1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Scotch Ale vs Scottish Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BrownAleMale, Jan 3, 2013.

1. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

every time one of these threads come up (scotch ale, not haggis) I bring up Arcadia's Loch Down Ale.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/454/6384 the rating isn't particularly high on here, but I really dig it...

not really sure what the distro of Arcadia is, either....

Chaz and BrownAleMale like this.
  2. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Actually they would not use the word Scotch at all. Just 'whisky'. And there's no 'e' in it.

2nd the vote for patto1ro's blog. Dig into the recipes presented there. Do not put any stock in the BJCP guidelines when it comes to historical accuracy.

StuartCarter likes this.
  3. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Scottish brewing in the 20th century: a bizarre mixture of the dull and the weird.

rlcoffey likes this.
  4. Yeah I've lived here for 32 years and I've never heard any of my fellow scots call whisky scotch.

As for the beer, I was raised on Tennents lager, Tartan spesh and mcewans 70/80 . Not the best it must be said

5. No Youngers #3?

6. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

What term do you use to describe rabbits from Wales? Welsh Rabbit is already taken for something that is neither from wales or involving rabbit.

7. patto1ro

Just found a really good Welsh Rarebit recipe that includes Mild Ale.

rlcoffey likes this.
  8. rlcoffey

Yep, and that makes it just as much a "real" style as anything actually brewed in Scotland.

Horribly misrepresentative name, but thats life.

9. rlcoffey

Of course it does.

I almost commented on your article this morning that the Younger's 60/70/80 from 1957 seemed to fit the bjcp guidelines pretty well. :)

10. patto1ro

Wait until you see the ingredients before you say that.

11. rlcoffey

Well yeah, that was the problem. The hopping was probably a bit high, but that would depend on the AA% of the hops.

12. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Don't be stupid. Rabbits in Wales are termed Oryctolagus cuniculus, European rabbit or common rabbit. If you really don't know what you're asking about you might even be fooled by Lepus europaeus, brown hare/European hare.
    Try to keep this about beer.

Fixed that.

13. Welsh Rarebit is an irrelevance here as we don't have two separate products bearing the same name.

Two points. The Scots are a very proud people and it's reasonable to expect that a Scottish brewer would want to add "Brewed in Scotland" or "Scottish Ale" to the label.Yet to do so would lead to false expectations because few potential buyers would actually know the true nature of Scottish beers.
    Secondly , the "made up" style guidelines actually do refer to Scotland! From the BJCP ;"Traditional Scottish session beers reflecting the indigenous ingredients (water, malt), with less hops than their English counterparts (due to the need to import them). Long, cool fermentations are traditionally used in Scottish brewing." Pure eyewash of course.Hops do grow in Scotland :this is about a currently brewed beer;
    "Clydesdale IPA
    A light summer drinking ale brewed uniquely using Clyde Valley hops along with Marris Otter malted barley making it an easy quaffing favourite.
    It is a light coloured IPA making it an especially pleasant session ale which captures the pedigree of the famous draught horses still to be seen around the Strathaven area."

And even if hops didn't grow there the breweries were all near ports and the easiest/cheapest way of moving goods is shipping.Same way as the English brewers imported them.
    And by the way, the climate in Edinburgh is the same as Burton's. Why would fermentation be cooler?