1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Scientists Discover "Miracle Molecule" in Beer That May Make You Stronger, Skinnier and Healthier

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd BA Founder Staff Member

Full-story: http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20120607/10212/nicotinamide-riboside-miracle-molecule-obesity.htm

Video: "Nicotinamide riboside, a hidden vitamin with a high potential"

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

hmmm...seems that this molecule has the opposite effect on me.
  3. FosterJM

FosterJM Member

I used to be over 300 pounds, dropped it all down to 216 I cant really run anymore due to arthritis in the knee. But I drink a ton of beer and havent gained much back. Maybe 10-15 lbs. Must be something in the beer I would say!

Cheers!
    ehammond1 likes this.
  4. bum732

bum732 Member

I was thinking the same, when i think of "stronger, skinnier and healthier", beers drinkers are the last thing that comes to mind.
  5. Todd

The findings are obviously not talking about merely drinking beer. They discuss a specific compound in beer (and other foods) that could potentially be synthesized or extracted and then be taken at specific dosage amounts/concentrations in order to gain benefits.
    seanluvsbeer likes this.
  6. bum732

bum732 Member

Oh i know, i just thought the whole "stronger, skinnier and healthier" line was comical. This kind of reminds me when they discovered resveratrol in red wine.
  7. draheim

draheim Member

I'll have to view this video when I'm not @ work. They certainly chose an interesting name for the vitamin. The root word "nicotin" doesn't conjure up many healthy images.
  8. bum732

bum732 Member

Well, that's the name of the chemical based on its structure, so i don't think they "chose" it.
  9. Todd

I believe it's a reference to niacin/nicotinic acid (a vitamin of the B-complex), which does.
    midworken likes this.
  10. draheim

draheim Member

You guys are talking to a total science ignoramus, so thanks for the info. Learned something new today. Will pass on half-baked explanation of beer's health benefits to the wife.
    seanluvsbeer and AutumnBeerLove like this.
  11. leedorham

leedorham Member

Interesting. Not sure if it has anything to do with the molecule but milk is an excellent appetite suppressant if you're trying to keep cravings at bay. Beer, not so much.

Also, I like the "hmm, yes. I am a scientist." moment at 1:17 with the centrifuge.
  12. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

I always thought that losing weight meant burning more calories than you consumed was the key to losing weight. Damn that college education.
  13. leedorham

leedorham Member

Well this is a little different. The molecule also reportedly increased muscular performance, which is something consuming fewer calories doesn't help with at all.
  14. draheim

draheim Member

So there really is a connection between beer consumption and bench press? Someone needs to notify Overlord.
    danieelol likes this.
  15. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

I just stick with the traditional methodology here. Consuming less calories than you burn will never fail.
  16. Rempo

Rempo Member

Believing in a drug based off a mouse study is like trading for a beer based off the locals' ratings. ;)

Always an interesting read though.
    Bluecane, cosmicevan and jtmartino like this.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Member

I get the impression you didn't pay attention to the video.
  18. Agold

Agold Member

I think I saw this infomercial on public-access at 4:38 AM.
  19. leedorham

leedorham Member

The funny part is that all started because he was responding to a guy who mentioned how much he benched totally out of the blue. It had nothing to do with the question in the op.
  20. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

ADD is a curse.

as is being logical and critical.
  21. draheim

draheim Member

Oh. So kind of like this thread.
  22. leedorham

leedorham Member

You're right we need to get back on topic. We were actually discussing Nicotinamide riboside the other day at Crossfit while doing super sets of 10 consecutive muscle-ups in between 20 calorie rows & handstand push-ups.
    draheim likes this.
  23. draheim

draheim Member

What were you drinking?
  24. leedorham

leedorham Member

Me and my Puerto Rican girlfriend were drinking RR sours. I wonder how much Nocotinamide Riboside is in sour beers vs IPA's.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Member

Funny, in late 70's fitness nutrition teacher and author Adelle Davis was a champion of consuming brewers yeast powders. I was on a regimen that definitely included nicotinamide riboside in its formula, an awful tasting powder called Pep Up.
  26. syu3003

syu3003 Member

I am pretty sure that the "miracle molecule" is not Nicotinamide riboside, but is in fact EtOH.
  27. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Member

"However, researchers said that the molecule is extremely small and difficult to reproduce.
    'At the moment, we can't even measure its concentration in milk,' he warned. 'So it's impossible to know how much you would have to drink to be able to observe its effects.'"

I would like to get a hold of the actual research report and find out the details. Because all I get from this is,

A) We're not mice.

B) Even if this were some "miracle molecule" if you have to consume more than one or two beers/day to get enough Nicotinamide riboside to have an effect on your body, the extra calories/alcohol would offset any potential health and weight loss benefits.

That being said, there's certainly enough research out there that two beers or glasses of wine per day for a male has potential health benefits.
  28. midworken

midworken Member

Eh, wouldn't give it much weight, but interesting nonetheless. It will probably be like how soybeans were the miracle plant, or when vitamin ccould cure any, now it seems to be pomegranites. Nothing beats good ole fashion healthy eating and exercise.
  29. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Member

Kind of interesting, kind of wierd.
  30. midworken

midworken Member

Yeah, something like 800 pounds of red grapes per day are required to get enough resveratrol to get its anti cancer benefits, or 75 liters of red wine.
  31. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

I am confused... my calendar does not say April 1.
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  32. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

It's all the grappling you do.
  33. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Member

You beat me to it!
  34. acevenom

acevenom Member

This is pretty interesting. We often forget that beer was a significant part of diets until recently. Maybe there's something to this.
  35. FosterJM

FosterJM Member

That was a one time thing. He had it coming. He talked to much smack for a little guy. The napoleon disease in him needed to be smacked out.

Cheers!
  36. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Member

Alcohol? ;) Lol

On a serious note, I think this compound is just like any other. If the proper amount is consumed, the benefits will show. If too much is taken, it could end up not doing anything.
  37. Overlord

Overlord Member

Benchpress=beer consumption and appreciation ability. It's basically a direct line correlation. This is known.
  38. Vaison

Vaison Member

They must have edited out the commercial that followed this story, which was sponsored by InBev.