1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sculpin Bottle Dating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by coocookuhchoo, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Does anyone know how far forward Ballast Point "drink by" dates Sculpin? I just started grad school in VA, and being from MD, I've never had the chance to get it. I saw it in my local bottle shop here and was excited to try, but the freshest bottle was drink by November 15th. Most of the time "drink by" dates are far past when you'd actually want to drink the beer, especially for IPAs. Was I right in thinking it would be less than fresh?
  2. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

6 months.
    coocookuhchoo likes this.
  3. Well that was easy. Thanks. I guess I'll wait until I can find a fresher one for my first try.
  4. yamar68

Anytime. I would certainly recommend Sculpin fresh if you like tropical IPA's. Cheers!
    jzeilinger likes this.
  5. Having one that was 3 months from the bottling date and it was half the beer it originally was/is.
    oldedog likes this.
  6. fresh Sculpin, and while on the subject, fresh Green Flash West Coast IPA are stellar when fresh. But fresh to me is weeks from the bottling. I buy a case when I see them less than a month old. Which is seldom. If it is older, I pass...
    My local case shop got a "fresh" case of West Coast a few weeks ago...bottled in February...where is the weak link in the chain?
    powpig2002 likes this.
  7. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I am pretty sure that sculpin drink by dates are 90-120 days out. so it was probably either 2-3 months old. Not terrible, but obviously even better when fresher. I love Sculpin.
    smutty33 likes this.
  8. Im pretty sure they bottle Sculpin well after the "best by" date
    Biff_Tannen likes this.
  9. What? Do you mean well before?
  10. Edit...

Don't let me sway you, I have my own feelings on sculpin and ballast point. If you feel the need for something fresher bm me.
  11. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Nah, their date is now three months out from bottling on lower gravity beers (Sculpin, Big Eye, Yellowtail, etc), and a year out on higher gravity beers (Tongue Buckler). They used to do a six-month bottling date below their batch code on the neck, but their new Best By dates printed on the bottom of the labels follows a different scheme. A best by date of November 15th on Sculpin should still be perfectly delicious, if not completely optimal.
    smutty33 likes this.
  12. yamar68

Thanks for clearing that up - so that 6 month system must've been very short-lived? I thought they only recently started dating bottles.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
  13. shand

Yeah, the six-month system was rather short lived. Ironically, I'm not sure if it even lasted six months. The six month system was inked on the neck of the bottle in a batch code (IE BE###) for Big Eye, and then a numerical date below it (IE 070112 for July 7th, 2012). Now they're inking best by dates on the bottom of the label that follow their new dating standard.
    yamar68 likes this.
  14. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

15. shand

16. The bottles of Sculpin that arrived in stores here in central NC the first week of August has an "Enjoy By" date of 11-23, so that date must be more than 3 months after the bottling. The beer in those bottles didn't match what came out of a keg in Durham a week and a half ago.
  17. kinopio

kinopio Savant (370) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

Why not just put the Bottled On date on the bottle? The posts in this thread show how dumb and confusing the __ months after bottling system is. And not the julian date either. 10/11/12. How hard is that?
    jzeilinger likes this.
  18. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

This!

I came to say the same.......there are a bunch of threads on here of the same topic.

Cheers
    oldedog likes this.
  19. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

The Sculpin in Florida right now has a best by date of 1/8/13. Should I be scooping this up. All I have ever had was old Sculpin so I never really understood the appeal.
  20. shand

Yes. Yes you should.
  21. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Sorry for bumping and old thread but my 6 pack says best by 4/18/13 so it should be really fresh right?

It just tastes like a standard IPA. Maybe I'm just not a fan or don't see what the big deal is.
  22. I should caveat that the majority of my Sculpin drinking experience is draft vs. bottles.

On a handful of occasions I have had Sculpin beers that were EXCELLENT. The majority of my Sculpin drinking experiences were that the beers were good but not exactly something to write home about.

I used to think the explanation of my varying Sculpin experiences was a freshness factor: EXCELLENT Sculpin = very fresh while good Sculpin = not as fresh.

I have read a number of posts where folks have opined that Sculpin beers vary (from batch to batch?). I am starting to think that Sculpin is a varying beer for reasons other than freshness.

In my home state of Pennsylvania, 6-packs of Sculpin cost something like $17.99. That is just too much money for a beer which can vary in its taste!

Cheers!
    LambicPentameter and mackeyse like this.
  23. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

They keep changing it up. It was best by 120 days then it was bottled on date now. Now it's best by again but I don't know how many days.
  24. Saw you tried to BM me. Inbox forever full. Check my profile page if you want my email address...
  25. glaze3

glaze3 Aficionado (140) Nevada Jul 29, 2010

Bringing this back from the dead- Just saw six packs with a best by date of 8-10-13, no way it's dated at 120 days out. Anyone know the real story here?
    dar482 likes this.
  26. The last six-pack of Sculpin I bought on 2-20 had an enjoy by date of 6-29: 129 days plus the time to reach a shelf in central NC.
  27. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (625) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

I saw bombers in Cali the other day that said good till September. They may have been super fresh but no way that beer is good 5 months from now.
    dar482 likes this.
  28. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Wow, this is weird that they made their Enjoy By date so far out. Anyone have a guess on how long it is now? 6 months out they date it?
  29. I have a Dorado in the fridge with a drink by 2/28/14! 10 - 12 months on a DIPA? Maybe they should think about lowering the price and actually selling their product in a timely manner
  30. mrmambo

mrmambo Aficionado (125) Georgia Jan 21, 2004

http://www.ballastpoint.com/date-stamp-guide/

They recommend drinking within 120 days of bottling. The date code is the bottling date--year plus day (in Julian calendar format).

The six I just bought today in Atlanta was bottled on December 23, 2013, so it's 23 days old. They just started releasing it here within the last 7 days.
    smutty33 likes this.
  31. wsandrew

wsandrew Aspirant (35) California Jan 6, 2012

I've read through all of these, but am still confused. This is what is at the bottom of a Sculpin lable on a bottle that I just purchased (today is Feb 4, 2014).
    SC 425

My guess: 425 = batch number.
    14 = year
    029 = date. (Jan, 29 in Julien time, meaning the 29th day of the year)

Does that make sense? If so, is it the "enjoy by" date, or the "bottled on" date. Why put the 14 in front?

I should say that I live in San Diego, just 10 mins down the road from the Brewery. I'm blessed. But the six pack was on sale for $12, which lead me to believe that it might be because it's an old batch. If it really was bottled on the 29th, that would make it less than a week old.

Lastly, I should also say that it is delicious! But as a rule, I like to know how to figure out the dates.
  32. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (200) Texas Jan 27, 2013

Yup .. It was bottled on the 29th day of 2014. Pretty fresh. I usually dont buy anything more than 2 months out.
  33. wsandrew

wsandrew Aspirant (35) California Jan 6, 2012

Thanks man! Was just confused as the numbers were backwards in relation to what everybody else was quoted as stamped on their bottles. In other words, its somewhat counter-intuitive to have "14029", when others were suggesting a different format. It should have read--from what I gathered from the accounts of others--"02914". Anyway, not hard to decipher once you understand the julien system, but they could certainly make it easier.

Annecdotally, I returned to Vons (also known as Safeway in other regions) and tonight a sixpack of cans was only $10.30!! And it was brewed Jan 27, less than two weeks ago. It is good to live in San Diego :)
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  34. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (375) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

Do yourself a favor and get Sculpin in the cans instead. Stays fresher longer and the canned date code is on it. Usually has a sticker on the outside of the cardboard.
  35. Agreed! Sculpin is one of my favorites, and I will only buy in the cans now, although I used to poo poo cans completely. I hope everyone will trend towards cans, it makes a huge difference.
    I had my first Heady Topper last week and drank it from the can, and I must say, surely there is a reason for canning!