1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Scientists Suggest Beer After Workout

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by mjshearer1, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/10/scientists-suggest-beer-after-workout/

Once again, my so-called "bad habits" are vindicated by science. :)
  2. I like to crack an OE in the parking lot before I go in. Gives me liftin' fuel
  3. What about before and during?
    YogiBeer and 7clutch like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Breaking news: beer has more carbs than water!

This kind of thing has been reported for football (read: soccer) and long-distance runners for a few years now. They're usually talking about 5% lagers and lower, not the 8+% hop-bombs populating LNBA.

I don't think selecting "the right type of post-workout beer" is a problem for most BAs.
  5. hagbergl

hagbergl Savant (275) Maryland Aug 27, 2009

I have to say...I'm not so sure I want to get buzzed while sweaty, tired, and out of breath. But different strokes and all that rot.
    mfnmbvp and RobertColianni like this.
  6. I used to live in Alabama, and Sundays were the only days I could sleep late. I used to do a 10-15 mile run around 10AM, which is just about as hot as you would imagine. The last two miles of that run, I was thinking of nothing but the water and Hennepin I was about to consume.
    gjoker321, ubenumber2, ESeab and 3 others like this.
  7. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (305) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Great, another excuse to drink beer during the day. Whose paying these clowns?
    gjoker321 and RobertColianni like this.
  8. who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?
    sokol21, szmnnl99, IpeeA and 3 others like this.
  9. Been doing this for years....
    herman77 and DrewCapzz like this.
  10. I drink a beer right after every run and I used to drink one after wrestling practices in college. Definately a good way to end a workout.
    gjoker321 likes this.
  11. I had heard of this, and then heard it was non alcoholic beer. Which isn't mentioned in this link, but interesting nonetheless
    Azrael likes this.
  12. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

screw that just stay home and do OE curls. take a swiggy at the top of each rep. youll have some killer guns before you know it ;)
    kirkse likes this.
  13. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Yet another reason to increase my bench press.
  14. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

Same ones who came up with chicken mcnuggets, probably.
  15. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I am a scientist, and I heartily endorse this statement :D
    dachshunddude86 and baconman91 like this.
  16. Time to start leaving a six-pack of Flower Power in my trunk next to my box of protein bars.
  17. The post workout beer is similar to the post workout chocolate hoarding: because your metabolism is running like rocket fuel, it just burns right through whatever you take in. It's not really a good idea, though. The theory is if you're going to indulge, do it immediately after your workout. I don't think any of us are serious about our fitness enough to even listen to this study, though. This coming from a 25 year old, skinny, 5'10'' 165lb BA that doesn't really have any intention on staying an ounce below 275lbs at 35...

Nothing better than lining up a drunk dude receiving a drop pass at the blue line. I love playing aggressively against idiots that float into the A Division and still think they can show up toasty.
  18. mnphish

mnphish Savant (365) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

This is complete nans. Alcohol slows the recovery process as well.
  19. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

I experimented with this over the summer while training. I felt noticeably better after a SNPA than after a combination of water and food. Far from scientific evidence, but it was enough for me.
  20. I do enjoy a pint especially during the summer months after a work out.
    The trick is not to over indulge.
    gjoker321 and Thecherryman like this.
  21. beergoot

beergoot Advocate (545) Colorado Oct 11, 2010

an excellent "sports drink" when knocking out some miles on the bicycle trails...
  22. There was a German study that found non-alcoholic or low alcohol hefeweizen was better than water or sports drinks for German athletes.
  23. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Savant (345) Georgia Dec 6, 2009

It's always great to find confirmation bias in favor of my favorite hobby! Looks like I'll be building up that six pack in no time!
  24. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

A friend and I are avid Crossfitter's, and we are planning on marketing a protein beer. Ideally, it'll have about 9 grams of protein per 12 oz. So, if you drink 3 after a workout, you'll be hydrated and your muscles will recover well. Oh, and you'll get buzzed too.
  25. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Zombie Dust + Steroids, check.
    gjoker321 and baconman91 like this.
  26. How are you getting "hydrated" thru an alcoholic beverage??? I like the protein concept, but the fact remains that the liquid makes you feel like you're quenching your thirst, but the alcohol is really just negatively affecting both your body's need for water, and your tolerance (drunker faster).
  27. What would a scientist know about working out in the first place?

EDIT: NERDS!
  28. As someone else said, this is not new, heard this several years ago.
    DelMontiac likes this.
  29. Someone told me alcohol is like poison for your muscles after a workout, but he wasnt a scientist soo...
  30. There is bound to be some truth to this actually. Consider the Belgian Saison, it was not meant to be a lets get sloshed dejour drink but a low alcohol re-hydrating energizing water substitute for seasonal workers. That being said, in the summertime when drinking a low abv pilner during the day, I've never felt better. :D
    Pinioned likes this.
  31. There is a dog-eared copy of the earlier study hanging from the side of one of the beer refrigerators at my kettlebell gym. I think it has been there for at least four years.
  32. DaSolomon

DaSolomon Initiate (0) New York Oct 12, 2011

This is totally correct, what ever study OP is referring to is crap. Alcohol is a essentially (it is) a poison and your body treats it like a poison, its going to attack it and break it down first. When drank anytime after lifting weights, as your muscles actually grow out of the gym during recovery, alcohol will have an adverse, negative affect on muscular growth; It will limit the potential muscle gains that can be achieved from your lifting. After lifting all you want is protein shake, shortly followed by a massive protein and some carb meal.
  33. The only weights I lift on a daily basis gradually get lighter with each lift. Add the fact that these weights are comprised of glass which have been filled with beer and I've got myself in a real pickle. Perhaps I should start this "workout" thing you speak of. I'd ride my bike, but its too fucking cold outside, sooooo no.
  34. This is complete ignorance. The body treats alcohol as fuel, first and foremost. Delicious, delicious fuel, which, unlike poison, the body will happily and greedily metabolize.
  35. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

OP is a complete crock of shit. The "professor" mentioned in the article did not publish peer-reviewed research; the statement is based upon a claim made at a conference of some kind.

And it's bullshit. Period. Here is a real study talking about the effects of alcoholic beverages post-exercise on hydration levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9338423
  36. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

I too have heard of this
  37. alcohol inhibits the secretion of ADH..nuff said.
    gjoker321 likes this.
  38. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Having a beer immediately after a heavy workout made me feel so much better that I've since replaced the workout with another beer.
    jtdolla911 and herman77 like this.
  39. I have already been on this train for a while, and all this time I just thought I was an alchy.
    Hopsiam14 likes this.