Sculpin Cans

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pelican5, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

One step closer! Cant freakin Wait!

"One step closer to cans...label layout has been approved by the TTB...outer boxes complete (see pic)...now just waiting for the completed cans and we will be sipping beer where glass is forbidden...." - from Ballast Point

[​IMG]

ALitteral, Cresant, craigo19 and 16 others like this.
  2. Oh hell yes.

3. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (355) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I can see it now, 5 dollars per can.

4. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

Haha!, and given the size of the box, $60 for a 12 pack!

benjaminahudson and loony4lambic like this.
  5. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

This is good, because I will know that the cans are fresh, the bottles here never are, EVER.

6. I hope those cans are BPA free... Raulsky doesn't really care. He kids, he kids.

Gatch and SeaOfShells like this.
  7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

That's actually a 6-pack box. See the blank can there for size comparison?

Hope these make their way to Texas. I'd be much more inclined to pick up older cannings than older bottlings in Austin (although right now we're getting it ~10 days out from bottling. Whee!)

And I'm guessing it'll be priced around the same as 6-pack bottles... so $2.50 a can.

8. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

I still don't understand why sculpin in so expensive. Excellent beer but almost twice as much as their other IPA which is while not as good, definately close. Love the cans though.

Stockfan42 and Gatch like this.
  9. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I must agree with this.

Gatch likes this.
  10. jmmy3

15 bucks for a 6 pack? Sadly, you're probably not far off but in that case it will be just like the bombers, collecting dust somewhere. Makes it harder for me to even get some fresh ones if I actually wanted to stomach that price. I could understand if it was a DIPA, then package it by 4 and charge 9.99, but for a 7% IPA they are outrageously priced. Funny thing is when I manage to get it on draft it's pretty fairly priced.

jcb7472 and mackeyse like this.
  11. PUMPED!!!!

12. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Don't y'all get 6-pack bottles in Massachusetts? We get them here in Texas and, indeed, they are $14.99. A Much better "value" than the bomber, if you can call it that, lol.

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  13. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

It is a better value for the 6'er but a bomber is good enough for me.

14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Our sixpacks are currently with expiration mid April. Taste fresh to me.

15. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Can't wait. This and Uinta HopNotch in cans...summer is going to be great.

16. ThirstyFace

I think its unfair to quibble over the ABV, because if it registered in that fuzzy area of say 7.7, would it be fair then? I think quality is more important than some stupid, really useless when you think about it, categorizing label. Sculpin may not be new, and therefore bubbled up with whale gaga broo bro, but it's a stone cold classic IPA that'll give 9 out of 10 IPAs a run for their money.

Gatch and Pelican5 like this.
  17. The cans should be cheaper at the end of the day. I suggest you not buy Sculpin in a can so I can buy what you left on the shelf! At around $2.50 to $3 a can, you cannot go wrong if it is a pint! This is awesome news. Now, we just need to see it on the shelves....

18. ThirstyFace

Where I live the difference is 2 dollars. 13.99 vs 15.99 per 6

19. Indeed. Summer just got brighter. :)

20. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

adopting the Evil Twin pricing model :D

21. jmmy3

Nah I've never seen a 6 pack. Definitely a better value than the bomber though since it's priced at like 10-11 bucks here.

22. jmmy3

Plenty of great IPAs get distributed out here so that doesn't cut it in my opinion. New has nothing to do with it, I just don't think I've ever paid that price for a bomber of a regular IPA. It's steep, for sure. And the bigger problem is at that price, they don't exactly fly off the shelves, so my only choice is probably old Sculpin.

23. Something I have posted previously:

I should caveat that the majority of my Sculpin drinking experience is draft vs. bottles.

On a handful of occasions I have had Sculpin beers that were EXCELLENT. The majority of my Sculpin drinking experiences were that the beers were good but not exactly something to write home about.

I used to think the explanation of my varying Sculpin experiences was a freshness factor: EXCELLENT Sculpin = very fresh while good Sculpin = not as fresh.

I have read a number of posts where folks have opined that Sculpin beers vary (from batch to batch?). I am starting to think that Sculpin is a varying beer for reasons other than freshness.

In my home state of Pennsylvania, 6-packs of Sculpin cost something like $17.99. That is just too much money for a beer which can vary in its taste!

Cheers!

24. Fresh

Fresh Aficionado (160) California Dec 27, 2012

Can't wait! So perfect for when glass containers aren't allowed!

25. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

Ah damn, I can't spatially count it seems.

26. Since the day I picked up 16 oz. cans of Heady at the brewery for $3 a can [or 18.75 cents an ounce], I have tended to compare every subsequent beer purchase to that purchase. Yes, it was an at the brewery price, and yes I'm talking about Heady but if a 12 oz. can of Sculpin is $2.50 [or 20.83 cents an ounce] and I can get it without going to the brewery, it's comparable at least price-wise.

Gatch likes this.
  27. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Ruination is only 7.7% and considered a DIPA. It's nearly the same price (or was when they were still making 6 pks). Besides, what's the difference between a $9.99 4pk and a $14.99 6pk? It's the same price per beer. Also, if you're comparing it to bomber prices, a bomber of Sculpin is $7.99. Times two would make it $15.98. A 6pk of Sculpin costs less than 2 bombers, and you get 28 more ounces.

28. jmmy3

But most of the time I don't want to drink 22 ounces in one sitting. Plus the point I was trying to make was if they're going to charge such a high price then cut it to a 4 pack, I'm aware it is the same unit price but it makes the product more available to people's varying budgets. Most people do NOT want to throw down 15 bucks on a 6 pack. By your logic we should all just buy beer by the case then, since it is the same price per unit, hell, maybe even a little cheaper? Of course 4 packs > 6 packs.

29. These posts are highly related.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  30. ThirstyFace

Oh, we are talking bomber prices, then yeah, Sculpin bombers are expensive, but then again, bombers is a game for fools.

Have a nice day

31. JohnnyJam

JohnnyJam Aficionado (240) Arizona Aug 23, 2012

I love this beer and in AZ a bomber is $8.99. $14.99 for 6-pack bottles. $19.99 for a growler. I hope the can price is more reasonable.

32. 5 years ago I would've been excited about this. But experiences with stale, overpriced bombers (& even bad draft in CA recently) have caused me to write off this beer for good.

33. SeaOfShells

Apparently there is a quality problem with Sculpin that I am unaware of. The beer is always flawless.

34. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Read their facebook post about this. Bunch or moron hipsters saying "NO WAY BRO BAD MOVE, CANS ARE FOR BUD LIGHT"

35. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I live 8 minutes from the brewery and there is a serious quality problem with it.

36. SeaOfShells

Are we talking minor inconsistencies or entire flavor profile issues? Every time I have had it (30+), it's been good. Maybe I'm abnormally lucky.

37. SeaOfShells

It's really going to *ahem* suck if Sucks actually changes formats to 32oz bottles then. I agree though. I almost always split bombers with a friend/girlfriend.

38. people who complain about the price of Sculpin need to income harder, it comes out to what, $5.50 a bomber?

They can go and drink Lagunitas or Longhammer or whatever craft beer poor people drink and leave daddy to his rich mahogany study full of world class beers.

39. jmmy3

5.50? Maybe in CA. If you've been paying attention though, the prices are much different on the east coast. Shipping across the country isn't much excuse either, considering Racer 5 is available for like 5-6 bucks here, and that is an excellent beer as well.