-class man's Zombie Dust. I thought it was that good. My next step is trying them both side by side with some folks at one of my tastings. I won't tell them which is which.
  32. Had it for the first time last year in NJ. Awesome IPA. Wish we could get more!
  33. JustinF

JustinF Zealot (90) Missouri Feb 26, 2012

Hmm. What have you had from 4 Hands, Perennial, Civil Life or 2nd Shift? (Although 2nd shift is technically outside the city) I'm a fan of Schlafly, and more specifically what they've done to pave the way for and support other local craft breweries, but to dismiss the rest of what's out there is nuts to me. Each of the breweries I mentioned have beers that I think are completive on a national scale...
  34. TIPA and AIPA are definitely the best beers I have had from Schlafly, and probably the best beers I have had from a St. Louis brewery.

I fail to see the brilliance of Abraxas from Perennial, and for Perennial to charge anywhere from $11 (year round beers) - $24 (BA beers) is absurd to me. The year round to me is just average and not worth the premium pricing.

I have enjoyed a few Civil Life beers and the growlers are very reasonably priced.

I think 4 Hands is starting to find its groove, but I can find many beers I like better in comparison to their lineup (Lugene > Chocolate Milk Stout, Saison Dupont > Pyrus/Prunus, etc.)

I admit I haven't had anything from 2nd Shift, but plan to in the coming weeks.
  35. Fluteswell

Fluteswell Savant (255) Maryland Feb 15, 2011

Found some yesterday bottled 9 days ago. Good Stuff!
  36. I've had AIPA twice in two different years and picked up the same vegetal twinge, almost on the verge of skunkiness. I shant be fooled thrice.
  37. JustinF

JustinF Zealot (90) Missouri Feb 26, 2012

Anything hoppy from these guys is fantastic- Try Art of Nerosis or Brew Cocky- Not sure which of these is currently out and about- Both are incredible and are a couple of the beers I had in mind when I mentioned nationally competitive St. Louis brews. Also the Albino Pygmy Puma is an awesome straight APA.
  38. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Victory Headwaters Pale Ale is one of the best pale ales I've ever had, yet nobody here talks about it.
    ESeab and Starkbier like this.
  39. Thanks for the recommendations! I will keep an eye out for them.
  40. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Very delicious but haven't seen it fresh in Jersey for a while