Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

scratches in the bottling bucket

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by steve50, Feb 23, 2012.

1. steve50

steve50 Savant (255) New Jersey Dec 10, 2006

I just noticed some light scratches on the bottom of my bottling bucket. Will this cause a problem? do I need to get a new bucket?
    Thanks, Steve

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (855) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

Light scratches should not be a problem if you clean and sanitize properly.

3. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you clean it well afterward. If you plan on making a beer with brett or bacteria in the bucket then there is a chance that something can survive in a scratch but if you just brew "regular" beer and clean it well, it shouldn't cause any problems.

4. premierpro

premierpro Savant (375) Michigan Mar 21, 2009 Subscriber

5. premierpro

premierpro Savant (375) Michigan Mar 21, 2009 Subscriber

I still use the first bucket I ever bought in 2007. It has quite a few scratches and smells like Ale. It is still making good beer.

I think I screwed up with this new system!

6. Aiptasia

Aiptasia Aficionado (235) Florida Feb 6, 2011

Should be fine in a bottling bucket. Don't use it as a primary.

7. steve50

steve50 Savant (255) New Jersey Dec 10, 2006

thanks all

8. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (855) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

I disagree. Minor scratches in the primary are not an issue if it's cleaned and sanitized properly. And if they were big enough to be an issue, they'd also be an issue in a bottling bucket

joex444 likes this.
  9. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Savant (485) Nevada Dec 4, 2008 Verified

How did the scratches get there? Never use an abrasive or store harder items in the bucket. If treated well, buckets will outlast many other pieces of brewing equipment

10. Cadmando18

Cadmando18 Aficionado (135) Oregon Feb 14, 2015 Subscriber

Any scratch can hide food for bacteria. The more scratches you have the bigger the opportunity to have bad bacteria hanging around. That's pretty much the issue with scratches. I have used the same bucket for over 7 years now and it looks like the day I bought it.
    Tips for Plastic Buckets:
    1. Never store metal brewing equipment in the bucket.
    2. Never stir anything in the bucket using anything metal or harder than the plastic.
    3. Never scrub the bucket with any type of hard bristle brush.
    4. Store the bucket upside down on a micro-fiber cloth, and let it listen to classical music in between it's uses. Handle it gently and lovingly and never talk harshly to it....

Ok well, there's 3 good tips there...
    Cheers!!!

anteater likes this.

11. I think i spotted the odd one out

Cadmando18 likes this.