Schmaltz Brewery's Hebrew Shebrew

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SummitSeries72, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Zealot (516) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

Schmaltz Brewery in Brooklyn New York has been around at least since the early 2000s. When I first saw their offerings, beer friends and I had a chuckle over them and some of the schmaltzy names they came up with for their beers. We thought they were more gimmick than anything else. I didn't really take the brewery very seriously. But last night, I was at a restaurant that had Hebrew Shebrew on tap. It is a triple IPA with an ABV of 11%. It is rated 89 on Beer Advocate (90 is 'Outstanding'). I have to say that this might actually be what I consider to be the best IPA that I have ever had (in my opinion, of course). And I've had the privilege of trying some of the very best IPAs out there. Last night really changed my opinion about Schmaltz Brewery. I will no longer dismiss them as a gimmick brewery. Hebrew Shebrew made me sit up and take notice. They are on my radar now. Anybody else have a chance to try Hebrew Shebrew? Curious to hear others' takes on the beer. I thought it was delicious and unbelievably well balanced, alcohol well disguised. Beautiful beer in my humble opinion.

2. Fujii13

Fujii13 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 New York

No person should even confuse this beer as an IPA, let alone rate it highly as one. This is, at best, a low to mid 80s barleywine.

3. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Maven (1,475) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Not sure where you got that rating for this beer. Just looked it up and there haven't been enough reviews posted yet to earn it a score.

4. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

5. SummitSeries72

Now this is pretty interesting, and this is not the first time I've experienced this. On the Beer Advocate Website, there is no rating. However, if you use the BA iPhone App, it rates the beer 89. I've seen discrepancies like this before.

Chaz likes this.
  6. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Might be a good idea to make a post about a possible bug in the site help forum. Some bugs in programs are inescapable and often are only caught by users.

7. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have never had this particular beer.

But I too at first thought they were a bit gimmicky, but back in 2009 or 2010 I had their 13th Anniversary beer which I thought was very good, and have tried most of their stuff since, all solid.

SummitSeries72 and drtth like this.
  8. ResIpsaLoquitur

ResIpsaLoquitur Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2010 New York
    Trader

FWIW, schmaltz brewery is located in Clifton park, not brooklyn.

She brew is part of their 518 series, didn't realize it was released outside of 5he 518.

It's a pretty decent beer

SummitSeries72 likes this.
  9. SummitSeries72

I love it. Very enjoyable brew.

10. jmdrpi

Pooh-Bah Society

They started in San Francisco, and prior to the Clifton Park location opening in 2013, they were contract brewed. Although their Coney Island series was brewed out of Brooklyn at some point before those brands were sold off to Boston Beer in 2013.

Chaz likes this.
  11. ResIpsaLoquitur

Trader

o
    I'm aware of the history. My point is the brewery is in. CP which in fact is the only one they ever had iirc. Prior they were contract brewers

#11 ResIpsaLoquitur, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  12. jmdrpi

Pooh-Bah Society

yeah, I was reinforcing your point to the OP.

ResIpsaLoquitur likes this.
  13. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

(Reinforcing your point :wink:)...The Shmaltz brewery in Coney Island was more or less a promotional gimmick (ah... I guess you could even call it a "sideshow") and was billed as the World's Smallest Commercial Brewery, with a batch size of 1 gallon - yeah, "gallon" not "barrel" (about 1/5th the size of a typical homebrew outfit). So, less than two sixpacks of beer at a time
    So, not a lot of beer ever came out of there before being wiped out by Sandy.
    http://beerpulse.com/2011/08/coney-island-brewing-opens-as-worlds-smallest-brewery/

14. ResIpsaLoquitur

Trader

For anyone ever in the area you should stop by the brewery they have some things not available elsewhere. , kind of surprising that for a brewery as widely distributed as they are the tasting g room is really not much more than what you find at much smaller places like HF and Treehouse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.