1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Scientists Suggest Beer After Workout

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by mjshearer1, Feb 19, 2013.

1. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I'll file this one next to the Soursop "research".
  2. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Carbonation & Carbohydrates? Soda has that too.
  3. Ahh-Nuld would do this all the time with his buddies after a workout and they were F'n Huge. no homo. drink beer after a hardcore workout. sounds like a plan to me. Arnold has been my hero since I was a boy. still is today while making secret lovechild with consuela
  4. This is a common thing. Many times after long runs or hard muay thai sessions we drink a beer or two..and I've met a few french muay thai fighters that would fill their water bottles with beer or even vodka , Most famously Jean-charles Skarbowski.A very high ranked muay thai fighter for his time that was on an early episode of the ultimate fighter show, and trained completely drunk and dominated every fighter with ease......I'm not sure they do it for health reasons (or any of us do)
  5. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Check out the book "Born to Run". These super athletes get wasted on home made corn beer 5 nights a week and go for crazy runs the morning after (100s of miles at a time). However, their beer is much less alcoholic and has quite a few nutrients in it. Ours is mainly high abv sugar water!

There have been many societies in the past that have used types of beer before/after tough exercise (pyramids of Egypt for one).
    BeerLover99 likes this.
  6. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I love that book.
  7. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (260) California Aug 2, 2012

I always drink the night before my MTB ride to "Carb" up. The times I haven't done so, I tend to cramp up and start feeling tired towards the end. BEER POWER!
  8. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

ehhh, not sure about the facts Either way ..there's an Argument for either side. Humans, "some" like to sit & Argue {uurrhhghumm..clearing my throat -- "Debate"} any and Everything.
    - Whatever..I'm Not really one of them, got better stuff to do. BUT I know I've seen Many pics of Arnold Schwarzenegger in his Peak Comp. days with a glass of Wine, Beer, & even a Joint..right After a workout, so...just sayin'.
  9. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

fredmugs likes this.
  10. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

This reminds me of the early 80's when I was in my 20's and would work out at the gym and go to Barons restaurant (Parma, Ohio) with my buddies afterward and drink fish bowls of Labatt Blue for 30 cents a glass!
  11. I take whey protein after lifting but have no issue drinking a brew after that if I so desire one. If I can't eat and drink what I want every now and again then why the hell am I working out!!?:confused:
    cfh64 likes this.
  12. danieltweten

danieltweten Zealot (80) Washington Feb 21, 2013

I'm a cyclist. After a long ride I like to slam some water and take a shower. Then head out for a pint! Helps me push through my workout ;)
    BeerLover99 and jdamaso84 like this.
  13. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Savant (305) New York Jun 11, 2011

I actually cheered out loud when I read this.
    BeerLover99 likes this.
  14. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Just be sure not to mix your supplements (like pre-workouts) with alcohol.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  15. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Endorphins from exercise + ethanol = feeling goood. Just don't forget to have a glass of water.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  16. Shit. I'm running out of excuses for not working out.
    BeerLover99 and dsal89 like this.
  17. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

So it seems that the very existence of these studies is dubious at best. Additionally, from what I have read in articles that make this claim, the suggested mechanism whereby beer outshines water for hydration is carbonation. Thus, while it is conceivable that some beers might have a superior hydrating effect to water, club soda would probably be better than both of them. Beyond this, one needs to consider just what beer we're talking about. Is this a 3.2% Berliner or a Black Tuesday? I would not be shocked if the positive effects of the carbonation from the Berliner outpaced the negative effects of alcohol, but that doesn't mean that slamming beers after a workout is always healthy. Really, let's use some common sense-from a pure health perspective, beer is NOT a workout supplement or a health food. Even if it has some moderately beneficial effects, there are much much better things to put in your body to rehydrate and fuel your workouts. It does, however, taste damn good, especially after a hard day of riding/climbing/running/lifting/whatever you like to do, and that's plenty enough reason alone to enjoy a couple after a great day outdoors!
  18. BlackElixir

BlackElixir Zealot (80) Wisconsin Jan 22, 2013

I'll tell you what. Nothing beats a good brew after finishing a nice 10 mile run! One of life's simple pleasures for sure!
    BeerLover99 likes this.
  19. lsiberian

lsiberian Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 11, 2013

Anything that motivates you to workout is a health food in my book. I have noticed beer can give me a nice pump. ;)
  20. Steamer

Steamer Aficionado (220) Missouri Dec 13, 2012

Just finished a work out followed by a very nice DIPA. I don't know if the brew is helping me rehydrate, but there is no doubt it is contributing to my mental well-being!
  21. zr580rat

zr580rat Aficionado (100) Minnesota Oct 14, 2008

Last fall I ran a half-marathon race and immediately following I had two 22 oz Founders Breakfast Stouts on tap (bartender had no idea what he was pouring). Let me tell ya, I certainly felt great and felt like I had zero muscle fatigue or cramping, but unfortunately I think that was not healthy. I would kind of compare this perceived effect to drinking alcohol in the winter. You go outside and don't feel as cold, but overall the effects of hypothermia actually begin quicker when under the influence. Alcohol decreases your core temperature because of the blood moving toward the skin, making us feel warmer. Alcohol dehydrates you, which isn't great after exercise. Certainly a beer after exercise and in moderation isn't a terrible thing, but I would say there are better options for the body. Drinking a beer certainly feels great, and part of working out is being able to have extra calories, but as far as it being healthy, I'm not buying it.
  22. b-one

b-one Aficionado (230) California Feb 6, 2013

I don't understand this term 'workout'. Do they mean walking downstairs to fetch another beer?
    dieBlume likes this.
  23. Pinioned

Pinioned Aficionado (195) Kentucky Dec 16, 2012

So what I'm hearing is "Skip the workout and drink a beer". Done and Done!
  24. Science!
    Schwantz likes this.
  25. MIA4IPA

MIA4IPA Aficionado (240) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

I'm sure they are talking a MGD and not a delicious DIPA!!
  26. Do you even lift?
  27. Anything citrusy and lowish ABV sets me right after soccer. Remember when you were kids and your mom would bring oranges for halftime and you'd pretend they were mouthguards? Well, now you can do the same, but its got alcohol in it! Win-win! My go to is Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss
  28. crushin weights stackin plates, bro

two scoops of jack3d in my BCBS
  29. miscer?
  30. no one would admit to that.
  31. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Not exactly groundbreaking news. [​IMG]

Provided it is low alcohol it does serve a purpose, of course you are better off with self-tailored mineral water/protein/supplement based after workout drinks. I would say beer is better than Gatorade though.
  32. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

The study focused solely on glycogen restoration; ethanol is broken down into acetaldehyde and then into acetyl CoA which is essentially fuel for your body. Metabolizing ethanol would indeed waste any effort put in at the gym as your body stops shuttling nutrients to your recovering muscles & oxidizing fat and diverts energy into ethanol metabolism.
  33. jtmartino

There was no study, but thanks anyways. Please see my earlier posts.
  34. jtmartino

Except it would be if it were true. But it's not, so please stop believing it.
  35. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I also suggest beer after a long, preferably cardio workout. It gets you extra fucked up. It's also assuredly terrible for you.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  36. crossovert

it is true, in germany it is even marketed to pregnant women, show me the ill-effects. Mineral water is best, but na beer totally kills gatorade or any other worthless hfcs liquid and if you are a moron enough to think those drinks are better, you really are a moron.
  37. What about "instead of"?
    5thOhio likes this.
  38. jtmartino

lol, good one bro. Here's some light reading for you about alcohol's effects post-exercise and how it, over 4%, delays rehydration. The other "ill-effects" of beer and other alcohol are readily available on the internet or at the library. Take your pick.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9338423

Unlike Gatorade, alcohol dehydrates the body. It also taxes the liver and inhibits gluconeogenesis. Also unlike Gatorade it doesn't provide a substantial source of readily-available sugars to the cells in the body. Even Gatorade is able to restore blood sugar balance after exercise and provides electrolytes like sodium and potassium that beer doesn't have.

There is absolutely no comparison between beer and Gatorade post-exercise. To think otherwise would be moronic. And remember that this entire thread is based upon a lie - see the link in my post #49 above.
  39. crossovert

im not talking about alcoholic beer... why don't you read instead of getting crazy.
  40. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (270) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

Having a craft beer (meaning 1, maybe 2) after a workout is supposed to be a great way to replenish your sugars. Supposedly the complex carbs and sugars in all-barley beer are much better than the simple carbs and sugars in light adjunct beers. I'm not saying light beer is bad for ya.....well, yeah....I am saying that. Drink craft!